COB start writing new album

Studio tone is one thing, but live tone is another and for me also important aspect. I am still wondering how would Alexi's solos sound like (with his current skill) with his old gear live today. Nowadays he uses too much distortion for my taste, and solos (especially sweeps in them) sound like total garbage sometimes (like in the KTS from Bloodstock video). For instance I can't imagine me playing solos on my guitar without using a bit of a delay, that helps a lot imho.

We can all forgive him for the bloodstock apperance, he had recently broken his shoulder/arm to almost career ending degree, according his doctors.... A lot of the recent videos have been s lot more flawless!

the best chorus in any song (SK)

This is of course strongly a matter of opinion... I for one think there's much better parts in the song than the chorus. It's almost like the Needled chorus. There's so many great choruses on the newer albums as well... such as tracks 3, 4, 5, 8 off HCDR... tracks 1, 5 off AYDY... tracks 1, 4, 6 off Blooddrunk... track 8 is of course the best chorus off RRF (imo).

I once again can't delude myself, and realize RRF is a garbage of a Bodom album after giving it half a spin. Bodom is supposed to be the best music in the world, so it's hard to digest this. They can do so much more interesting music, they just have to get inspired and listen to some atmospheric black metal and doom metal bands to get fresh influences, even some metalcore bands have some really moody riffing, why not also listen to some electronic stuff for synth and drum ideas.

I wish Jonnas write an epic post telling his personal opinion and details of every single song of every album of COB.

It would be so interesting to read, isn't it? :rofl:

We can all forgive him for the bloodstock apperance, he had recently broken his shoulder/arm to almost career ending degree, according his doctors.... A lot of the recent videos have been s lot more flawless!

Considering his career is still full swing, I do hope those doctors have re-evaluated what is a 'career ending degree.' Are you saying he suffered temporary paralysis? Or was it just nasty enough to create a permanant decrease in range of motion? Do you realize you've basically just said that according to his doctors the recent videos have been more flawless?

N.E.Ways. I'm really interested to see what the guys will write. All this conjecture is doing nothing to assuage my curiosity.

For instance I can't imagine me playing solos on my guitar without using a bit of a delay, that helps a lot imho.

because it makes you sound less sloppy :tickled: well of course it's can be also used to make a solo sound more interesting or simply because you like the (delay)sound but delays are used a lot to help/support a bad singer or to cover up not-that-great-playing on a recording.

I think the next album should sound more like this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybKifd3J0NI&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SPC4668C356885C6B0[/ame]

'cuz then maybe Joonas and I could actually support COB again

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys should also listen to this

I guess maybe that last one is bad news. Clearly, the guys don't actually have an album waiting for them anymore. They do actually have to write their own shit. mea culpa, I did have it planned all along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you seriously want Bodom to get even further away from their original sound and adopt even more shitty American thrash sound?

http://www.metalforcesmagazine.com/site/feature-children-of-bodom-05-12/

Alexi quote:

“We’re having a break right now, so I’m gonna start writing some stuff. We’re gonna do festivals throughout the whole summer, and by the end of June we’re gonna start writing new stuff. We should be in the studio sometime during this year. It’s gonna be metal, that’s for sure.”

New album for spring/summer 2013!

EDIT:

Apparently this was posted to the interviews thread two days ago, but I'll leave it here in case somebody's lazy and only reads this thread.

I read that whole thing in the other thread but I didn't see the very last paragraph...

Anyway holy fucking shit, they're gonna write 'metal'. :p

Ok I'm gonna rant a little now and I like to say things radical, so if you can't bear then don't read... and who cares, since they never replied on my shit about the last album either (if not for a couple "you're weird" comments by Janne and Kal)... And I gave up ever having a chance to party with them or even talk with Alexi so who cares really. But seriously, judging from the recent press statements they have no ideas what they're gonna do, but why? Are they just so busy dealing with their current live shit they can't envision their future album? Does Children Of Bodom bore them? Or they sincerely just don't know yet, but are faschinated and fingers sweating waiting to start working on it?

To me their pockets seemed pretty much empty when writing the last album, sorry to say this but that's how it looked like all the way. Yes they eventually made some good ideas, but when you have albums like Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper as benchmark, it just wasn't enough by any means. This is just the opinion of one fan. Now unless there's some excited statements about what kinda music they're thrilled about working on on this album, I won't do as much as lift my eyebrow, not after I felt like a fool the last time, I come up with this shit about lakes and forests and atmosphere and the band has a radically different approach. What you see is what you get, that applies to people and the things they do. You might think COB's really thrilled about it but they just don't show it... that's what I wanted to think when they were silently making RRF, before they started the marketing slogans on the eve of the release... "omg we have the best album ever" and so on.

I'm a bit disappointed as a band like Children Of Bodom is gonna write another album and they sound about as inspired as a dog about to lick its own puke, when they have the tools necessary to forge the best metal album ever. It's just so unfortunate. Are they depressed? I'm always presenting these wild ideas what could be done with COB's music, but if none of that stuff is interesting to them then I'd suppose they're perfectly satisfied with the kind of music they put out... But everyone knows there's room for improvement over every aspect of the latest COB material in terms of creativity. This is just another attempt to try to make them realize the VAST possibility they have to make an epic album, so don't take this as insult...

