Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Average I'd say is 6 seconds, I can hold my breath usually for 2 minutes so lung capacity isn't an issue. I just put too much power into it I guess

I have the same problem. 6-7 sec is about my limit much of hte time. Even if I try to do it quieter I cant go much longer anyway, and it sounds less powerful.

Average I'd say is 6 seconds, I can hold my breath usually for 2 minutes so lung capacity isn't an issue. I just put too much power into it I guess
I guess that it's not in the power the problem. It's more about the technique. If you want to keep using the (nice) kind of growling that you have, you'll have to accept this limit. Or you can do exercises to get a bit further.
6 seconds is enough,by the way.
I have the same problem. 6-7 sec is about my limit much of hte time. Even if I try to do it quieter I cant go much longer anyway, and it sounds less powerful.
Yes,the same for me. My average is 6 seconds. I can't go further even if i put less power in it.

Not if you want to sing some of Mike's old Katatonia tunes lol.
Haha,yes,I know,but the technique is different,there. Is more a scream then a growl,expecially when he holds them.By the way,he has one of the best screams I've ever heard.

With a scream everyone can go further than his growling,if we're talking about endurance.
I think that mike can hold a low-middle growl for 8 seconds. When he screams he easilly gets over the 15 secs =)

i have been looking over this and im wondering if melodic death metal vocals would use a method that is significantly different from the more brutal death metal. what i mean is say COB useing the same basic method as say behemoth to get their sound

I have a question about black metal vocals.

The way I've always done them is pretty much just like the basic growling technique, only way higher. I can get the common, typical kind of black metal sound this way, but I don't know how to get that really dry, sort of froggish sound that people like Nattefrost and Abbath use.

I read on another site that to do this, instead of just using a very high version of the growling technique, you can get sound by basically just closing your throat and pushing air through, but without involving your actual voice.

My question is, does anyone use a technique like this, or have you at least heard of it?

If not, does anyone have tips on how to get the kind of sound that I'm talking about?

Abbath croaks are really easy. I guess just take your normal black metal screams to a lower level. I usually make a frowny face when I do them, seems to help with shaping the sound. And dont try doing them loud, I think it would be bad if you try projecting this type of vocal to a loud volume because it seems to be harder on the throat than say, growling.

Yup. Water all the way, and you can't use saliva to project your sound. It's also completely unreliable if you want to sound the same from one day to the next:p