COB start writing new album

I love to read Joonas's posts.
Maybe his "wisdom" annoy us because is something that one cannot hear one day, but at least you pass the time reading something interesting...

I insist you to do a review of every COB song or album. At least you contribute in this forum, instead of post shit.

(I'm not a troll for telling this, I just read this forum for a long while and wanted to say my opinion)

Trolls, trolls, trolls. What's so troll about Joonas? That he is trolling you without even being a troll? That speaks more about you as a matter of fact. Joonas actually contributes to this site some thoughs on the band and it's music while others are just whining about HIM. As if he didn't have a right to criticize the band's shitty new albums, but you have a right to say the're great.

yeah it's super mature to write about reapers. it's so evil and cooooool

It's not about the what you write about, it's HOW you write. COB never had exactly very deep or good lyrics, and their faschination of the Reaper and the lake were always more of an aesthetic thing (from a listener's/reader's perspective) than anything else. Using lyrics as a means to enchance the artistic vision and the atmosphere of the music is lot more mature than writing shit about partying and ugly chicks. It's not about whether Reaper is evil or cool (which it certainly is, compared to their new lyrical subjects).

Takes one to know one? Or maybe you actually believe that you're some know-it-all and only your opinions can be correct. Some of you are so lost in life without a clue that in between drinking, watching tv and thinking that you are somewhat important against the other 6 billion drones out there, is surely a classic form of something.

What's your point? When you write an opinion on a messageboard it should be pretty clear it's an opinion, without having to spam IMO IMO IMO everywhere. Unless the reader is a retard, of course. And in my eyes, Joonas' opinions are definitely better and more "correct" than most of the people's here. Good thing though, that you acknowledge yourself being a meaningless drone.

I've lurked on this forum for a while and I can see how Joonas can come across as a pseudointellectual character that thinks a little too much to some people. Most people base this off of only reading a few posts by him. But some of his posts do show he's pretty open-minded.

Like Joonas, I miss COBs old sound, youth, and image that seems to be long gone. I would say some of his thoughts on COB are pretty much in line with mine and a nice detailed read but the thing is I have read the same things over and over by him (they're just worded differently it seems) to the point where his opinions bore me to death. But what can I say, music and art means different things to different people and they're free to think as they wish. All I can say is that regardless with whether or not you agree with him you got to admire the guys passion.

Anyway, I only come here for Sleeper666's posts. I must give her a shoutout b/c she's always been the MVP of this forum, for me. (Vannessie, Khaos, and random-x get honorable mention).

Yeah, I guess the ones who disagree with my opinions like to see me as pseudo-intellectual as I'm going against their opinion without backing it with evidence they can approve of. Some of them take the whip and try to prove me wrong with 'different perceptions of the art' (as you said) like Arcane. Some just take the whip and don't bother to discuss constructively as they're infuriated by me not clarifying things I say to be "my opinion". However it's not always possible to prove everything, and I don't even claim to be an intelligent person, just a guy who feels stuff and thinks deeper than surface and likes to shock with words. Can you be intelligent without knowledge? If a person always plays it safe with what he says, he doesn't get enemies, but he doesn't provoke any change either.

Why not just not read my posts? :lol:

Well, he clearly doesn't
smiley_smug.gif
Some people just HAVE to have the last word.

Short question for you, Joonas, if you don't mind!

I always see you talking about the 'green and blue' one and I couldn't agree more with you but I'd like to know what you think about Something Wild, cause I've never really seen you talking about it.

And, to stay a little bit on-topic - I suppose they've found their direction, mainly focusing on the technical aspect of their music, speaking of complex rhythm figures etc. I wouldn't go as far as to say that their new albums are total crap but when comparing to what the band is/was capable off (97-2001) it is a huge step back.

I always see you talking about the 'green and blue' one and I couldn't agree more with you but I'd like to know what you think about Something Wild, cause I've never really seen you talking about it.

I think with Something Wild the band didn't yet understand what they were really about, but I admire the attitude and passionate anger Alexi had and the drive to get out there and make fans of metal take notice. The music has those Bodom-style catchy moments present but at the same time the soundworld and style is more raw than my taste. The album artwork describes the dryness of the soundworld quite well. The theme is all about the Reaper wanting to lure you from this arid wild world to Lake Bodom which is like a chastise dressed in a promise of salvation. (Ultimately by Follow the Reaper for me the theme is circling around depression and rebellious lifestyle, and the temptation to give in to dark attractions such as nightly drinking habits and eventually let it consume your lost soul but you can't help your desires. It might be the nostalgia that's made such an emotional deeper meaning to this shit to me personally as I could transfer it to my personal experiences around 2000-2003.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zls_wM6mA8E&feature=related[/ame]

The songs on SW are somewhat labyrinthine. It's amazing how they managed to soon do something like Silent Night, Bodom Night which is flat-out straightforward catchiness from beginning to end. SNBN will eternally be the culmination of the band's music to me, it's this moment in the band's discography that you realize you're witnessing the birth of a genious metal band that's gonna skyrocket. First the band enters the top of metal world thru Warheart, then this track comes smashing in blowing the jackpot, while Hatebreeder and Bed Of Razors weed out the remaining doubtfuls alive in different fashions.

The vocals on Something Wild are obviously amazing altough I like the best vocals of Hatebreeder more. Some stupid messing around with growling vocals that fuck up the ending of DW and the Red Light 1 choruses. I don't like Touch Like at all. Lake Bodom has that nostalgic melody of course and some of the best vocals ever, but I still don't completely understand how the melody and the raw riffing are supposed to gel in the song. The Nail is a catchy and interesting song, the intro of Red Light 1 is amazing and the outro of In the Shadows is some of the best shit ever.

I dig Deadnight Warrior fucking much these days, there's many epic ideas, some of which could've been instantiated better on the album. That intro makes me wonder how you listen to music at a "different frequency" as you evolve in listening to music, now I can barely notice the guitars, I just think why is it so slow, you can hear the keys fade away completely before they strike again, it could be faster. There's a great melody at the end of the vocal sections but it wasn't engineered to be audible and distinct and it's barely grasping your attention beneath the vocals.

The band improved on the 1:56 - 2:06 part by slower tempo drumming letting the guitar surface more also.

It's an awkward neo-classical metal album with some magical moments and I rank it at the same level as their newest albums, Something Wild is more unique while new ones have more experience (and superficiality for good or bad).

To me, the "green and blue album" are the only two pure, full-blooded Children Of Bodom albums and also the ones I like the most.

And, to stay a little bit on-topic - I suppose they've found their direction, mainly focusing on the technical aspect of their music, speaking of complex rhythm figures etc. I wouldn't go as far as to say that their new albums are total crap but when comparing to what the band is/was capable off (97-2001) it is a huge step back.

My thoughts are: they should go for feeling and melody first, then start worrying about turning it technical. There's something about the atmospheric method that, when feeling is introduced, the heavy elements have a heavier impact than any form of sheer technical riffing, no matter how deep you dig at heavy sounds it's just pretentious gloom. I'm supporting Alexi for one more time making a moody metal album, another story is will he ever even read all these posts. He doesn't. Then, once a year a journalist asks him about the return to roots, to which he replies "like neo-classical wankery, no way dude", and that's what bums me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
MY THOUGHTS ARE THAT IT IS ABSOLUTELY IDIOTIC FOR THEM TO HAVE REFUSED THE LAST WRITINGS OF PAUL GRAY ON THE BASIS THAT SUCH WOULD BE TOO "AMERICAN CLICHE" AND THEN ALEXI IS DATING KRISTEN, A FUCKING QUINTESSENTIAL AMERICAN CLICHE.

mad props to Paul and all the addicts from whom I stole tiny pieces to assemble the whole. that's right. you heard it here first. The latest Gojira album contains the work of Paul Gray.

Really, it's a pity that COB disregards their earliest American fans like that. Back before Slipknot was big, Paul totally rocked out to COB. But then I guess he 'grew out of it' like all of us over on this side of the world do once that feeling starts to set in... you know the feeling, the 'I hate Americans' feeling? Hey! Maybe that is what they should do on the next album: explore their obvious love/hate relationship with American culture. We really eat that shit up around here you know. We hate our own government too!

I would dig this guitar tone for COB's next album. This shit is from the '80's. :headbang:

Children,children,why all this analytic nonsense
a band primarily writes tunes that sound good to themselves,having played in a band myself i
know this for fact,if YOU like fine if not dont buy it!!
you will always get the "amazing" or "shite" reaction.
you cannot and will not please everyone,bands naturally evolve you cant play the same
shit year after year unless your called Status Quo,and all this Alexi should do this or Alexi
should do that bollox your not his mother,hes a big boy now and knows how to write a proper tune
hes written proper tunes since 97,move with the times my children,move with the times

First of all it's a common thing in music industry that once bands become succesful by themselves, a bigger record label will look them up and steer their music to a more commercial style... Now COB's changing back to who they used to be with, I wonder if we know all the reasons. Of course, COB first got a deal from Nuclear Blast when Something Wild came out.

