Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

I think I'm getting a better idea of what you are talking about. Like kind of a "big" sound, lots of overtone, sort of an underlying echoey thing?

Well when I did my growls for Bleak, to get that kind of sound I do it very loud, and I try to open my throat up a lot. I do use my throat when I growl, but usually only to kind of shape the sound I guess is how I would describe it. And I think my jaw usually juts forward somewhat. I dont know if any of this helps at all

I use the throat too, like he said, to shape the sound, but you can shape the sound with your cheek walls, and also by "showing your teeth" while growling.

While doing this you will notice that the air is going underneath the tongue, goes from the side of your tongue and then underneath it, the tongue is a bit lifted and is barely touching the teeth.

And I think that's where ZEE SOUND is coming from, so using the throat, tongue, teeth and cheeks is essential to shape the air coming from the stomach

What makes Wandering Taco have more of ZEE SOUND is the fact he's got stamina like fuck, he doesn't get tired easily while growling, and Bleak and Master's Apprentices (especially this one) require a lot of Stamina, just like fast songs like Bathe in Blood, and the Breeding Death EP, etc.

I think Stamina also gives you the ability to growl louder, but this all depends, the fact it's louder or lower doesn't make it better or worse, what is important is for the vocalist to know his limits and use a level where he won't loose stamina in the middle of a song/performance.

All right, so this is my first attempt at The Ascension. I'm trying to do it like the Tony Bullard tutorial and I haven't had that much practice, so don't be too hard on me :D http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/1/1983889/Ascension.mp3

I know the timing is badly off most of the time, I think it's my microphone (built in microphone in the laptop) because my timing isn't perfect but not that bad :D I tried to fix the first half a bit, didn't really work too well so I just left the second half.
Very interested in feedback:)

what shirt? that's barely a shirt, you are showing off again! What's all that stretching shit huh? Maricon Puto hahaha that was some funny shit at the beginning :rofl:

yeah I know the feeling, allergies are a bitch

but once a person has the technique down they won't fuck up too much if the throat isn't under too much attack, in your case that's clearly seen because..

I have the feeling there is some serious growling going on here, just a little bit more of dynamic/variation and that's it :)

can you do normal screams? like change from a growl into a powerful manly scream?

example: the beginning of Soul Evisceration

Soul Evisceration voice sample

it's 99% me, you will notice that because of the fuck up, I say Neurobiosis and it's supposed to be Necrobisis or something haha I'm not sure what's supposed to be said, when they (Peter and Michael) sing it it sounds like Necrobisis

that was pretty good, very brutal and one can still figure the words, not some cannibal corpse styled shit

All right, so this is my first attempt at The Ascension. I'm trying to do it like the Tony Bullard tutorial and I haven't had that much practice, so don't be too hard on me :D http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/1/1983889/Ascension.mp3

I know the timing is badly off most of the time, I think it's my microphone (built in microphone in the laptop) because my timing isn't perfect but not that bad :D I tried to fix the first half a bit, didn't really work too well so I just left the second half.
Very interested in feedback:)

too br00tal for comments?

O sorry salami, I was going to comment on that but I forgot, I was rather busy. Youre definately developing the right sound, now you need to work on perfecting your tecnique and whatnot. Keep up the br00talness.

haha

well since no one here has the guts to tell you how bad that was..

kidn man :) actually I think you are getting the technique right, but not the breathing, many times you finish a verse too early, you can tell the growl was made by a last breath

the tempos are bad like you said, and when you try to emphasize a word or scream it's too loud, you have to keep a similar level all the time

try not to use too much air, make good use of the air you've taken in, if you haven't used all of it for a verse, breath the air out before you get a new dose (don't get a new dose on top of the air that was already in your lungs), breathing is really key for the Stamina

get a good mike as soon as possible too

hope I was of any assistance dude

ah shit Taco got ahead

Hey guys, I've been inactive here for a damn long time, sorry..

I've read the whole thread from the beginning now and it's really great to hear other peoples growls :)

So here's my attempt on "Trail Of Insects" (1:22 min):
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/3/1986617/Trail%20Vocals%20Short.MP3

I've been "starting" ca. a week ago and I don't think it's that horrible for the beginning ;) (at least I hope so)
My voice isn't that deep as I think it can be someday yet.

Sorry about the changing voice volume sometimes, I tried to take it up to the same level as good as I could.
I also should try out different mics, a short recording with the headset strangely sounded a little bit better.

I think it's really hard to keep the same level on the whole song, some parts just "fit" better than others (I like the "blasphemous torture"-part a lot).

And if you can't hear it, turn the volume up. I'm NOT fucking whispering, if it seems so its because of the mic.

Please, tell me what you think of it!

Thx

Dark_coldness.... I can see you are not whispering as you said (for whatever reason) but the recording is flat out BAD. It's mostly air distortion and a little of your voice. You seriously need to re-record because what you uploaded is nothing more than fucked. And overall I still heard you losing breath and straining. I am not being an ass, I just say it as I heard it.

It's been a long time since I actually dug into this thread... Still... That was just horrible. I couldn't hear anything most the time.

@Delta:

Okay, I know what you mean & respect that.
Yes, the air distortion IS a big problem and it was really annoying me. I just could not find any balance on the mic distance, either it was too far away and you couldn't hear anything or, to get a good volume, too near. Results = massive fucking distortion. Tried everything...
This mic sucks a lot on that part. Need to get another, better one badly.

Belonging to losing breath & straining:
Truly, unfortunately I don't have a lot of breath to hold the vox longer. Should that improve "automatically" with training (growls) a lot or is there anything else you could recommend to get more of it, like for example breathing exercise or something that way?
I guess straining would decrease if I would have more breath, because I kinda have to put more "energy into it" when I only got so little time, that's how I see it.

I will re-record as soon as i'm able to, hopefully with better, clearer sounding results.

Thanks for listening, btw.

when growling right it feels pretty easy to do it, no need to put "energy to it", when you are able to let the air flow out of your mouth it will sound energetic

as I explained before to our German fried:

"try not to use too much air, make good use of the air you've taken in, if you haven't used all of it for a verse, breath the air out before you get a new dose (don't get a new dose on top of the air that was already in your lungs), breathing is really key for the Stamina"

so just breath as often as you can, as naturally as you can and don't use too much air for one growl

the less you force it ("put energy into it") the better it will sound, and yes it should improve with time of course