COB start writing new album

This. We don't need a 5th HCDR in a row, we need something fresh.

It sounds so fucking absurd to me when everyone slants the old COB saying "they can't do the same album all the time" :lol: Something Wild, Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper, those albums were EXTREMELY different. Now they've made the same album four times in a row. Then I get slanted for ""wanting the neo-classical riffs back"" which is equally retarded. Just want them to come up with something fresh. Let's make it clear: I don't need the old sound back, we can't have the old vocals back, I don't want neo-classical back, I just want COB to compose something fresh, satanic and atmospheric, instead of this thrashy metal with melodies that's got black humour written all over it.

This is not whining, it's more like I'm trying to present golden ideas and shouting TAKE IT!
I can't agree more on this one. I passed on RRF, and I'll most likely pass on the new shit. Overall I lost hope, but if they want to keep going they should do something about it and take their time to figure out something cool instead of making albums for just few months and rushing them out. It doesn't work this way. And sorry if it will offend many people, but it's full of COB cocksucker who will buy anything that has "COB" on it. Shit happens because of people like those. Hell, if you keep buying even the worst shit they make, then they will keep making more of it.

I can't agree more on this one. I passed on RRF, and I'll most likely pass on the new shit. Overall I lost hope, but if they want to keep going they should do something about it and take their time to figure out something cool instead of making albums for just few months and rushing them out. It doesn't work this way. And sorry if it will offend many people, but it's full of COB cocksucker who will buy anything that has "COB" on it. Shit happens because of people like those. Hell, if you keep buying even the worst shit they make, then they will keep making more of it.

I lost hope too when WIWI came out, it was the nail to the coffin. I've written more than a lord of the rings on this forum within the years and certainly I too will use this energy to other things unless Alexi comes public with enthusiasm about wanting to make something different and put heart into it. When they made RRF, it seemed to the outside there was zero motivation... ain't gonna have that again. It's my bottom line that relying on technical experience and American sound producer does not quarantee an epic album, a good one maybe with occasional moments, but no cult CD.

Well you guitar wanking son of a bitch pussy I've got news for you: art reguires vision and emotion. I'm not interested in what you think about my opinions.

:lol:

I dont want to take the piss out of you, but dude. seriously. You are acting like your opinion is an objective truth. And this is bullshit.

I fully agree with Joonas. It's hard to put into words what the first 3 albums had that was so special, but I think it's like each track is almost a journey, each section an interesting part in a cohesive whole. Making their tracks more thrashy or perhaps more rhythmically complex is not the way to move forward, as the beauty lies in the simpler yet more melodic older style, backed up by great keyboard parts (also lacking in newer albums). I for one would like to see more of a dark feeling in the new album, not this "I'm such a badass, I'll write my lyrics about how I get drunk and do stupid things" sort of mentality that I believe is currently plaguing the band. Maybe Alexi needs to explore different themes in his lyrics, and the power of those themes would come through in his music. I believe that's sort of what happened with the earlier albums. I miss the feeling of never wanting a song to end, because it just moves you so much, almost entrances you. At least that's what I think.

I fully agree with Joonas. It's hard to put into words what the first 3 albums had that was so special, but I think it's like each track is almost a journey, each section an interesting part in a cohesive whole. Making their tracks more thrashy or perhaps more rhythmically complex is not the way to move forward, as the beauty lies in the simpler yet more melodic older style, backed up by great keyboard parts (also lacking in newer albums). I for one would like to see more of a dark feeling in the new album, not this "I'm such a badass, I'll write my lyrics about how I get drunk and do stupid things" sort of mentality that I believe is currently plaguing the band. Maybe Alexi needs to explore different themes in his lyrics, and the power of those themes would come through in his music. I believe that's sort of what happened with the earlier albums. I miss the feeling of never wanting a song to end, because it just moves you so much, almost entrances you. At least that's what I think.

You got it and summarize pretty well my thoughts on the music. Definitely it would be interesting to see more dark feel and mythical feel in the music.

The lyrics indeed reflect the overall style of each album, but I'll compare RRF to the old albums, I'd use the last song of each album but since NPTD lyrics were not published (cos they were so shit) I'll use CotN:

RRF - Cry of the Nihilst :

Don't care have faith or mindset
Plunder and pillage yet
Complain whine and cry like a baby
Ain't so tough after all
U claim that u don't believe in nothing
Goddamn that must be exhausting
I know, you know this is getting
Boring, a lil dull, don't u think?

And no to mention-hatred, loath and revulsion
You just throw around, like it's no even there

Embracing dissolution
Is that who
I have become
Over the years?

Aversion to entity and
Life in this world
Broken you up in tears

When the nite comes,
When the sunlite dies

That's what it sound like
When a nihilist cries

So it finally all got
Back to me

A real reactionary, is what
You'd like to be

Is that really EVOLUTION from this kind of lyrics:

FTR - Kissing the Shadows :

High above your shadow smiles at me
Way down below I hear your serenely breathe

I`m running after you throughout
the valleys of tormented souls,
don`t you be afraid of me only kissing your shadow...
You`re so far away, I can feel your scent,
when I caress your shadow,
and if you truly want I`ll cross the line, I`ll follow

I`m dreaming my way out from down below
To get wherever you haunting from, I`ll go...

