COB start writing new album

I realized that Alexi needs to find something that will inspire him to write music in a way he used to. I mean, just look - HOB was inspired by Tonmi`s death, and it was a step in good direction, it brought back some oldschoolish ideas, it was best Bodom stuff in years, parts of some songs had really good potential (All Twisted chorus, Transference bridge to solos, Bodom Blue Moon intro and main riff). I fear he doesn`t have that inspiration for new album. Guy has settled life, stable relationship, money, even doesn`t drink anymore (and this used to be his great inspiration tool), all he finds inspiration from these days is that stupid movie with that Dude character. Big Lebowski or whatever. Seriously, we need that pain, anger, depression and misery again. Only that can create atmospheric music, not riff - oriented - something that will be forgotten in two years when they create new album...

Amen... except I don't wish more harm for Alexi... he has progressed to a new level as a human recently, he seems to value himself more and he's not medicating his underlying depression by getting wasted anymore. Why should he? When you take distance from your troubles you tend to dive into soul searching, and that is why Halo of Blood took one step back to the past.

The inspiration you talk about, every artist uses their hard experiences as material in their art to create emotional charge, and thus give themselves therapy, but no-one has endless amounts of heart-blood, that's why the cult pieces are usually among the first 2-4 releases, be it CD's, books, video games, movies.

Now we just hope Alexi took distance from disturbance and surrounded himself with an environment that allowed him to dive into the depths of creativity and come up with a fresh perspective to the romantic demonology and core essence of Bodom. When you listen to songs such as Warheart, it's like treating a demonic cobra that requires masterful playing from its seducer in order to let him stare at him without killing him. It's not just notes, it's like there's an invisible dark consciousness underneath the music that controls the impressive playing. It's like there was an intense, silent plan keeping the songs intact. Their music seemed like it wasn't even made by humans.

I believe they can still do great metal music, but they need to discover the musical style and atmosphere that works, they should look for a way to sound more alien than ever, that is the secret key, but will they do it, or just pound on blindly? With Halo of Blood they finally reached a dead end in terms of soundworld, when the colour melted off and there was nothing more to give, just a couple dark songs among the ten. Even without recent personal trauma/inspiration, there's no reason why you couldn't write death metal even on a sunny day; the world is full of incredibly joyful and incredibly terrible subjects, what matters is whether the metal has power to touch and stir you.

Interview with Alexi at Musikmesse

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/en/interviews/view/id/5448

Children Of Bodom

At Frankfurt Musikmesse we proposed ESP Guitars the option to interview an artist from their roster. Since both we and Alexi Laiho were in Frankfurt, that was their candidate and we grabbed the opportunity with both hands. Laiho is among the very best of its genre and has grown out to become a true celebrity in the last years. That also implies you can’t pop a fart in public without people knowing it. This also means I am in turn forced to ask about on-going topics I would have otherwise left to rest, but what do you know, some pretty interesting facts arose during the interview. Later this year we will dig into his gear, now we are going to talk about Messe, his internet war with Robby Flynn, his guitar, his party-hard-mentality and of course the progress of the album. And did you know he lives in LA part time? So what cars come with that? Read it and know it.

Welcome to Lords of Metal.

(...)

You have some interesting gear, but you are currently in the studio, aren’t you? How far are you?

Two weeks behind us, four more weeks to go. I just recorded my rhythm parts, drums are laid down in three or four days. So when I am done I listen to the song and I am doing doublings on the guitars. Basically we are going back to back, we lay down the basics for three songs and then they do their parts and I do three more and you know, that is the way we always did it. It’s a pretty good routine, you don’t have to do everything in a row, so you get some room to breathe a little bit And it is less boring for the other guys who otherwise would just have to sit and wait for their turn, for one guy to finish his parts. We always have the songs ready when we go in the studio, it saves a lot of time and a lot of money. We are not Def Leppard (laughs). But even if that was the case, if we had all the time, we want to be ready to roll and we like that pressure. We still come up with a lot of ideas an there is still room for that to slip in.

(...)

Well, the album is out in September and we are going to tour for almost three years for it, so we’ll see.

Thanks for your time, we are looking out for the album

My pleasure, thank you, take care.

Quote from the other thread.

I think he meant with the word "angry" the HCDR-Album. This is IMO the "angriest" Album. Also one of my favourites in general.
And I think his sound actually lacks of some heavieness, some deep low-end pressure, like it is on songs like Sixpounder which I really really love.

I think he meant with the word "angry" the HCDR-Album. This is IMO the "angriest" Album. Also one of my favourites in general.
And I think his sound actually lacks of some heavieness, some deep low-end pressure, like it is on songs like Sixpounder which I really really love.

I think this is the problem. Maybe we need something new, like Joonas said. Something that feels like alien music again. Like Deadnight Warrior felt like alien music when it was released. Or Downfall, Every Time I Die...haunting echoing guitar, pure pain in every single note. We don't need an album that sounds like this album or that album. HCDR part 2...no, thank you. That is doomed to fail. We need something new.

