Black Metal

Originally posted by Nocturnal Emperor
Macmoney you seem to think every band anyone mentions isnt black metal what is with this Tr00 elitist attitude i can see why some of them arnt black metal but sometimes you get too carryed away.

finally if this last one aint black metal what is it Dimmu borgir - enthrone darkness triumphant (this is a great great album)

I just like to call things by their real names. I don't like to call non-black metal bands black metal. Why? Because they aren't black metal. That's like calling a Ferrari Testarossa a van.

I couldn't tell you in what genre Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to the Heavens belongs to, yet that doesn't make them black metal since it is very evident that they aren't that. Just like with Enthrone Darkenss Triumphant.

Who the fuck is ANYONE in here to classify any bands? Just because one band doesn't fit your definition of black metal doesn't mean it can't be black metal to someone else.

Who are you to tell anyone they can't classify bands? Black metal doesn't vary from person to person. Black metal is what black metal is.

All this cross-genre hairsplitting nonwithstanding, go check out Vesperian Sorrow. Their album Psychotic Sculpture fucken rules. They aren't tr00, don't wear corpsepaint, use keyboards, have a sick rhythm section, even sicker guitars (with SOLOS!!!), and a vocalist that has a "roar range" from Johan Kegg (Amon Amarth) to Jens Ryden (Naglfar) and everywhere in between.

Fuck this stupid, juvenile, OLD argument about what is true and what isn't, about what is black metal and what isn't. The dude asked for bands. Name him some bands and let him figure it out for himself. Make some fucken recommendations instead of bitching and moaning constantly.

Originally posted by Dodens Grav
How could you say otherwise? They're Black Metal. They're definitely not Death Metal. Just because some songs sound more like Death Metal doesn't mean the band is Death Metal. Of course they cross boundaries, but what's wrong with a little innovation?

Death metal? Where the fuck did you whip that one out? Besides Soulside Journey and bits of death metal influence on a couple of Darkthrone albums, there's not much death metal in the bands you mentioned.

But you still didn't answer my question.

Fuck this stupid, juvenile, OLD argument about what is true and what isn't, about what is black metal and what isn't. The dude asked for bands. Name him some bands and let him figure it out for himself. Make some fucken recommendations instead of bitching and moaning constantly.

If you haven't noticed, this thread is OLD. I don't think the starter of this topic even reads it anymore. And if you don't like talking about genres, why don't you just leave it to those who like.

Uh, Mac...I said they weren't Death Metal. Not, they were Death Metal.

And this argument really is pretty ridiculous, because nothing will ever be settled and everyone has different interpretations and boundaries into what can be considered Black Metal.

You said they sounded more like death metal.

Yes, the difference lies in the fact that some interpretations are wrong and some are right.

Well I would consider that open for interpretation myself. It's not always lyrical content that defines a band.

No, it is the ideology written into the music. And it is very audible in Horde that the playing isn't passionate.

Most Black Metal bores the fuck out of me. I only like a few Black Metal bands:

Borknager (beautiful)
Dimmu Borgir (they're mainstream but they're still black metal)
Emperor (brutal and dark)

Originally posted by MURAI

Borknager (beautiful)

Exactly. Everything else is pretty crappy.

Since when was Borknagar black metal? They don't sound like black metal at all to me, except maybe a little bit on the first album.

Originally posted by MURAI

Borknager (beautiful)
Borknagar is not black metal, and Dimmu Borgir is not black metal either.

Siebenburgen - Grimjaur
Dragonlord - Rapture
Finntroll - Midnattens Widunder
Finntroll - Jaktens Tid
Old Mans Child - In Defiance of Existance
Old Mans Child - The Pagan Prosperity
Old Mans Child - Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion
Borknagar - Empiricism
Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond - anything!
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast

And second, the 'Black Metal Ideology' does not soley make up what is Black Metal. Black Metal has a defined and distinct sound from all other music. And this ideology is not soley hatred against Judeo-Christianity it is also spiritual, and a connection with natural elements like the forests and Winter, as well as the world in general. So that would make Borknagar Black Metal if you base it off of the ideology, or what people like to believe is the ideology.

The black metal ideology written into music is what makes music black metal. And where do you get this nonsense about connection with natural elements and such being black metal?

Why do you think 'tr00' Black Metal artists always take band photos in woods and stuff? In the winter? Do you ever read Black Metal lyrics? You don't have to look very hard...

This whole forest thing never was any important until the norwegian scene got blown out of proportion. Check out Venom, Hellhammer or Bathory, forest and winter isn't important there.

Blown out of proportion? fucking hell
its ok that you dislike norway but every fucking post i see from you is something negative about my country or rather the bands from here. and frankly you are pissing me off to the bitter end
you little fuckfaced powerdmetal fruit sitting there juding metal,
and yeah Winter and Forest is a part of black metal either your finnish ass likes it or not
its ok that you want to belive that you are the truest black metal fan there is, but frankly your just getting old and the whole trend you fucking retards have about saying how a band sell out how a band changed style and how a band suck now a days is just fucking up the metal scene
ok you respect venom bathory etc.. i do too
but black metal would neither be nothing without norway or sweden
man i miss when there where metal heads not fucked up geeks doing nothing but sitting behind their pc juding metal and downloading songs

Long live the forest , long live the winter
long live norwegian black metal