I`m kissing the shadows you surround me with,
to feel my pain vanishing away from me
Your touching the shadows I`m surrounding you with,
so together in peace we shall be

HB - Downfall :

The night of timeless fire is drawing near
I flee... Throughout the years of throe
Watching through a mirror, as I fall apart
I see a wreck, I'm burning

I see angels burning, falling down in ruins
Looking down I see me, I'm my own enemy

Watching myself decaying, falling from high spirits
I flee... Throughout the ruins of me
Longing for finding my way out
Leaving myself, there's nothing left for me
The ruins are about to crumble down.

The flame is dying by shivery winds of jet black skies
It reflects hatred in my eyes

I see angels burning, falling down in ruins
Looking down I see my ashes scattered around my grave

Angels whispering fire, no longer I'm alive
Settled down I'm done with the trip to my kingdom come

I think the difference is clear as daylight, but I can still predict a couple Germans replying "wtf, angels, shadows, that's gay dude."

I get these flashbacks from summer 2001 when reading the KTS lyrics, the bunch of us 15 year olds at the summer house getting drunk after sunset at the lakeside. There's still dried beer or wine that was spilt on the CD case and booklet by someone when I read those lyrics. Those nights all the troubles faded away thanks to the power of this mysterious dark music, the beer and partying. Needless to say the new shit just isn't the same, no matter how technically advanced rhythm sections there is.

You got it and summarize pretty well my thoughts on the music. Definitely it would be interesting to see more dark feel and mythical feel in the music.

The lyrics indeed reflect the overall style of each album, but I'll compare RRF to the old albums, I'd use the last song of each album but since NPTD lyrics were not published (cos they were so shit) I'll use CotN:
Wow, when you lay the lyrics side by side like that it's stunning how different they really are. The KTS and Downfall lyrics are more like a story, a twisted and dark fantasy, while still being introspective. Of course my primary concern is the actual music, but having interesting lyrics certainly helps complete the overall atmosphere of the music.

I also liked how you used the album color for each lyric, very nice.

As far as people saying "wtf, angels, shadows, that's gay dude." I think they will never really try to understand...

True, true. I dream of Alexi reading thru all this stuff and realizing the possibilities and the excitement that he actually has this golden opportunity to make art like this. But instead of that I think all that will happen is he'll mash up riffs together again behind the scenes to make another album and then throw in some "lyrics" at the last moment. RRF is living proof he's forgotten he can actually make an album that's like an epic journey into the mysterious twisted dark of human mind, not just a collection of more thrash riffs.

Something Alexi could do in a few minutes is contact his ex wife or someone to start planning on some dark and mysterious lyrics, contact the artist behind the original cover arts to make another one, then contact some "outsider" with artistic vision on the musical style, tell them all we're gonna resurrect the old magic of COB. If riffs are the sole foundation of the art, it kills other creativity possibilities which kills overall inspiration. This is just how I see it, maybe someone else actually thinks on the contrary, or that the new material is better in every aspect.

No they have just a different taste in lyrics and a different opinion on their musical change. Don't start like Brutal Hate.

*shitjump*

True, true. I dream of Alexi reading thru all this stuff and realizing the possibilities and the excitement that he actually has this golden opportunity to make art like this. But instead of that I think all that will happen is he'll mash up riffs together again behind the scenes to make another album and then throw in some "lyrics" at the last moment. RRF is living proof he's forgotten he can actually make an album that's like an epic journey into the mysterious twisted dark of human mind, not just a collection of more thrash riffs.
I don't know why he doesn't! I mean, if I were in a successful band that started out very strong but knew their recent albums were sub-par, I'd be looking at what the fans want for the new album. Especially the fans who have clearly articulated what it is they like or dislike. What Alexi really needs is some of that old fire and excitement for the music, that desire to create something really special. I honestly don't know how they can be proud of their new material (bold statement, I know), but I feel like Alexi himself must realize that they are now just a shadow of their old selves.

Another point I wanted to bring up is that I feel like a lot of the new material is based on improvisation, sort of just screwing around to find out new riffs. I feel like in SW/HB/FtR Alexi did a lot more actual "composing" (in his head) before putting the riffs to guitar, rather than just improvising until something passable came out. I think that is what accounts for the older songs being more "complete" in terms of being a cohesive song, where everything works together. The improvisational approach, while not without merit, tends to produce riffs and structures that are maybe a little more detached. Do you get what I'm thinking here?

Yeah, like last time he expressed his horror in the situation where all he had was a blank white table with nothing on it. I'm sure he was overly stressed and in a composer's block, so it was easy again to resort to the heavy riffing and basic ideas to get this album done in time. He should relax and spend time with himself to find the inner joy to create something spectacular, so that he's teeming with exciting creative ideas already before he manages to grab the guitar. Then connect other people to help with lyrics, artwork and style idea. I'm sure it could awaken the fire in him again. It's like he's sealed away his deep thinking mindset to get rid of the depression that plagued him for years, but at the same time he's sealed away that inner voice.

