Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

thanks a lot i'll try these out when i'm at home later. i've also been randomly doing "shadow of the reaper" by Six Feet Under, it is fairly easy.

Like LadyValerie wrote a while back; the breathing is important and the reason some of you have headrushes when you growl is probably the lack of oxygen-flow. I have been doing metal vocals for seven years and have had quite a few talks with other vocalists as well and it is a lot of different ways of singing both black screams and growls.

When I do the growls, it's about finding the low resonance in addition to a grainy texture. To be honest; the way Mr. Christian MetalMan sings is not the deepest he can go, simply because he does Not use his throat properly to create volume and resonance, he uses his mouth only. So for growls; it's stomach for resonance (key) and voice for texture.

The guys who truly know the art of growling are those Throat-singer-guys. They have the technique perfected and control the oxygen flow and the texture.

Go out there and jam and scream. It's the only way to control your voice.

And your voice will grow weary, of course, and it will burn. It is a MUSCLE and you should look after it in the same way; warm it up before you really yell (usually for controlled growls it's not that bad, but for black and screams, DO warm up), cool it down afterwards, drink water. -NEVER drink wine an evening after you've had a gig (beer is accepted, but only if you really must)... If you don't look after your voice you'll end up sounding like Kronos from Venom, -no joke.

and does ANYONE have ANY clue on what goes on with Bloodbath these days? new vocalist? I put out a demofile for them ages ago, bit haven't heard anything since....

mylovedenied said:
Vital Remains' "Dechristianize" Chorus is pretty easy. Good for getting your endurance up as well.

Pretty much all of that album is easy (only on vocals tho lol) I hated the monotony of the vocals Glen Benton did

it all comes from the lungs ,woosh the air while trying to tight ur troath u`, ure gonna get a sore throath for sure ,just keep it up for the next five years and youll end up growlin lke me thats for sure, it busts my nuts the fact that i live down there in a place called mexico even though i look like some sort of swedish guy hehe it sucks

Flal said:
Hey man,

The music is ok but your deeps are fucking sick!!! Do you do the silent growl or is it loud? It sounds great! Can you do any highs? Keep it up man :headbang:

Silent growl? hell no. I bring the forces of darkness with me when I growl :headbang:

I am not so good at the highs though, but I can manage it without it sounding too bad.

Sorry for taking so long responding. I haven't been in this forum since I posted that :D

hmm i just started too but i dunno its not really growling is it? your accent comes through a lot. but mind you i'm new to growling so i could be talking utter shit.

beerfuelledbassplayer said:
hmm i just started too but i dunno its not really growling is it? your accent comes through a lot. but mind you i'm new to growling so i could be talking utter shit.
Yeah no doubt, but still good for being only the second day.

Adanedhel said:
Hi man! i'am Adanedhel from Italy, i just start try to do growls by two day ago, i hope i'am in the just way...
what do you think of this?

First day:
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=prova_growl_2.mp3

Second day (today):
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=prova_growl_3.mp3 <- lol

tnx

Try deepening your vocals a little, what you have is more of a black metal sound. Bring it from your gut and force it out. THe best is to jam with a band