Children of Bodom. Old fans a little annoyed?

I thought the genre was based on lyrical content.
It is really. The big trend is in the drumming. The beats are more often than not fairly tribal. Listen to Amon Amarth and you'll see.

That said there are of course exceptions to the rule. Many of them! In theory any metal band could sing about vikings and be viking metal but there are some general trends as i say.

I've heard a couple songs from Hatebreeder. I was mildly interested, but I don't feel like buying any albums from them.

I like all bodom stuff but here are the questions i put to you. 1) Can you be a true bodom fan if you like the old stuff but not the new?
2) Can you be a true bodom fan if you like the new stuff but not the old?

any Question starting with "can you be a true fan if...." is bullshit, if I like a newer songs from a band, Im a fan of the newer songs, so fuck the old stuff. If I dont like, then I dont like, Im still a fan. their are a couple of bands I like a lot, but I cant stand listen to the first Records. am I fake fan, now?

thats crap

I do believe that Something Wild,Hatebreeder&Follow the Reaper were Bodom's best albums.BloodDrunk&Hate Crew Deathroll were also good but not nearly as good as the first 3 imo.I wasn't too impressed with AYDY(the only song I liked was If you want peace...prepare for war&Bastards of Bodom)

I gave Blooddrunk a couple of spins & I think it was surprisingly alright. Seems like they changed their sound a bit, or at least amped up the production/mixing value. Much better than the 2 albums before it.

I've been a fan of Children of Bodom since my early days in metal and I still enjoy them quite a bit. I admit that nowadays they've become commercialized and trendy (and their live skills have waned somewhat), but even the newer albums are worth listening to.

Hatebreeder
Follow the Reaper
Are You Dead Yet?
Something Wild
Blooddrunk
Hate Crew Deathroll

I've been a fan of Children of Bodom since my early days in metal and I still enjoy them quite a bit. I admit that nowadays they've become commercialized and trendy (and their live skills have waned somewhat), but even the newer albums are worth listening to.

Hatebreeder
Follow the Reaper
Are You Dead Yet?
Something Wild
Blooddrunk
Hate Crew Deathroll

Switch numbers 3 and 4 and that is my top three from the band

Switch numbers 3 and 4 and that is my top three from the band

Something Wild would be #3 for me if the songwriting didn't sound like a bunch of riffs cut and pasted together during the mixing process; plus, too many of the riffs are simply classical interpolations (which is cool, but none too original on their own). The production is kind of messy as well.

I think AYDY was a better attempt at thrash than SW was an attempt at neo-classical metal, which is why I like it more.

A few years ago when I was in junior high I was really into Hatebreeder, and I am I was really into that record. It is nothing special anymore for me and the rest of the albums are pretty boring.

It makes me sad to see that so many people write off old favorites as "boring" now that their tastes have "evolved". What happens when you get even older and you look back on your favorite black/death/thrash and think "man, that's boring"?

Maybe I'm regressing, but I find that I'm returning to a lot of my old metal favorites like Children of Bodom and Lamb of God - not in favor of my current metal favorites, but I'm finding a lot more to enjoy than I once did. I'm even starting to enjoy a lot of metalcore/deathcore bands that most people here accuse of being "gateway bands".

I feel in love with that record when I was like 12/13, I am 16 now. Things change. My taste in music has gotten to the point where I do not need everything to be super catchy, and while catchy is a good thing and the album is indeed catchy it sounds really cheesy. I seriously thought that what Alexi was doing was jaw-dropping but now it just sounds like a decent metal album and nothing more. I will say it is not pointless wankery.

Follow the Reaper is my favorite Bodom album, and probably one of my favorite albums ever. I enjoyed Hatebreeder and Something Wild, but they don't seem nearly as original, since everything on those albums sounds like modernized baroque music.

I bought Hate Crew Deathroll and thought it was a huge disappointment, so I stopped buying their albums after that. I don't think I've heard Are You Dead Yet? but I downloaded Blooddrunk and wasn't very impressed.

I also have Inearthed's "Shining" demo on my playlist, but I don't remember what my opinion of it was.
Bodom are an awesome band, and who ever said their music lacked substance is way off! Their music is probably the most complex in the scene!
That's not what substance means.

I don't really like Bodom very much, but I sure as fuck don't hate them. I'm no fan boy, but I can recognize talent when I hear it. The thing I don't like about Bodom is that their music is not aesthetically pleasing for more than 2-3 songs. They're not varied in their approach & much of the songwriting is very moot. It's just all together unrewarding music. The biggest thing they offer me would be some pretty decent stuff to learn on guitar.

I agree totally. But I really don't like Alexi's vocals in the older albums...I tried to get into Bodom and I really can't, THOUGH they do have a couple of good songs I admit. In Your Face is awesome. :kickass:

They aren't one of those bands, I think, that their focus is to be different sounding on every song....judging by the songs and lyrics I have heard...their focus is to be loud and well "in your face" kind of metal which is great when someone wants that...they aren't trying to be the best musicians and covering every genre and making sure each song is about something different...that's just what I'm getting from their albums and lyrics, they want to be loud, fast and want to be a "fuck you" kind of band. haha does that make sense? ah, probably not. :rolleyes:

but anyways, for this thread....I am a newer fan to metal...I've been in it for about 7 months. so because I'm new I'm not a real fan of metal? that's messed up. I'm also new to Children Of Bodom...the first songs I heard were In Your Face, Are You Dead Yet, Banned From Heaven, Blooddrunk and it's because those are the first songs to pop up on youtube when I searched COB! and I happened to like those songs alot actually...so I guess I'm not a "tr00" fan because I liked the newer songs because they got popular...I was on metal forums and had them recommended to me geesh. I think a person is a true fan if they genuinely like the band. What's the right reason to get into a band huh? You said new fans aren't in it for the right reason....isn't the right reason because YOU LIKE THE MUSIC? :headbang: I think so, if someone likes their new music and they heard it because yes COB is popular..they're still a fan cause they like the music.
man why does it matter if they heard them because they are mainstream? that's how alot of bands gain new fans, through promotion and becoming popular.

Hatebreeder, Follow The Reaper, + Hate Crew Deathroll r best, but I like most of their othr stuff 2.