Shit, you really care about lyrics in a COB song?!? :lol:

I'll quit here. I thought this is a heavy metal forum... No wonder why nobody wants to join here and why most of the regulars are gone. When possible new members read what was written here, they must think we'Re all emo^^

I'll quit here. I thought this is a heavy metal forum... No wonder why nobody wants to join here and why most of the regulars are gone. When possible new members read what was written here, they must think we'Re all emo^^

:lol: Of course all songs are better when the lyrics have sense, but when it comes to COB- well 95% of their fans listen to them because of the riffs and solos :lol:

I don't care so much about the lyrics- in fact, even Aleksi doesn't :D IDK if an interviewer have ever asked him question like "With what do you want people to remember you?", but the answer is obvious- GUITAR PLAYING.
So the lyrics are not the most important part of Bodom.

Not really, but I care about how good they are, cos it always tells about the dedication put into the song as whole. But before I care about lyrics, they should first fix the vocals. I don't know about you but I really dig some of the old vocals. The new style vocals are just shit, so why write good lyrics? I think Alexi should do vocals like Warheart / SNBN / Bed Of Razors, and ETID style vocals. Instead of going too fast, make slower vocals and put more effort into them.

Not really, but I care about how good they are, cos it always tells about the dedication put into the song as whole. But before I care about lyrics, they should first fix the vocals. I don't know about you but I really dig some of the old vocals. The new style vocals are just shit, so why write good lyrics? I think Alexi should do vocals like Warheart / SNBN / Bed Of Razors, and ETID style vocals. Instead of going too fast, make slower vocals and put more effort into them.

We both got your idea about COB, but have you ever wandered what is this band to Alexi? Probably something way different than we think and even more important than we can imagine? Think about it :)

We both got your idea about COB, but have you ever wandered what is this band to Alexi? Probably something way different than we think and even more important than we can imagine? Think about it :)

That's a beautiful way of thinking, but the reality is, sometimes shit just happens in life and there's nothing good about it no matter how hard you try to look for a magical meaning, also sometimes people just perform better sometimes worse, especially when it comes to art. Everything is as it should be: an artist's technical capability (rhythms etc) has grown more advanced, but the originality and passion diminished.

Neither vocals nor lyrics and especially not the melodies are going to be like you guys want them to be, merely because of the fact that Alexi writes what he wants and feels, not what the fans want or feel. Why should he try (and it would be no more than just a try) to write songs which create that certain atmosphere and feelings you miss, Joonas, if it wouldn't come out of his own heart and if he doesn't feel to write something like that... that'd just be what I'd call a sellout in the end. Music as I want it to be is first of all an expression of the musician/composer himself. The composers' personality and feelings change and so does his music. Everything else comes later, including the "like/dislike"-part (which we cannot affect anyway, either you like/accept it or you don't). Also, the amount of time he's putting into the writing process will probably change the quality of the overall song, but wouldn't be able to change what kind of music he feels and writes.
Don't get me wrong, your arguments have a very reasonable base, but our conclusions are different ;)

^

This. But Joonas wont accept that. you see two years ago somebody said this:

Yeah man, like I said I don´t like the way you post shit here and make it sound like it´s a fact when actually it is just your opinion on something.

and he stills thinks that COB HAS to make the he likes to be "objectively better"

Neither vocals nor lyrics and especially not the melodies are going to be like you guys want them to be, merely because of the fact that Alexi writes what he wants and feels, not what the fans want or feel. Why should he try (and it would be no more than just a try) to write songs which create that certain atmosphere and feelings you miss, Joonas, if it wouldn't come out of his own heart and if he doesn't feel to write something like that... that'd just be what I'd call a sellout in the end. Music as I want it to be is first of all an expression of the musician/composer himself. The composers' personality and feelings change and so does his music. Everything else comes later, including the "like/dislike"-part (which we cannot affect anyway, either you like/accept it or you don't). Also, the amount of time he's putting into the writing process will probably change the quality of the overall song, but wouldn't be able to change what kind of music he feels and writes.
Don't get me wrong, your arguments have a very reasonable base, but our conclusions are different ;)

Perfect!! How the hell can Laiho write music/ lyrics for something like FTR when this is just so far away from him? It would be fake as hell! He needs to express his feelings and emotions in the best way for him, not for the fans :)

COB is his band, not ours. As you can see even Janne stopped writing here- probably he's sick and tired of us writing about this new/old COB over and over again.

However, I think that Janne is wrong with this post about Joonas- this is a forum so people can tell what they think and feel about the certain band, in this case- Bodom. A forum is about trolling, having fun and more trolling so what's his problem?

There are some thing in the band that are happening without the fans knowledge and this can affect their music in some way, too. No matter how hard we argue we will never understand the real meaning behind the songs- probably they have more sense then we can understand.

acutally he said in his post that he likes to hear opinions i just left that part out :p But that is exactly what his post is all about. posting opinions is cool and all ,stating that something is a fact when its just your personal feeling about it is bullshit