There's so much things to hate about this human world and the people in it, and so many sad truths about life, how can you ever lose inspiration to write metal music that spews those shocking and disturbing elements. No matter how spiritual or content or devoted to love you are, there's always shit to inspire you, like a chick that gives you a bad look, or the people who kill animals and reap down forests and poison the oceans. Today something stupid happened and I wanted to kill somebody, I listened to Hatebreeder because it felt soothing to my spirit.

And one other thing, I get the picture Alexi's saying they can't be something they're not today, which is the original Children Of Bodom, they're not inspired by the Reaper or the Lake anymore... that's just bullshit and throwing away their piece of excellent art. Why has Children Of Bodom started to be all about Alexi since Are You Dead Yet? It used to be about something else, only fueled by Alexi's emotions - now it's ABOUT Alexi with his ego issues and hangovers. The purpose of this is to say why can't they have an illusionary theme such as the lake and the Reaper and the rest of the "mythology". It's just art. Do all artists only tell about themselves and nothing imaginary? I bet if they did it would not interest anyone.

So what happened to Alexi's symbolic thinking ability along the way? Recently he stated "heaven and hell are a state of mind" so it's not all gone, he even uses the terms Heaven and Hell on Blooddrunk songtitles. Maybe it wasn't conscious but he used to use the Lake to symbolize both the Abyss and a sanctuary of dark comforts for lost souls - which is what the music is. The Reaper symbolized the peril that awaits those who become victims to violence, overabuse of alcohol, drugs and other addictions, or suicide. While the forest symbolizes the world of a lost person that hides many dangers and unknowns in its shadows. I know this is a deep analyzis, but it just fit naturally to the vibe in COB's music back in the day. It might not even have been an original idea by the band itself, but they chose to use it seeing as it fit their music, and I liked it, as a teenager with my own troubles it felt like some sort of eerie salvation. RRF is a clever artwork that uses elements from the actual Bodom murder scene such as the tent and the knife and the bodies under the trees, but I wouldn't regard it as another in the series of the first three.

I just want them to be passionate about Children Of Bodom like I am. Scroll thru all the other metal bands out there that have an artistic theme, Dimmu, Cradle, Hypocrisy, etc, Bodom HAD one too that's just as interesting, I just wish they digged it themselves. Bodom have become like In Flames, just a bunch of dudes under a title writing heavy riffs. But a video of SKO with the band drinking and messing around is just a big fuck you to the old fans.

I'm not saying RRF is 'bad' either, it's just something they could do any day, nothing particularly noteworthy. Who knows, maybe they even tried to satisfy us and make the album of fans' dreams, but I think it's too far from what old fans liked about COB.

Done editing... this shit actually expanded from a couple of lines. Now just waiting for Janne to say "Joonas, you're an asshole" or Kal: "Dude, get treatment". :p

Why has Children Of Bodom started to be all about Alexi since Are You Dead Yet? It used to be about something else, only fueled by Alexi's emotions, now it's ABOUT Alexi and his chick problems and hangovers.

He hit puberty
smiley_smug.gif

Also, writing about lakes and reapers and stuff is so immature. Emo chicks, partying, hangovers and skateboarding are a lot more mature and refined subjects.

I actually edited the "chick problems" away so his girlfriend wouldn't read it. :D You have a a valid point there, I love the sarcasm about what Alexi thinks is and is not 'mature'. Isn't it time for Alexi to evolve over the hangovers/parties/skateboarding/emo chicks (he's calmed down recently anyway) and write music about something symbolic like the lake and Reaper from a more distant perspective. It would be therapeutical for Alexi himself to go over his past, and I like the way it served a way for his listeners to channel the negativity in their life, just like it did for him.

I actually edited the "chick problems" away so his girlfriend wouldn't read it. :D You have a a valid point there, I love the sarcasm about what Alexi thinks is and is not 'mature'. Isn't it time for Alexi to evolve over the hangovers/parties/skateboarding/emo chicks (he's calmed down recently anyway) and write music about something symbolic like the lake and Reaper from a more distant perspective. It would be therapeutical for Alexi himself to go over his past, and I like the way it served a way for his listeners to channel the negativity in their life, just like it did for him.

yeah it's super mature to write about reapers. it's so evil and cooooool

Takes one to know one? Or maybe you actually believe that you're some know-it-all and only your opinions can be correct. Some of you are so lost in life without a clue that in between drinking, watching tv and thinking that you are somewhat important against the other 6 billion drones out there, is surely a classic form of something.

You clearly don't know shit about me, and looks like you only just told me you're a troll, you're lost in life, not realizing what's above the drinking and watching TV. It's quite funny to hear this kind of accusation as I'm the spiritual nature loving dude who constantly bemoans how the majority of people sleepwalk thru their lives. I don't drink or watch TV. Instead I do sports, eat healthy, and educate myself with wisdom... So what is this horse shit?... I don't expect anything else from you since you seem to be all about the negativity.

Looking at my recent posts on this thread, and the few but awkward replies, this should be very clear. I'm merely here to help people open their eyes, while this forum is like a zoo cage of angry chimpanzees throwing their own poo at me while I try to avoid being hit. It's always the same story, nothing changes here. I'm basically the most active COB fan still around their forum talking on-topic, but many times people wanted me to stop writing here cos I don't fit in.