Anders Nordin / Martin Lopez / Martin "axe" Axenrot?

Best Opeth drummer?

• Anders Nordin

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Martin Lopez

Votes: 124 75.6%
  • Martin "axe" Axenrot

Votes: 31 18.9%

• Total voters
No, it's because of members who ask the same regurgitated questions 55 times in a month. It's also because it's that time of year again where a new album gets more noobs, like yourself, to join the forum and act like their shit don't stink and that the questions they're asking haven't been asked before. This is because they're too lazy to use the search function, which is there for a reason.

IS GR CONCPT ALBM!?!?!?!
WHOS BETR MARTON OR AXE!?!?!?!
WHERD PETE GO?!

Agree somewhat, but let's just stop with the sarcastic comments and allow those threads to die off into page 2+ where hopefully they don't get resurrected.

I lose what, a e-fight? HO NOES! I couldn't care less of your joining date, this argument is so retarded...

Then why continue your meaningless debate? Just stop and move on.

Do you even play drum?

and no I won't get out because ''Illidan'' says so.

A lot of drum parts in those albums were repetitive and Lopez was at his peak on Ghost Reveries and if you can't hear that it is because you're fucking deaf.

You don't even have an opininion or something constructive to say, it is because of stupid members like you that the forum have become shitty. Can you try to say something intelligent or revelant or is it too hard for you.

I direct you to the "edit post" feature. Also, to the "X" button on your browser window. By "Get out" I meant that I disagree wholeheartedly with the claim that Lopez's work on Still Life is "ordinary". I am sorry you needed to overreact, or felt threatened by my use of those two words. Also, do not PM flame me.

By "Get out" I meant that I disagree wholeheartedly with the claim that Lopez's work on Still Life is "ordinary".QUOTE]

That would have been a better answer. It's impossible to tell my opinion without being flame by ''old'' members. C'mon all I want is to discuss the subject of the thread without reading the same ol' ''get out newb'' of ''shit thread'' , thank you. And If you don't want any flaming PM stop being an asshole, problem solved.

My initial reaction is to say Lopez hands down, but it really is only fair to wait another few albums to see how the 2 stack up. I've seen Opeth w/ Axe 2x now, and can say that he seems to play just about everything s.l...o....w..er than you'd expect. There is also a bit of attention to detail lacking in certain areas when he's playing older material.

I like most of the drumming on Watershed however... I dig how restrained it is at times, and how up front it is in others. Also, although it's not really on this topic, I think the kit sounds a bit more 'natural' on this disc than GR did.

I like most of the drumming on Watershed however... I dig how restrained it is at times, and how up front it is in others. Also, although it's not really on this topic, I think the kit sounds a bit more 'natural' on this disc than GR did.
Natural? I'd have to disagree with ya, Watersheds drums (at least what I've heard so far) are particularly over compressed, and thats even comparing it to other metal albums, which are almost always heavy on gain reduction. I can say the kit has a bigger, more powerful sound, which is maybe what you are getting at, but that typically means less natural, as unprocessed drums will more often sound quite small, fairly weak, and extremly dynamic.

2 cents.

A year ago I would have said Lopez, but Axe has really proven himself both on the new album and live. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt especially considering how much he has improved playing Opeth songs. He can only get better (hell, just listen to the drumming difference between Nightmares Made Flesh and Unblessing the Purity...given time and the right music, he can really shine).

how about instead of a winner takes all vs. thread, we focus on the unique characteristics of each drummer. i'm sick of the "lopez's feel" talk. what is feel? does only lopez have "feel"? wtf?

i'll make a quick comparison. lopez had a smooth and flowing and transitional feel. he couldn't help it, he was only latin. axe has a distinct snap. he seems to be more ahead and on top of the beat than lopez was.

both drummers are fuckin amazing. i think that what opeth stands for brings out the musicians' subtleties...which is an uncommon phenomena in metal music, exposing the "illusion" of elitism that is a metal head's recognition of actual music. thanks opeth!!!!

+1.......I think they're both great drummers..it will be interesting to hear how Axe develops as Lopez did between MAYH and GR..

I think Opeth still sounds like Opeth should sound.

So I guess that means Axe is doing a damn fine job.

I agree with those who say Axe is more solid and consistent while Lopez has more feel but is loose at times. But in Watershed, Axe is excellent...good feel and solid. But when he plays Lopez stuff, he messes up the Lopez touches that we all know and love. I seen him play live yesterday, and he still can't quite capture the Lopez magic.

I don't think Axe fits Opeth at all personally. A lot of the stuff he did on Watershed was just an imitation of Lopez with sloppier fills and unoriginal mellow drumming. Lopez is arguably one of the only drummers I've ever listened to that wasn't predictable in some fashion. Sure, he has his own unique style, but it constantly evolved and there was always a surprise right around the corner.