Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Thanks!

And I'm not sure what I damaged, but I don't think it was the vocal chords, I could talk and make high pitched sounds normally. If it was they weren't damaged, just irritated.

I sang today and it was pretty smooth, I got more stam1na. I'm not trying to go lower anymore, I keep it within my range, as it gets better it becomes easier to go lower.

It's basically pointless to try and evolve if you practice in days you haven't rested enough.

But explain a bit more about the stamina problem, you get tired generally and aren't able to come back and continue or just in between verses when your trying not to make the growl sound too short?

You probably know already but it's impossible to sing exactly as in an album version song, sometimes they make a take for each verse.

It's all about breathing mostly, being well rested and not singing too loud for your range.

Stamina is actually my biggest problem, I notice that happens when I loose concentration, if I start using my throat more than I should, and more air than I should, make sure you breath out not just in.

When there's a bit of air left after a growl, if there is time to breath out and then in quickly do it.

It's all about concentration in my case since I lack a bit of stamina, but when it's a song that gives me more time to breath the stamina problem disappears.

Actually that said, in response to damaging your throat until you sound like Mikael, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. Mikael was a smoker so I'm sure that did change his voice at one point, but from what I can tell I don't think Mikael puts a huge amount of strain on his vocal chords on an average day.

I'm a smoker since 2007 and I have different voice too since I started smoking.

Why quit? Just have one after each or 2 meals a day, and when you're drinking, or whenever you feel it gives you more pleasure, I'm a smoker and I don't smoke everyday, when I do it's rarely more than 3 a day, and the only rule I have is not to smoke in my room, and when my girlfriend is around so she won't have to taste my tabacco breath, and why doesn't my windows xp have the word tabacco in it's dictionary? Another way of fighting tabacco? Haha.

Don't see the point in quitting unless you're a professional athlete.

In life everything(almost) is good if it's not exaggerated, enjoy life.

Why quit? Just have one after each or 2 meals a day, and when you're drinking, or whenever you feel it gives you more pleasure, I'm a smoker and I don't smoke everyday, when I do it's rarely more than 3 a day, and the only rule I have is not to smoke in my room, and when my girlfriend is around so she won't have to taste my tabacco breath, and why doesn't my windows xp have the word tabacco in it's dictionary? Another way of fighting tabacco? Haha.

Don't see the point in quitting unless you're a professional athlete.

In life everything(almost) is good if it's not exaggerated, enjoy life.

i have asthma and it's gotten really bad since i started smoking, even it's just a few a day

Even being a casual smoker like yourself greatly increases the risk of lung cancer and other complications, unfortunately :(

As for growling, I really disagree. Smoking really damages your vocal chords, thus diminishing your ability to growl and control the growl tone. More importantly it reduces your lung capacity! Need lots of oxygen to growl well ;)

Well yeah, I'm not saying go forth and smoke, but I'm gonna get the smoke from somewhere else anyway (heard that one before), I'm not gonna stop drinking and smoking occasionally because I really do get pleasure from it, especially when done with more people.

I eat well and play soccer as a recreation so I'm not too worried about my health.

As far for it changing you voice.. yeah it does, in my case I prefer not to smoke near the time I'm going to sing, but it works out for some people, or some kinds of music.. no?

Is it possible Tom Waits has that voice naturally? And those worn out Blues/Jazz/Funk voices?

Well I don't completely condemn smoking. I smoke too, though I wouldn't consider myself addicted and I make sure that it doesn't get that far, don't need any addiction shit. I just highly doubt that smoking will give you a good growl through its trve smokishness stuff

Going in the right direction here, I like the growl, but the high pitches get a bit annoying at times, you tend to exaggerate, if you were singing in Marduk then it would be fine. Don't change the volume level of the growls, try to keep the same level, even though you are screaming for victory doesn't mean it has to be louder, unless you are literally in the battlefield hehe.

You have the same fucked up mp3 version of that album haha.