Alexi's vocals.

This is exactly why I havn't posted before this. Your question doesn't exactly get answered...

I don't necessarily want to sing exactly like Laiho, just that general style. I really have no idea what to do when singing, or how to distort my voice.

And I spent a good hour searching for this before making this thread. I know how annoying reading the same thread again and again is, but I really didn't find anything about this through searching.

this is how i do it, put your throat on the borderline between puking and breathing, and it goes back and forth. if u can control it then u got some sort of distorted vocal.
thats as good as i can say it

The Soulforged said:
just go for the black.death metal voice that is what he went for or tried to anyway. personally i think his vocals on somethingwild weretn too bad

That doesn't really help the threadstarter, since he doesn't know how to even do that. He asked for the techniques used to create harsh vocals, or to distort your voice, telling him to do black metal means nothing to him.

Hey guys, this is my first post on the CoB forums (Im a Dungeon forum regular here at Ultimatemetal)

Im also wondering how he does his vocals, they're sorta unique in a way... They aren't totally fuckin death vocals, but they have ALEXI written all over them imo.

I was asking a mate not even an hour a go how he reckon Laiho did his vocals, but he wasn't sure either.

I'd love to learn how to properly do harsher vocals, but I don't wanna mess up my voice, as I'd rather do power vocals...

oh i'm sorry how could i be so insensitive. you start by smoking 2 packs a day and drinking at least a 12 pack every night. then you suck a lot of janne cock, and viola, you have alexi's shitty voice.

lol a friend of mine once said alexi sounds like a chick.. and another one thought there was a girl singing
i don't really know how to do it, but it can't be that hard if alexi does it and a guy i know who sings in a deathmetal band sings exactly the same... oh and there's probably no way of not damaging your voice... just listen to alexi at concerts.. you can't understand a word he's saying

Elysian893 said:
oh i'm sorry how could i be so insensitive. you start by smoking 2 packs a day and drinking at least a 12 pack every night. then you suck a lot of janne cock, and viola, you have alexi's shitty voice.

You probably didn't see my post earlier. If you think his voice is shitty, its your opinion. I don't see the point of asking the threadmaker why he wants to sound like him, only because you don't like it. He obviously likes it and thats it, let him try to learn what he likes.

belladonna said:
lol a friend of mine once said alexi sounds like a chick.. and another one thought there was a girl singing
i don't really know how to do it, but it can't be that hard if alexi does it and a guy i know who sings in a deathmetal band sings exactly the same... oh and there's probably no way of not damaging your voice... just listen to alexi at concerts.. you can't understand a word he's saying

Actually, there is a way to do it without damaging your voice. You have to steadily practice and eventually you will get "used to it". It takes a long time for some people, and not everyone has or can have the same technique. It is a way of sining, and somewhere here in Finland they teach you that kind of thing, don't remember where. But if you continue singing like that for a long time, there is always a small risk of having some sorts of problems like a tumor or something, even if you sing correctly.

Raistlin Majere said:
i told ya the truth lad, why being offended?

Although that may help my voice sound like Alexi's, it doesn't actually help me sing like him...

And it appears the link to the online guide has been edited out of th above post for some reason...

i am pretty sure his "growl" also has something to do with a soundboard trick, if you watch the tuska 2003 vid.. he starts talking at the end of a song, and his voice is the gravelly sound and suddenly it goes normal like someone flipped a switch right in mid speech.

Otränad said:
uuuuuhh.. Love these threads:p

Thats a clever photoshop in your signature. Much better than the "Alexi playing the monkey" and the "Alexi playing the sheep."

In regards to this thread. Start by opening your mouth and breathing outwards, its a skill that most singers use.

Practice singing clean for atleast 30 min.. Having a piano nearby is a must, after 5 months i went up an octave and had more control of my voice.
before working on your growling/grinding you really should practice singing clean, it's a good warm up.

You should also try drinking a whisky or voodka shot before starting.. or hell lemon juice works too. The whole drinking/smoking thing wont really help you that much, sure it would help you in a few years.. but what you really are doing is fucking up your voice. But it's important to get all that goo out, if you're a heavy drinker / smoker you should really do it everytime you start singing.

Also make sure that you are using your stomach while growling, it might be hard for some people but if you dont want to fuck up your voice take my advice.