Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Thanks for the input, I too thought I sound much better on camera. I have yet to have good luck recording with that damn mic. I think my bro(mystery vocalist) and I are going to buy a condenser mic or something, its been talked about anyway. I thought the pronunciation was decent, thats just me though. Everybody else who's not vocal obsessed like we are thought they sounded good lol. I also agree on the deepest does not equal best thing, I can get deeper than I do in the song, I go relatively deep at the very end, mic didnt pic it up well tho. I pronounce much better at a mid-deep growl. I will slap fat greg around for you lol, the band really needs to be with him when he mixes, he sucks.

And we did have a couple songs of my brother singing before, but we deleted all our songs except the short intro-type song and uploaded Breeding the Beast, so as to show off "better" recordings. It does sound better than the shit we had before, but still far from great.

By the end of the week I should have my growls in an original song. Finally found some people serious about recording a bit.

I thought about saying the same type of thing Delta said, but I usually come off as a dick when I try to explain things like that. So most of the time I don't even attempt it lol.

Hello world!
I finally plucked up my courage to share some of my growling stuff and to gather opinions/tips/tricks from you guys. I'll start with some silly stuff that I recorded in my living room to get some homerecording and guitar play experience. The first two songs (plus a stupid video of the v1 version) are covers of the AVGN theme song, the third one is just silly random riffing and singing about beer in luxembourgish :heh:

Flame on! :zombie:

That sounded great Bordi!

And I am commencing mic shopping... now!
Any suggestions for cond. mics? I dont really want to spend more than 100 US dollars, atm I have to assume that basically any cond. mic will sound better than the beta58A for recording?

Anybody have any experience with the MXL V63M condenser mic? Its on musiciansfriend for like 70 bucks, and it has a lot of great reviews. I think I may have found the winner.

I don't have any experience with that mic, but the MXL990 is a cheap condenser that is pretty well liked. I played with it a bit at my friends place and it did a better job than some of the more pricey mics. It's way under priced since it generally records on par with most $200 condensers... MXL is known for good value/price ratio in overall though.

Remember you are going to need phantom power for a condenser though, so you need a pre-amp or a mic with the phantom power built in. That's why I mentioned the MXL990, since you need to divide the cash up between both the pre-amp and the mic. MXL 990 being less expensive so the extra cash can go towards the phantom power source.

atm I have to assume that basically any cond. mic will sound better than the beta58A for recording?

I also thought it was worth mentioning that yeah a condenser is usually better for recording, it's not going to blow your mind or anything. The sm58 is capable of doing a decent job as well, so your voice isn't going to sound totally different. The condenser will pick up more and give you a cleaner less compressed sound. Some people even sound/record better with a dynamic mic, mostly because the dynamic mic gives you something to hold onto.

Is the phantom power the same thing as a preamp? (sry I'm just beginning to probe into all the crap you need for recording.)
edit*
Found this, would this be all I need?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-TubePre-MXL990-Condenser-Microphone?sku=270354

Phantom power (I really hate saying those words together) is just basically an extra 48V to power the mic. Pretty much any pre-amp designed for a vocal mic has it. It's usually just a little switch on the pre-amp.

That combo there would work fine for low budget recording yeah, but honestly I don't know anything about that PreSonus TubePre. Seems to get good enough reviews though.

I think I might get that then, it seems like the easiest thing to use rather than buying multiple things I know nothing about and spending more money.
Also, I dont think we'll be doing a whole lot bandwise for a time, football season is starting for the drummer so that kinda gets in the way. Gives me more time to improve and buy the mic though.

Cry My Name, was harder than I thought.

Cry My Name Voice Work - Not sure why does it automatically download instead of sending you into an online player..

Thanks Delta.

Yo Taco Bell, any news on the mic? Aw shit now I'm hungry for some Mexican food.

Hey scavneck could you send me that cry my name karaoke version? would be very appreciated.
To your voicework, there isn't much to say really. It's excellent, if you're not in a band, join one you fucker! :D

Nice job on Cry My Name scav. Yea I ordered the mic on Friday so hopefully it will be here in the near future. We recorded drums on Friday for another song, so when the mic comes we will prolly finish that one. At some point we will re-record Breeding the Beast as well.
Also, on the growling note, I was singing along to Nile today, trying to get that kind of echoey sound that Dallas gets. Getting close I think. And I've been trying to get a Ihsahn-ish scream down, I love how his screams are high pitched and smooth yet rough at the same time.

Cry My Name, was harder than I thought.

Cry My Name Voice Work - Not sure why does it automatically download instead of sending you into an online player..

Thanks Delta.

No problem. Like I said, the "instrumental" version is not the greatest but the vocals are removed for the most part.

Not too bad on the cover, though I noticed quite a bit of bad timing. Not your best but not too bad either.

Yeah you're right, around 1:20 it's terrible. I'll make a new one and work better on the timing.

That's it, I've run out of new instrumentals to record hah.