Any hip Hop fans?

I watched this whole special on rap and R n B music. It almost all blows if you ask me, but what pisses me off is that THEY and their fans consider them artists. 99% of these rappers SAMPLE SONGS! they all steal drum beats, and then sample other sounds from real ARTISTS who put their soul into their music and dub it their own creation. Then they have the gull to get pissed off when bands come after them and take them to court. PLAGERISM! come the fuck on anybody could learn a music program and simply cut and paste using an array of differnt songs to make something catchy. I guess this is more a spill on how I don't consider them artists at all.

Dude, that's the whole point. Taking existing music and twisting and turning it into an entirely different expression. It isn't like they're trying to abuse the talents of others because they themselves have none. It's another way of working where the talent is in how they use samples to create something new.

What I love about America is that there is a very wide variety in metal, compared to places like UK(where to me, the thing I think of first is NWOBHM) and Sweden(Swedish Death Metal).

I don't get why some people speak about New York DM, Chicago DM, and Florida DM, but when it comes to other countries it's just "Swedish/Finnish/Mexican/Dutch/whatever death metal". "Swedish death metal" in itself exists in two different very distinct styles; Stockholm DM (Entombed, Dismember, Grave, etc) and Gothenburg DM (Eucharist, Decameron, A Canorous Quintet, etc), along with many other bands with simply their own death metal sounds (Therion, Afflicted, God Macabre, Cemetary, early At The Gates, etc). Add to that big influential black, progressive and doom scenes, and I'd say that Sweden is the most allround metal country overall, barring maybe classic heavy and thrash.

I'm not just talking about Death Metal though. And to be honest, Swedish Death Metal is my favorite among the genre. I know there's a difference, I'm just saying that when "I" think of Sweden, I think Swedish Death Metal, and I'm not including Happy Melodic Metal. I don't think I have to go into specifics, in fact once it gets down to something like "West Columbian Deathrash gorecore" I just can't do that. It's Death Metal, not a fancy sports car or menu item.

And of course I know that both UK and Sweden both have wonderful Doom, Black(Not so much UK), Grindcore, and Punk scenes.

Dude, that's the whole point. Taking existing music and twisting and turning it into an entirely different expression. It isn't like they're trying to abuse the talents of others because they themselves have none. It's another way of working where the talent is in how they use samples to create something new.

I 100% disagree with that. Rap music is a collage. If I was to cut out a lot of portraits and glue them to some cardboard, you wouldn't consider that art would you (even if it looked cool?)

I 100% disagree with that. Rap music is a collage. If I was to cut out a lot of portraits and glue them to some cardboard, you wouldn't consider that art would you (even if it looked cool?)

I would consider it art, maybe just not very exciting. However, it's not that simple. You're gonna have to make it all fit in one mix, make a tasteful song out of it, write good lyrics and record some great vocal tracks, etc.
But hey, it's a perspective shift you have to make from expecting beautiful well made and played music, to expecting good lyrics, a nice groove/flow and a few catchy hooks here and there. The music, not necesarily better or worse, has a different angle and the writers have a completely other approach to it. Who cares about the collage when it's all about what they do over it

If I thought I could be a rapper and be successful I would do it in a heart beat. I mean shit...look at this..
I can understand why people are so attracted to this.
granted there is no rapper in me whatsoever...but this looks like a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
heh haley williams is on a hot track on the new B.o.B album

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-20inKxm08w&annotation_id=annotation_8027&feature=iv[/ame]