COB start writing new album

I state as "fact" things like the newer albums have worse vocals and are less atmospheric, I just see it as fact, so it's hard to say it as "opinion", but yeah, Janne did say he's interested in my opinion, and I sure as hell am disappointed if they're not reading the golden messages I have to say here. It's mostly really from the bottom of my heart just trying to help them to figure some interesting things, but I'm so anxious about it I may sometimes even say mean things, but I just like to be straight. I'm not saying I'm better than them, I just believe I'm a creative guy and like to give my thoughts from a fan's perspective. Then again it's not my baby... I would probably not reply either if someone was criticizing my art and telling me what to do, but if he had good ideas I'd read it.

I wish I had the necessary equipment to make a sample of the COB soundworld I'd like, and make a coverart I'd like, song titles and lyrics I'd like (that I could do), so I could shut up and actually show what I mean instead of talking. All I have is a guitar and a keyboard and an expired trial of photoshop.

Neither vocals nor lyrics and especially not the melodies are going to be like you guys want them to be, merely because of the fact that Alexi writes what he wants and feels, not what the fans want or feel. Why should he try (and it would be no more than just a try) to write songs which create that certain atmosphere and feelings you miss, Joonas, if it wouldn't come out of his own heart and if he doesn't feel to write something like that... that'd just be what I'd call a sellout in the end. Music as I want it to be is first of all an expression of the musician/composer himself. The composers' personality and feelings change and so does his music. Everything else comes later, including the "like/dislike"-part (which we cannot affect anyway, either you like/accept it or you don't). Also, the amount of time he's putting into the writing process will probably change the quality of the overall song, but wouldn't be able to change what kind of music he feels and writes.
Don't get me wrong, your arguments have a very reasonable base, but our conclusions are different ;)
I'd much rather Alexi "sellout" by returning to his musical roots than to hear another Blooddrunk or RRF, which are the real sellouts if you ask me. It feels to me like he is now just going through the motions, pumping out an album because that's what he's expected to do. There are still hints of his true abilities in RRF (SKO chorus) but overall it feels like a forced and somewhat fake effort. Blooddrunk of course was even worse, I'd like to think that album was never made.

As for his voice, I'm pretty sure it's shot by now from all his drinking and smoking.

I actually had a dream the night before, COB had taken an outsider to sing for the band :D while Alexi concentrated on guitar. If they could find someone who could do the awesome Hatebreeder'ish vocals, I wouldn't mind... yet, I've never heard anyone do them as good, only Chuck Schuldiner. But this is just pointless off-topic. Alexi singing and playing and composing is an essential part of COB's charm.

After reading all the thread, yeah, great to know Alexi is already writing new songs or just putting some ideas on the paper and then became something after or so. I think its too early for a new album, RRF is still fresh and they can certainly work on it untill the end of the year. At the other hand, of course, I got excited and wanna hear the final result of those new stuffs.

Let's wait.

I actually had a dream the night before, COB had taken an outsider to sing for the band :D while Alexi concentrated on guitar. If they could find someone who could do the awesome Hatebreeder'ish vocals, I wouldn't mind... yet, I've never heard anyone do them as good, only Chuck Schuldiner. But this is just pointless off-topic. Alexi singing and playing and composing is an essential part of COB's charm.
Pointless off-topic it may be, but one can dream... I imagine Alexi would really improve his guitar chops without having to focus on vocals, which are really bad live for him. We might also get a lot more fast licks/vocal combos (KTS chorus). * Sigh * :cry:

OMG there's so much I want to reply to but I'm just going to contain myself because the last thing this forum needs is the same old bullshit!

Pointless off-topic it may be, but one can dream... I imagine Alexi would really improve his guitar chops without having to focus on vocals, which are really bad live for him. We might also get a lot more fast licks/vocal combos (KTS chorus). * Sigh *

Well as far as writing goes, I don't think Alexi worries about vocals at all until he's already written all of the parts. I'm pretty sure that's right, and if that's so a singer wouldn't help much with the writing process. Furthermore, people here seem to believe that Alexi getting more technical further pushed them away from the sound of FTR so if he wanted to write some crazy licks because he didn't have to sing over them they probably wouldn't come out the way you think.

Exactly, the real fans will respect anything ! Im one of those, and I love their evolvement and think things are still good. As long as the guys are having fun in what they are doing, it will be ok and shine through \m/ :kickass:

What the fuck are you talking about? The American industry needs Blooddrunk revisited? New Needled 24/7? Hellhounds On My Trail made Americans fans? You're out of your damn mind bro, get a cold shover. The last thing COB needs to do is further Americanize their music because their American fans are skateboard kids who listen to Korn. You want COB to make yet another Blooddrunk cos it sold well in States? If that's what you base your wishes on you should listen to Bieber.

I believe it is a perfect time to get a new album out especially on the American market (honestly, it's a bit dry right now right?). Let's face it: RRF is not that well rounded of an album, and the singles are a fair measure shy of chart success. I have no idea why you are all talking so much about FTR and all that. Blooddrunk was the greatest commercial success here in America, and it follows logically (hell, even fucking Nikki Sixx says so) that Children of Bodom needs another single like Needled 24/7 to hit big in the US. And time is running out.
This whole post is just awful. I don't even... :puke:

I didn't get one thing about that post.. you're comparing CoB to Nickelback, Slipknot, System of a Down and Linkin Park and see that back then they weren't as high in the charts? Well, no shit, cob's music isn't(/wasn't) as maisntream as the main stream nu/rock metal. There is a reason why European bands tend to have a hard time to get fame in the US. Generally speaking.

If you have great publicity in US, you should realize something's wrong and change your shit... However, I think that post was trolling.

Well, if they aren't trying to make American chart success why are they touring like fucking bats out of hell? The only reasons I know for their current behavior is 1. dreams of being a multi-millionaire triple platinum act or 2. marital strife.

So if Children of Bodom is really as cool and underground as you all insist, it logically follows that Kim Goss and Alexi Laiho are approaching divorce. Fuck, they're already separated right? I bet she doesn't even put out. Or maybe it is a fight about drug use. I believe it is both: that Kim Goss refuses to have sex with Alexi and she refuses to do drugs with Alexi.

The last paragraph deserves a huge sign, called OFF- TOPIC :Spam:

First of all, Alexi and Kimberly "departed" around 2003 I think, so your idea is kinda out of date. Who knows what effect girlfriends have in music, but I think Alexi is old and experienced enough to not let an affair mess his shit. Then again, RRF is more tame and Slayer'ish and his girlfriend just happens to be Slayer's manager, so who knows what influence people have on your head, but this is silly to speculate, bad is bad and good is good.

This is good

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eD9N_NRRbg&feature=related[/ame]

This is bad

Last edited by a moderator: