COB start writing new album

Belgium <3 why did they not stay :erk:

Quote from some interview in Guitar World from 2005. Full interview found on page 2 of the "COB Interviews" thread.

As it happened, one of the band’s demos ended up at a now-defunct indie label in Belgium. Considering the musical climate of the times, Laiho had no expectations that a record contract was in his group’s immediate future. So, when the Belgians offered to put out a Children of Bodom record, he jumped at the opportunity. “It was the shittiest contract ever. We had to pay to record the album. Then we had to buy 1,000 copies to sell ourselves. It was ridiculous, but we didn’t think we’d get anything better.”
On a whim, Laiho passed a copy of the band’s tape to an employee at Spinefarm Records, one of Europe’s more active extreme metal labels. To everyone’s surprise the exec loved it and offered to sign the group. ”Unfortunately, we already had the contract with the Belgians,” says Laiho. “But it sucked so bad. So we told them that we broke up and couldn’t deliver the record. Then we came up with a new name and signed to Spinefarm.”
The name Laiho and his band mates selected couldn’t have been more chilling to their fellow citizens. Children of Bodom is a reference to a triple murder that took place in 1960 near Lake Bodom in Espoo, Finland. Four teens went camping; three died, one made it out alive. The killer got away and for years the police failed to solve the crime.

Joonas. Why is this forum dead? It's not any more un-active than normally, unless you count the times shortly before and after an album.

I was just thinking, so the first album was originally Inearthed - Something Wild? And what was the original title of Lake Bodom? I think Laiho was asked this and he doesn't remember.

I was just thinking, so the first album was originally Inearthed - Something Wild? And what was the original title of Lake Bodom? I think Laiho was asked this and he doesn't remember.

Inearthed - Something Wild, yes. Lake Bodom was most probably called Something Wild before changing the name of the band, because in the end of the song they say: "Tonight's gonna be something wild", and then the song ends.

And I'm now wondering how Lake Bodom could be named like that if it aren't any references to the Lake Bodom at the lyrics. Or at least the lyrics I saw.

Because the melody makes you see waves of a lake, also it's kind of doomy. Somehow the rest of the song is very difficult to memorize. Vocals are great.

Because the melody makes you see waves of a lake, also it's kind of doomy. Somehow the rest of the song is very difficult to memorize. Vocals are great.
Well, just the intro parts and the end can give me shivers, but visualize the lake is beyond my mind, sorry.

Then you have a visualization problem, just my opinion. The song titles are not for no reason. Think about Towards Dead End. It doesn't make me see anything but it's got a clear vibe of coming to a hopeless end. One of COB's best melodies ever btw.

Then you have a visualization problem, just my opinion. The song titles are not for no reason. Think about Towards Dead End. It doesn't make me see anything but it's got a clear vibe of coming to a hopeless end. One of COB's best melodies ever btw.
+1 with Towards Dead End. I'm always whistling the lead guitar riff, hahaha.

I see nothing in Lake Bodom just because I barely like the song. I hear to it with no emphasis so it's obvious that I won't see anything in that song.

For example, in Bed of Razors I always see "mediaval stuff", maybe because the guitars. And in Children of Decadence I see a beach burning at midnight while the first person is running in circles. Everyone has it perception, but hey, this is no the Visualization Song Theme, haha.

The Lake Bodom thing creates a nice contrast with it's fresh melody to what is otherwise quite a "dry" -sounding album, and with the desert artwork... gives it a distant and mysterious feel.

I stopped reading this thread around page 8, where I realized it was really derailing bad and it was pointless to keep reading about Joonas' rants because.. Well, I mostly agree with him, but all I can do is wait and see.

There is absolutely no news about the next album. Nothing. Everyone's disappointed to see it's not news posted but instead some Joonas rant, but that's all there is so take it or leave it. :p There is no reason at all to expect news for 4-6-8 months.

If they booked the recording studio for late 2012/early 2013, there's really nothing to talk about.

I think a june-july 2013 release date, and I think I won't be wrong.

Yeah. And if they keep silent about it again and the album proves surpriseless, then... bad stuff.

Now if I was their management I'd tell them to inform fans around August they're going to make a fresh sounding album with an interesting style change. Then keep the fans excited and informed about the album process.

It's all down to the passion level. At this moment I'm shit scared about the band having no fucking idea about their coming album. On the other hand the change of record label is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Right. I expect at least some updates during this summer about new ideas, which won't be rare because early this year we had in some magazine that they were beginning to write some shit (but knowing Alexi that's bullshit, he doesn't write till the last moment nowadays...), so they can't shut up the mouth during this months.

I don't know exactly about the silence/updates during and prior the recording of Relentless but I hope they're share with us a bit of enthusiasm of the new album.

They surely need a lot of enthusiasm to beat albums like Follow the Reaper or Hatebreeder... I say good luck trying.

HCDR shocked the fans, AYDY changed the fan zine, Blooddrunk destroyed it and RRF buried it... or maybe nobody bothers to use forums these days, or maybe the tension is gone cos the band reached its peak a long time ago... you judge.