In my opinion anger is the problem of all albums after AYDY. It's like these albums only have anger, and not much of anything else. When you say angry album, I imagine Alexi being angry because he can't write something recognizable again. He has awesome ideas all the time, but nowadays he just can't put them all together the way he wants them to be.

Amen... except I don't wish more harm for Alexi... he has progressed to a new level as a human recently, he seems to value himself more and he's not medicating his underlying depression by getting wasted anymore. Why should he? When you take distance from your troubles you tend to dive into soul searching, and that is why Halo of Blood took one step back to the past.

The inspiration you talk about, every artist uses their hard experiences as material in their art to create emotional charge, and thus give themselves therapy, but no-one has endless amounts of heart-blood, that's why the cult pieces are usually among the first 2-4 releases, be it CD's, books, video games, movies.

Now we just hope Alexi took distance from disturbance and surrounded himself with an environment that allowed him to dive into the depths of creativity and come up with a fresh perspective to the romantic demonology and core essence of Bodom. When you listen to songs such as Warheart, it's like treating a demonic cobra that requires masterful playing from its seducer in order to let him stare at him without killing him. It's not just notes, it's like there's an invisible dark consciousness underneath the music that controls the impressive playing. It's like there was an intense, silent plan keeping the songs intact. Their music seemed like it wasn't even made by humans.

I believe they can still do great metal music, but they need to discover the musical style and atmosphere that works, they should look for a way to sound more alien than ever, that is the secret key, but will they do it, or just pound on blindly? With Halo of Blood they finally reached a dead end in terms of soundworld, when the colour melted off and there was nothing more to give, just a couple dark songs among the ten. Even without recent personal trauma/inspiration, there's no reason why you couldn't write death metal even on a sunny day; the world is full of incredibly joyful and incredibly terrible subjects, what matters is whether the metal has power to touch and stir you.

And also I wanna say that here I agree on everything you said.

Both mixing and mastering? Then get some vinyl and laser beam that shit onto discs and send it to us. So maybe next week we get some news, sit tight... I think Alexi appears excited about it. Back in the kitchen he seemed stressed out, but maybe it turned out good in studio.

I think this is the problem. Maybe we need something new, like Joonas said. Something that feels like alien music again. Like Deadnight Warrior felt like alien music when it was released. Or Downfall, Every Time I Die...haunting echoing guitar, pure pain in every single note. We don't need an album that sounds like this album or that album. HCDR part 2...no, thank you. That is doomed to fail. We need something new.

In my opinion anger is the problem of all albums after AYDY. It's like these albums only have anger, and not much of anything else. When you say angry album, I imagine Alexi being angry because he can't write something recognizable again. He has awesome ideas all the time, but nowadays he just can't put them all together the way he wants them to be.

Yeah, and then we get something new and the people start whining about that this isn't COB anymore. You can't make everyone happy, I'd be happy with a HDCR 2.0 some others may not, that's life.

Yeah, and then we get something new and the people start whining about that this isn't COB anymore. You can't make everyone happy, I'd be happy with a HDCR 2.0 some others may not, that's life.

If they made something new and went in the right direction, people would be happy. It's been the same watered down album now many times over. A slight change in tone isn't enough. We want radicality, atmosphere and energy, to sum it up, cos that's what Bodom fans got used to in the past. It's like the Indian tiger, once it tastes human flesh it won't settle for less.

If they release exactly one song of Deadnight Warrior caliber in years to come, I'll be happy enough.

But he said he would never do that Yngwie kinda stuff again, that's why I think no album gonna be like Something Wild or Hatebreeder again.
I hope you, who beg for "new" stuff that it is really hard to invent the wheel new. As Nergal from Behemoth in his biography said: "Probably every riff is written."
That's why I want him to change a bit his sound like more gain and more low-end, not Dj0nt but I think his sound got really thinn and week over the years.

I mostly want to know the atmosphere of the album (oh my god I sound like Joonas)

Is it going to be heavy and dark or more melody saturated?

Greetings everyone. I haven't posted on here in years. But with the upcoming new album, I felt it was time to join in on the conversation!

Firstly, I think the way Alexi described the changes in the recording process in that new interview will be very beneficial. It allows for more of a natural type flow in the recording process instead of stop, go, stop, go. This keeps they're creativity going in a constant loop.

Secondly. Alexi stating he has cut back major on the booze will help out too. Frees up some strain on his mind. Takes away that sort of pressure alcoholism can build onto a musician. I think this will help him immensely towards finding that magic once more. Im just hoping they can continue on the redemption path they set down with Halo!

Cheers to everyone. Hope for some good conversations in the future!

He will think I am mentally unstable If I ask him that Joonas....
:lol: To be honest, it's somewhat of a strange question. Few people connect colors with music. Depends on the song too. Dead Man's Hand On You, to me, is a very gloomy mix of bright green and lots of black, especially the pre-chorus, for example.

Over 3 months until release so maybe in a month we'll get some interviews that don't say much at all, then album title+artwork, then song titles, samples and actual interviews, then two weeks until leaks and then two weeks until release.

I've got the impression it's an aggressive album, but let's hope it's also magical and malevolent and atmospheric, not just some heavy fast thrash riffing, for indeed true aggression is produced with creativity, not how hard you hit the instruments.