Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Am I the only one that finds black metal kinds of vocals easier to do than death metal growls/grunts?

I don't think so hehe.

About your growl, it should be louder, and seams you are using your throat too much.

You're probably recent at this so you might be going the right direction here.

I don't think so hehe.

About your growl, it should be louder, and seams you are using your throat too much.

You're probably recent at this so you might be going the right direction here.

That's an effect by the mic. IRL it's much louder than my talking voice.

Well to give you an idea, I practice with roughly 375 watts of power cranked over my voice. I use diaphram and chest, no throat. People are still able to hear me over the music I play through it.

George fischer isn't exactly the best vocalist, but he had one thing right, and that is to belt it out and use as much power as you possibly can.

Weirdly the louder I am in real life, the less my mic picks up. The quieter I am, the more. I just need a new mic I guess...

And the more you pay the more music you get hehe. 100/150 euros is enough for a condenser mic I think, which is better than dynamic mics.

We talked about mics a few pages back, some people found good stuff for less money, search for it.

Yeah, the other hardware and talent for manipulating audio can compensate a bad mic, it's just basically harder to achieve the wanted sound.

Weirdly the louder I am in real life, the less my mic picks up. The quieter I am, the more. I just need a new mic I guess...
the same for me.
The best way to obtain the best sound you can get from a shitty mic like mine and yours is to keep your mouth 20 cm far from the mic and growl with tons of power.

Found an older file on my harddrive. My first guitar playing/songwriting/mixing attempt :loco:
It's pretty shitty: the structure & "flow" suck, guitar play is just utterly bad, drum programming is boring, mixing is bad and the vocals are not perfect (especially the higher pitched ones)... Felt a little uncomfortable/inhibited in my living room with all the neighbouring appartments around :bah:

Yet it was a fun experience to record something by myself without any influence from other people and many important lessons have been learned :zombie:

Upped it to youtube for easier listening etc etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man, those growls are pretty sweet. The higher pitched ones aren't bad, not irritating at least.

Post something new man. And don't be over humble, geeez.

Bördi;7587845 said:
Found an older file on my harddrive. My first guitar playing/songwriting/mixing attempt :loco:
It's pretty shitty: the structure & "flow" suck, guitar play is just utterly bad, drum programming is boring, mixing is bad and the vocals are not perfect (especially the higher pitched ones)... Felt a little uncomfortable/inhibited in my living room with all the neighbouring appartments around :bah:

Yet it was a fun experience to record something by myself without any influence from other people and many important lessons have been learned :zombie:

Upped it to youtube for easier listening etc etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwMk2qFGkIk
Hey,I like your style!
Nice growls,really!

the song is kinda strange,the guitar tune remembers the black metal songs

Thanks!

And yes, you are right about the song being "strange". I tried to put some weird ideas to paper and failed miserably because I am a bloody beginner on the guitar, which leads to the rather simple "black metal-ish" sound.

All the really talented songwriters out there have my outmost respect, it is so damn difficult to put a solid/coherent song together, even with simple power chords

I found yet another old soundfile on my disk! My very first home recording, one or two days after I got my guitar in early 2008. This is no real song, just some random riffs and drum fills blindly put together (Don't try to understand the lyrics, it's a silly song about beer in my native language: luxembourgish :> )

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that post just listed my three favourite death metal vocalists, so we're almost in complete agreement :p I don't find the enunciation of Mikael and Peter to be much better than George's to be honest- there's a similar level of hit and miss so far as I can tell. Moreover, enunciation is fairly important to me but not hugely important- bands like Credence Clearwater revival are a great example of awesome music where I have no fucking idea what the singer is saying.

What makes George an awesome vocalist is his sense of rhythm- both vocal and instrumental- and how the two interact. His emphasis of words and phrases shows a really strong understanding of the music beneath it that the majority of brutal death vocalists really lack. After all, the growl is nothing but an emotive rhythmic device. It's clearly not melodic, so what it adds to the music is a polyrhythm over the instruments and a human/emotive method of distinguishing parts of the song from one another.

I think George is one of the best in the business at recognising this and using his voice to add a layer of complexity and brutality to the music. As for his tone, it is raw power but it is also carefully controlled. Comparing him to Chris Barnes in particular is pretty crude I think, Barnes has an incredibly weak and undisciplined growl- the complete opposite of Fisher.

Yeah I suppose, but he really does need a better band to be in though if he is not going to change his style for CC. He was way better on the last "Paths of Possession" release, but the music was way too plain and melodic for him.