Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

I agree entirely about Paths of Possession, pretty dull music. I am a huge CC fan though! Music, vocals and all - so I love what he's doing at the moment.

Out of curiosity, which black metal vocalists do you find the best (assuming you like any at all, of course)?

Ihsahn is the only black metal vocalist I enjoy. I think I've mentioned before that I have Emperor's logo tattoo'd on my shoulder :)

Agree'd, Blakkheim is a great vocalist. Diabolical Masquerade is amazing, now I'd like to hear him do lead vocals in a Death Metal band. That would complete me haha.

How about the really gurgly growls used in some of the brutal death or grindcore bands?

Or even the kind that Dallas Toler-Wade of Nile uses?

I think it's similar to the technique used for that pig squeal/bree stuff.

I think I've read that it uses sort of a closed throat, unlike normal growls, but that's all I know.

I need help getting a gurgly sound!

Oh, and I'm talking about exhales. I can do it using inhales, but I know that a lot of people get the same type of sound using exhales.

How about the really gurgly growls used in some of the brutal death or grindcore bands?

Or even the kind that Dallas Toler-Wade of Nile uses?

I think it's similar to the technique used for that pig squeal/bree stuff.

I think I've read that it uses sort of a closed throat, unlike normal growls, but that's all I know.

I need help getting a gurgly sound!

Oh, and I'm talking about exhales. I can do it using inhales, but I know that a lot of people get the same type of sound using exhales.

it's nothing like that pig squeal shit. i can do both dallas and gurgles and the main difference is the combination of pressure and deepness. you also have to push from a different area

Hey man.

Could you be a little more specific?

I mean, is it more pressure? Less?

By deepness, do you mean lower pitch?

What "different area" do you mean?

I hate to ask too many questions, but I've been trying to learn how to do this for almost two years and am pretty desperate for info at this point.

I mean, is it more pressure? Less?
it's pressure in a different area but for both, you put push with your gut
By deepness, do you mean lower pitch?
yes, gurgles consist of the lowest most broken up growls
What "different area" do you mean?

I hate to ask too many questions, but I've been trying to learn how to do this for almost two years and am pretty desperate for info at this point.
i don't mind the questions. dallas has more pressure on his diaphram but he does tighten his throat. for gurgles, you put more pressure on the bottom-middle of your throat with slight pressure on the diaphram. also, i turn and cock my neck while doing vocals... some have to, some don't. and don't forget to push with your stomach or it will sound dryer and empty

Holy crap, this seems to be helping!

It'll take some practice, but I'm already doing better than before after just a few minutes trying.

Thanks for giving me some good, workable information!

anytime dude. i've been using that technique for 6 months now and it only took me about 2-3 months to master it. however i'd attempted doing vocals for about a year before that then i figured that technique out and it helped everything.

Anybody have some good practices to achieve more rasp in their vocals? Getting a decent growl isn't the hard part, but getting that tight/smooth flem sounding action (prime example=Akerfeldt) is what gets to me. It's almost like you NEED to wear out your throat quite a bit to get this. Is that the magic here? simply causing enough damage to get the sound you want? :lol:

Anybody have some good practices to achieve more rasp in their vocals? Getting a decent growl isn't the hard part, but getting that tight/smooth flem sounding action (prime example=Akerfeldt) is what gets to me. It's almost like you NEED to wear out your throat quite a bit to get this. Is that the magic here? simply causing enough damage to get the sound you want? :lol:

Yesterday when I started practicing I noticed I irritated my throat a bit from the previous practice, it kinda sounded bad like when Mike got the flu and some notes were fucked and seamed like he ripped his throat or the throat was strained and not letting the air go by smoothly, but I kept on going by using the same technique witch has never actually damaged my throat or anything, and it started getting better and smoother.

So yeah I got the feeling that "damaging" the throat is good, it's like wearing out like you said, or loosing up parts in my throat that feel like some kind of barriers for the air.

I didn't have time to practice today so I can't be sure.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow..

I guess it would make sense hey? I've got a slight case of tonsilitus (or however it is spelled) and I've been growling and actually improving :p at first I just did it to mask pain with more pain haha. But so far it seems like I'm actually getting better which kinda gave me that clue.

