Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

You guys getting tired of seeing my shit yet?

Not sure my style suits it, so I changed a bit for this one. Not perfect but I like the song so it had to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I actually prefer your voice over the dude in Amon Amarth, and I really like Amon Amarth

I just think you should try some less growling, try some normal screaming and some high pitched to vary more

You are definitely getting better and better, too bad I can't be 100% sure because of the background voice

and no, the more posts the better

Hedon's Bastard Son of God wasn't that bad actually, he's doing the "barking" technique" and that's why he has a hard time holding one growl for longer periods, just read what me and others advised and you'll get there (not trying to sound wise here, I just believe my advises are correct)

I tried doing the new Ascension take and I think I hurt my throat a bit-it's sore and it's impossible for me to go deep enough. I think it may be because I more or less went from 0 to 100 suddenly, so I'm going to wait a few days and hope it gets better on its own. After that, does anyone have tips on how to prevent this happening again?

once it's fucked just wait, drink hot stuff like natural tea and shit every now and then because it's generally good for you, but not too hot, and while singing drink water like Taco said, and fuck alcohol, it's all bullshit unless you want to sing like Tom Waits.

Having a drink and a smoke can help, but not too much of it, drink loads after the show, not before

If it hurts you did something wrong that's for sure, learn when does it hurt, and change the way you do that singing part so it doesn't hurt

dude u gotta tell me how to stop barking then i dunno how to growl in any other way ;(
u think i should reduce volume and that way ill save air? i cant really manage to do it though, if i reduce volume i just sound a bit shittier + air goes anyway

once it's fucked just wait, drink hot stuff like natural tea and shit every now and then because it's generally good for you, but not too hot, and while singing drink water like Taco said, and fuck alcohol, it's all bullshit unless you want to sing like Tom Waits.

Having a drink and a smoke can help, but not too much of it, drink loads after the show, not before

If it hurts you did something wrong that's for sure, learn when does it hurt, and change the way you do that singing part so it doesn't hurt

Yeah I've been drinking lots of tea now. And with fuck alcohol, do you mean only when I'm about to growl? Because it being summer vacation my alcohol consume has risen accordingly:D
When I'm better I'll try to see when it hurts but I don't remember ever thinking "ok that hurt like a motherfucker" or something llike that, I only have a bit of an ache if I growl for 5-10 minutes without a break and that stops after I've had enough water. I think it really might be that I didn't start slowly at all, I sort of went from no or little strain to growling for hours(trying to develop the right sound and so on)

I think I actually prefer your voice over the dude in Amon Amarth, and I really like Amon Amarth

I just think you should try some less growling, try some normal screaming and some high pitched to vary more

You are definitely getting better and better, too bad I can't be 100% sure because of the background voice

I don't think I'm even close. I can do normal ones (even though I don't like too) but high pitched ones I have no clue how to do. I have it stuck in my mind that perhaps I just simply am not able too lol. They say you're supposed to push air out harder to get your pitch higher but that's BS because I cannot push any harder without actually using/hurting my throat pretty bad

I wonder why the most of you are so afraid of hurting your voice or throat.
For me some pain belongs in a good growl or scream. Most of the old extreme metal vocalists which had really unique voices hurt their throates. It's emotions.
Mabye the "careful" growl is the reason so many new growlers sound the same..

Hmm you are right about the uniqueness, but I prefer modern vocalists like Peter and Akerfeldt over old school stuff, and they do everything right, and still sound unique

If you do everything right it will last, if not it will last for a few years

And yes it has to hurt now and then after growling especially after longer breaks and beginner cases, and if the hurt gets weaker and weaker it means the throat is getting stronger and stronger, but there are different kinds of ache, by what sir schwanzelot said seams to me it's not from bad technique but only the throat/neck muscles getting used to it.

As far for drinking a lot of alcohol in my case only fucks me up, I try to avoid it before I know I'm going to sing.

Hedon the "barking" technique is quite loud, the point is you gotta learn how to make the same sound with less air, not necessarily by reducing the volume, but heh, everybody is different, so the same advices can't work for everyone, maybe your lung capacity is small I dunno.. what is always certain is that time and training at least every second day (sometimes taking a break of one day is good for me, as in everything, not only singing) will make you much better, finding out by yourself is key, don't take all advices you read/hear too seriously, just try different things.

EmeticGore, what I meant was you have a darker growl and it fits just nice, the Amon dude varies more and etc, but I really liked hearing a darker evil growl on that song, why don't you post something from the Bloodbath instrumentals?

And thanks guys for the creamy comments haha

Would you consider my growls a barking tecnique scav? Mine are quite loud most of the time.

BTW I'm making a video or two right now.

Pretty good man, but I really wanna point out that you should buy a good mic and rip it up on there one day :p digital cameras arent exactly the greatest. I wanna hear some of the headroom too!

Unfortunetly no. You need one of the bad boys that go for around 90$. Only problem is you also need to buy something for them to plug into. Like a toneport for example.

The Behringer XM8500 mic is only about $20-30 and it comes extremely close to a shure sm58 for sound. I recommend that if anyone is on a budget for a mic.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-XM8500-Microphone?sku=270490&src=3SOSWXXA

The plugs you need to plug into your laptop is an adapter that goes from XLR to 1/8". That jack will fit into the mic port on your laptop. Even something like this would do well (less weight on the plug).
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=58062

Keep in mind however that isn't the best way to record with a mic, but it's the cheapest and works well enough for the average listener

Would you consider my growls a barking tecnique scav? Mine are quite loud most of the time.

BTW I'm making a video or two right now.

Nope, you and EmeticGore don't use the "barking" technique. Maybe something in the middle at times, I can't be 100% sure because of the recordings, but even if you do, you two have reached a high level of performance.

As far for the mic and plugging it into the PC, me and you have the same mic hehe and it's a good mic, how much have you payed for it? Exactly a year ago I payed for it 170 Euros when it cost something like 250 Euros, that was a special price I got in Greece. I think the price nowadays goes around 150 Euros.

But to make it work I don't think only the XLR to 1/8 TRS adapter will work, you need a pre-amp too, I have a Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200, got it for 50 euros a year ago. Also a stand and a pop-blocker (it's essential imo).

If you can, spend around 500 euros on a sound card :p

And plus 300 to 600 on a sound processor: either DigiDesign or SSL (Solid State Logic) where you won't need the pre-amp for the mic, you just plug it into the processor (witch can be external or internal, better external).

Bahah thread's post number 777. Godly :rofl:

I dont know how much a Euro is, but my brother and I got the mic off of ebay for 100 US dollars, we split it so I payed 50, he payed 50. I dont know if I am going to spend money on all that stuff unless I find other uses for it besides the forum lol.