Any hip Hop fans?

I think it's a shit genre because I don't like it, it's dull and does not appeal to me, and disliking it does not make me small minded, and if I think it's shit, I'm clearly talking about the rule, not the exception. It's the same thing if I called you small minded for finding bossa nova shitty, which would be a pretty retarded argument, because disliking one particular genre does not prevent you from enjoying other genres.

Also, about the "metalhead" thing you said, you should speak for yourself, because I'm not a metalhead and will never be, I listen to metal music that sounds good to these years and that's it. And yeah, Massive Attack isn't hip hop obviously, they just have elements of that style in their sound, like I said in the other post.

i don't like a lot of rap, and i don't know a ton about it, but i'm just simply saying its opinion i suppose. if you dont like it you dont like it, but that doesnt make it shit, but maybe im splitting hairs

but im not gonna defend something i dont care much about :lol:

also, k'naan is awesome :D, whoever posted it

Im no big fan of hip-hop in general but how can you not like this? Get the whole album "Abandoned Language" by Dälek, it's fantastic. I saw that someone mentioned Kung Henry he used to be a assistant to a kid in my school when I was a kid, cool guy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrKi8mPR494&feature=related[/ame]

All Hip-Hop / Rap is depressing because it's garbage music that takes almost no talent to create...and yet somehow people still will listen to it.

What a dumb thing to say... Honestly there are alot of idiotic comments in this topic. Like this one:

Yes!!!!

It's the difference, to me, between ENTERTAINMENT and MUSIC. Rap is pure, 100% music-less entertainment. A catchy, cheap, processed electronic beat used to appeal to the most primitive, thoughtless mental realm of the mind.

First of rap is the vocal style, you can rap to hip-hop but you can also rap to metal. It's like saying that growl is a genre of music.

Secondly let's compare two songs!

First a hip-hop song with rap that acording to you is 100% entertainment, catchy, cheap and thoughtless.

And then a Katatonia song:

I honestly have to say that the Katatonia song is way more simple and catchy and thougthless... But hang on?! The first song is hip-hop so how can this be?! Maybe because you are dead wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
^:lol:

i liked your argument

looking through my itunes........i have a bunch of commercial stuff on here, just cause it's catchy as hell. maybe not the best example but i actually really liked a few K-os albums :D

justice are a good band too, but they are more electronic (although i find the genres, although not extremely close, can still be relatable)

that'd be impossible, considering sold heart doesnt say anything about beating up bitches and hoes and buying diamonds like blao like blao blao *gun sounds*, so therefore sold heart sucks.

and yes, 98% of hip-hop is shit. leave it back in the 90's where it belongs.

thanks!
he didn't say anything about lyrics, only catchy electronic beats, which makes me think of sold heart/unfurl etc.
Oh, you cant in your wildest fantasys claim that deftones play hiphop.

Back to School, enough said

tbh i dont mind gangsta hip hop(Grown up a good chunk of my life in cleveland ohio, rough place, now in atlanta georgia) because the stuff you hear in gangsta rap, I could actually relate to a certain extent. I can't stand hip hop that blasphemy against women though or is about self gloating. Personally get tired when people bash hip hop, I can understand if all they listen to is that mainstream bull shit (which alot of people that take hip hop seriously loathe most of) While hip hop doesn't take as much musical or vocal skill as metal does, the lyrics of hip hop is far better. (and yes i do listen to a good bit of metal, suffocation, swallow the sun, rapture, katatonia (all albums), old cryptopsy just to name a few. But you know, thats the thing about hip hop, if you can't relate to the lyrics, you aren't going to like it.

Also forget to drop atmosphere in the opening post.

just found out about this nice dude

B. Dolan

Freddy Gibbs

also Canibus (got a whole album dedicated to Egytian like beats, to bad his other albums are lacking

Back to School, enough said
That doesn't make them rap or hip hop especially considering most their songs don't even have that style of vocals. That's like saying Pain of Salvation is rap because Daniel busts a rhyme every now an then.

To the op:

Chino (Deftones) is in this band. They're sorta a mix of trip hop, and shoegaze among other things.

Man, Daniel's rapping is totla tight on Idioglossia and Used.I fucking love old PoS, they are the type of band that makes me cry in the best possible way =)

This is what I listen to while driving around New Orleans shooting people while on PCP.... I think you have to be from the Dirty South to respect/appreciate this. I'll wager that none of you suckers are 51/50 enough.

FREE BOOSIE.

oh god. lol that dude is like 50 yrs old throwing up gang signs at 1:49 also at 4:28

this is some real quality gangsta rap

shit reminds me of the streets big time

I like this;

Pete Philly & Perquisite. Sort of jazzy hip hop from the Netherlands

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUdaZ0hjzik&NR=1[/ame]

I'm only just getting into Hip Hop step by step so I'm still discovering a lot.
The thing about Hip Hop is that it's more about the feel of the beat. I can really enjoy a good groove. To say Hip Hop is crap gives away a lot about how you feel about music in general. If you can't recognize that it takes a lot of talent to write a good hip hop song you're simply ignorant and haven't really given it much thought. You gotta have a good beat/melody for the backing track first of all. Then you have to have good poetry and a nice flow.
To create that well means you are talented. You don't have to like it, but don't say it's crap. Minds are better when they are open ;)