First of all it's a common thing in music industry that once bands become succesful by themselves, a bigger record label will look them up and steer their music to a more commercial style... Now COB's changing back to who they used to be with, I wonder if we know all the reasons. Of course, COB first got a deal from Nuclear Blast when Something Wild came out.

Haven't they been with Spinefarm from the very beginning? Nuclear Blast released the first 3 albums in foreign countries but they were still released by SF in Finland, right?

Also, with SW didn't they get a deal from some Belgian mini company first, then they got a better deal from Spinefarm? I didn't even know they'd ever had any deals with NB before the news of them switching to them.

Also, with SW didn't they get a deal from some Belgian mini company first, then they got a better deal from Spinefarm? I didn't even know they'd ever had any deals with NB before the news of them switching to them.

Belgium <3 why did they not stay :erk:

I think Alexi now writes proper tunes in the sense of the word. No more weird song structures and other weird goofy stuff, but symmetrical, tight and well thought proper metal songs with no weak links. How boring would that be if they had made 7 Hatebreeders with the same style of genre, same style of vocals, same style of playing. They would've fallen into mediocrity by now or just flat out quit cause nobody would've been interested anymore. Only ACDC could get away with that stuff.

In my opinion RRF was quite predictable, and what bugged me probably most was the solos, most of them were just plain boring and have no relationship with other melodies of the song or just felt out of place, you just know there's solos around the 3/4 way of the song. My suggestion is solos need interesting background riffs / drums / keyboards, and the solos themselves should somehow relate to the song's theme melody or just feel in place... maybe it's just my taste.

Before, the riffs had an interesting structure or something, now in NMF or Ugly you have riffs everywhere, yet the songs are good, they are just that, good (well NMF is great, but the average of RRF is "good").

Of course is cool, "da riffs ar coool" and shit but the epic combo at Chokehold of keys and guitar beats six feet under the 70% of RRF imo

I try to explain what I mean... See how in this song here the intro melody and the solo at 1:56 - 2:14 gel pretty well, they're not the same notes but they just feel together. I think that's one of the things that made especially the blue and green COB albums good. What is it that makes this solo feel together with the intro or whatever, is it because the background riff and drum pattern is the same? I think it's both the melody and the background.

From RRF I remember NMF guitar solo is quite wacky, SKO guitar solo has a catchy background riff, RtHaB keyboard solo is experimental, Ugly guitar solo is a downgrade of FTR solo... that's all I remember, cos they're not written in this epic way.

I think the solos need epic melodies, but they're also perfect opportunities to cast in some gorgeous riffing like Tie My Rope (3:07...). I really love it when this shit is done the way it should. This TMR solo section doesn't even have that epic melody, it's just a genious riff and beautifully done technical shredding, but even so it's amazing for this type of song. Then when you have a balladic song there's a different background and when you have an aggressive song there's a faster background riff.

Sure the solos in RRF are very technical and some of the riffs quite complex, maybe it's small differences but I personally love it when it's more catchy. Maybe the band's perception of music changes as they get more experienced in the technical side, but I think it should sound interesting and you should be able to memorize the solos so you rhyme and whistle them. I just listened to the solos of RRF and PMS and realized there's no way I'm going to remember let alone whistle this shit. It's what I think makes an epic song, that it's not just technical notes gunfire, but actually something very characteristic that won't stop playing in your head.

I recognize the pros of RRF these days as it's grown distance from the previous album, just personally I'd like the next album to steer away from thrash and go for atmospheric doom metal and industrial influences together with the best elements of old COB. I think this band still has a stone left unturned in industrial metal influences.

I kinda figured this 0:22 / 1:09 / 3:54 part is Hellhounds On My Trail chorus with some different notes and no keyboard.

Compare to 0:30. It could be coincidence... nevertheless, COB has the keyboards on top to make the riff more distinct and dramatic.

Both fucking rock so I don't care. I just wish Blooddrunk had a bit more standing out guitar tone like the other artist.