Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Hey you've gotten much better, put something longer it's too short, and don't be so much louder on the high pitches, move the mic away a bit or something if you can't sing them well at the same level as the growls.

I felt like being evil today, so I recorded something to a track that someone uploaded, I think it was griev0r. Don't bother understanding the lyrics, they're far too deep for a human to perceive. I tried some double tracking too:D
Scavneck, I see what you mean with the volume...have to work on that. It's like that on this track too, sorry :D here you go: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/1/1983889/gemeine musikk.mp3

tjena! I usually post at the sneap forum but this thread looked fun:

slow

fast

I do the vox and it's all original material folks..although, it's no secret that our guitarist has a penchant for Blakkheim ;)

oh yea...these song clips are brickwalled to death!
I know the good people here will see past that abuse tho..

I like the slow one more.

Good quality stuff here, but not my thing really.

I'd like to hear your voice in something that's more Death Metal, I think it would fit just right.

slow

fast

I do the vox and it's all original material folks..although, it's no secret that our guitarist has a penchant for Blakkheim ;)

u own

slow

fast

sounds fuckin great dude, your growls are sick

So... learning how to growl eh?

Well, growling is quite easy when you know how to do it, but your first step would be to get yourself a drink, this could essentially be anything, juice, water, coke, beer, or even better: milk with honey (tea with honey could also work). Drink this when practicing and you won't hurt your throat that much.

Second, you should clear your throat, grunt... this may sound silly, but don't worry, I'll get to the cool stuff right now, when you've cleared your throat and found the technique that gives the best sound: open you mouth...

You've got yourself a growl

Try growling some words, check if your growling works better if you're using a lot of air or only small amounts, and use your natural tone, don't go high or low just yet, you've got to learn how to use your stomach first.

Now, try growling when you tighten your muscles in the tummy, works a lot better right? A lot more compressed and nice. when you've been trying this for a while you'll see that you can hold your growl a lot longer and it sounds better.

Now for the grand finale you should find a band with a vocalist that sounds almost like you do, use the same tones that you can do, I found Dance of December Souls quite nice there, tried some Opeth later, and that's what I use now

One last thing: If it hurts: stop. Your throat will take time to get adjusted to this new form of use, the muscles in your throat is going to hurt like hell from the abuse if you go at it for too long. practice one song a day until you're completely comfortable with growling, and find your own style, find where you sound the best, this is what you should be focusing on, because that's what hurts your throat the least.
I just wanted to say thanks for this, as I've been trying to get my vocals deeper when attempting growling, the tightening my stomach versus just using my diaphragm made a hell of a difference.

But I'm curious, it hasn't hurt. I mean it hurt when I like an idiot used my throat to sing where you vibrate in the very back of your throat and bring your tongue back to do it (or at least thats how I've always done it) that hurt my vocals. But the whole breathing air etc, other then losing my normal voice I've been completely fine, I haven't even coughed/gotten a dry throat (I drink 4 bottles of water a day though)

I've of course only been doing this for 4 days now, and do 3-4 songs each day as I don't have all day to practice. But I think I'm near perfecting well not perfecting but getting the achieved deepness I just need to find the sweet spot that I'm under or over shooting.

Though the fact I do have to talk in a deeper voice then normal to be able to talk with out my voice cracking is normal right? At least for someone who rarely ever talks or sings? (I actually like the new deeper voice...my old one was so annoying) (And no, I'm not 13, I'm 20 :|)

I felt like being evil today, so I recorded something to a track that someone uploaded, I think it was griev0r. Don't bother understanding the lyrics, they're far too deep for a human to perceive. I tried some double tracking too:D
Scavneck, I see what you mean with the volume...have to work on that. It's like that on this track too, sorry :D here you go: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/1/1983889/gemeine musikk.mp3

Ah man I want to hear this, the link is not working for me... Is this the "B Grind" song?

And Ematic, where the hell is your song out of this!? I've been looking forward to hearing it. I pretty much recorded it just for you. :O

Unrest, that is some fucking good shit there man. First song reminds me of something off BMD.

That pretty much is how I sing for my band, but the mix always sucks hardcore. All I used to record myself was my mic and the default sound recorder program on windows xp. I am a bit more controlled than I used to be though.
Also, I didnt have a mic stand so I fabricated a tabletop one that I could bolt my shock mount to. Its nice cause my pop filter can clamp onto the main support.
Picture001.jpg

Thanks scav. I go to community college atm, I've been filling out a application for Michigan State University, prolly gonna major in either chemical or mechanical engineering. After that I wanna go to New Mexico Tech and get a Masters in Mechanical Engineering with a Specialization in Explosives Engineering, I would like to either be a display pyrotechnician or work in the explosives research field. Anyways I learned to build stuff from my dad, hes a very handy guy, and he's always let me use his tools for whatever. He gave me the idea to make some sort of clamp for the shock mount, but I came up with the actual design and built it all myself. It wasnt too hard really, I just measured and cut some aluminum stock and bolted it together on a couple pieces of wood. Took me maybe an hour.

Wowee long post.