Tonsillitis, just checked what it is, it's amigdalite in Portuguese.

No shit, I used to have problems too man, had to clean my tonsils with those sticks poured in hydrogen peroxide (had to translate that one too).

I even bled like a mother fucker and had to go to a hospital so they'd give me antibiotics haha.

I actually kinda liked it, spitting caked blood mwahaha :X

Of course if I knew it was something more serious I'd probably faint haha.

But I overcame those problems I think, but they used to fuck up my singing pretty much, but when I learned the right technique I stopped irritating them.

New recording:

The Abyss Voice Work

It's a shame it's dubbed but oh well, I'd say 90 to 95% is me. But I can't fucken go as HIGH as Peter damn it, I'm sure he can scream like a girl if he wants to haha, damn it I just can't reach it. You'll hear the last bit of the scream is him going high as PHUCK.

Yesterday when I started practicing I noticed I irritated my throat a bit from the previous practice, it kinda sounded bad like when Mike got the flu and some notes were fucked and seamed like he ripped his throat or the throat was strained and not letting the air go by smoothly, but I kept on going by using the same technique witch has never actually damaged my throat or anything, and it started getting better and smoother.

So yeah I got the feeling that "damaging" the throat is good, it's like wearing out like you said, or loosing up parts in my throat that feel like some kind of barriers for the air.

I didn't have time to practice today so I can't be sure.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow..

Sort of like how you build muscle. You tear your muscles so they grow back stronger.

Tonsillitis, just checked what it is, it's amigdalite in Portuguese.

No shit, I used to have problems too man, had to clean my tonsils with those sticks poured in hydrogen peroxide (had to translate that one too).

I even bled like a mother fucker and had to go to a hospital so they'd give me antibiotics haha.

I actually kinda liked it, spitting caked blood mwahaha :X

Of course if I knew it was something more serious I'd probably faint haha.

But I overcame those problems I think, but they used to fuck up my singing pretty much, but when I learned the right technique I stopped irritating them.

New recording:

The Abyss Voice Work

It's a shame it's dubbed but oh well, I'd say 90 to 95% is me. But I can't fucken go as HIGH as Peter damn it, I'm sure he can scream like a girl if he wants to haha, damn it I just can't reach it. You'll hear the last bit of the scream is him going high as PHUCK.

Oh dude haha, mine hasn't EVER gotten that bad. I get infections alot for some reason but the extreme usually just clogs my throat (so I can only breathe through my nose) but never any blood or anything like that.

Very very nice cover man, The Abyss is one of my favorite Hypocrisy songs :) I fucking love the smoothness of your voice every time.

Thanks a lot man. I wish I could hear my melodic part without it being dubbed in that part, I changed the third "Feel alone again" in the choruses a bit so I could hear my voice more.

I infected my throat and abused it by singing, and then comes the allergies.. results in Bloodbath haha.

It was funny and sad how at the hospital they just left this poor old woman that was lying in a bed at one of the electric doors, so it just slammed into her bed and they didn't give a shit and went on so how's your day been? And started pushing her around then corridors again.

I guess it would make sense hey? I've got a slight case of tonsilitus (or however it is spelled) and I've been growling and actually improving :p at first I just did it to mask pain with more pain haha. But so far it seems like I'm actually getting better which kinda gave me that clue.

hahaha. I had tonsilitus 3 weeks ago and it was the only weekend my house had no people in it so I growled anyways as well. After the first little bit you stop feeling the burn:p. I found I sounded almost exactly like Glen Benton when I tried to growl in that condition though, which is considerably less dynamic sounding than my usual growl. My range was pretty fucked up so I couldn't pull off any other growl changes really in mid-sentence or anything. Killer low growl, but having an inability to use other techniques sucked:puke:

Actually that said, in response to damaging your throat until you sound like Mikael, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. Mikael was a smoker so I'm sure that did change his voice at one point, but from what I can tell I don't think Mikael puts a huge amount of strain on his vocal chords on an average day.

Scavneck, that was a good cover of the Abyss. I did a cover of that one too, I love that song. Your vocals do get a little mixed in with Peter's but it you did a good job for sure.