Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Cover of Opeth - When! Tried this a while ago but it turned out shit, tried it now and it turned out great! I'm still amazed over how close-sounding to Åkerfeldt it came out (Not the cleans, they're work in progress, lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, i have been growling for 2 months and i just wanna have some feedback on how i sound.

Sorry about putting it up on 2share, but if someone have the energy to download it would be awesome.

http://www.2shared.com/audio/rq5R0XnD/Track_2_Recording_6.html PASSWORD TO FILE IS: santaclaus

Its a very very short clip on me singing along to an aeon song in my headphones.
Its recorded on a headset microphone so it may sound like im whispering a little bit. But i can assure you that i am not.

So are im a total failure to become a vocalist someday or do i got a chance?
Tips and stuff like that are more than welcome.

Age on me? 19.

Hmmm...apparently I lost my shuresm58's during the move. sigh, so much for recording these rawr rawrs. also, uploading to 2shared requires far more than an apology.

Found my recording shit. Got hours of untangling, sorting, praying and resetting up my office to go. Hooray for hastey packing.

IMAG0549.jpg

Does anyone have a sure way to teach someone how to fry? I've watched youtube videos, asked advice from people but nothing quite does it.. although some come close.

As of right now I've mastered the 'barking technique' and really want to broaden my sound, and I'm sure the fry is where I must go. Eventually I want to try and mix the fry and barking technique together to form satan buttsex, I know how to go about it BUT must learn the fry technique first.

I hate it when someone calls it fry. It sounds like "maaan-i-ve-learned-to-growl-with-the-help-of-some-metalcore-bitch".
yees every true man should learn it by eating Amanita (thank u wikipedia) and defeat bears in wrestling and then sing acapella songs with them at the campfire :kickass:

there are 2 which i know about and can perform: "bark" and teh fry techniques.
although they are quiet alike the bark feels more thras/old dm to me, but I can't do tha bark without a soar throat the next morning :bah:

Bark is usually inferior to frying in my opinion, but people who can do something in the middle are the best growlers out there.

And fakk off David, it's called frying as far as I know :rofl:

I get what fry is but the rest makes no sense to me, people are complicating it too much. My vocal style is actually a combination of yelling and kind of a gurgly gutteral fry thing, makes my growl sound meaty as fuck. Bark makes absolutely no sense at all to me. When you perform a "bark" do the neighborhood dogs start barking and howling? Is bark when you just let out all kinds of power in bursts or something? If so I guess I'm a "frying barker".

Maybe I'll get the energy to record something real quick for the new forumers to hear. This thread died so long ago I forgot that originally this was the thread that I first posted in and met most of the older Bloodbath forum folks, back when I was still unsure of how good I was. This place was an awesome place to test yourself thanks to good feedback.

Hey gias I hav dis questun about mah growls, I herd U should do dis techneek called vocal hamburger and fries, doo I need to do tha gurz while the fry is in mah throat cause the fries keep shooting out o mah nose lulz. I alzo herd of dis style calld vocal beans, where you bend yer head back and inhale reel hard, and then this otter gai said to try someting calld "hairbrushing" to maak yurself brootal. Aim confuse! Nau yoo ppl tell me to "bark" liek a dawg? Dood, deaf methulz is HARD! Stop making up all dees names!