Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

you have an awesome growl, i bet you could take it even further.. you also have a bad habbit of blowing on the mic all the time, thus creating sound pressure overload on the microphone membrane and as a result: sound engineer brain meltdown D:!

keep it up though :)

Hello all. I've checked in on the forums randomly but have just now mustered the anti-lazy to actually register. So here is my question for this thread. What kind of Microphone do you guys prefer for a good brutal death metal sound. Seems like a lot of people are still sticking to Shure SM-58 but I personally enjoy Sennheiser's mic line up. I use a Sennheiser e835 myself. Any opinions on the best mic for good growls?

Actually after reading the above post this is probably a good time to mention the mic factor.

It all depends on what you do. In studio SM-58 isn't good enough IMO. You need a nice condenser mic to get the right sound when recording vocals. Studio Projects B1 is a really awesome condenser mic at a great price.

For live shows I think the SM-58 does a great job. It's robust enough and has a good enough sound quality.

i second that! i always do the vocals incl. dubbing with a nice large condenser mic (the B1, is an awesome choice, i use the MT87s myself), additionally if i want to spice things up a bit, i dub with various other mics in order to fill out the spectrum.

What the hell? Clearly an intelligent thought out response to the thread....

Anywho... Yeah condensers are the way to go for recording but I was more asking about dynamic mics for live shows and jamming, where sound quality is not as forgiving as a studio

I've just started at growling last monday and i cant seem to get really low like Amon Amarth for example.

Any advice on how to get lower?

I was just wondering after reading allot of tips from this thread, and that is how "loud" does it sound when you growl properly without a mic? I crank up the volume quite high, not when im like singing something like black sabbath snowblind.. How high does it really get? Like in speaking-volume? or does it actually get quite high?

Yeah I agree, you need to learn to push it out. Volume is important to a good growl. Especially if you want to hear some bass in it. It's all about technique and practice. I started with black metal style vocals myself and learned to push myself deeper that way. But if it hurts stop, and try another way or you'll damage your throat.