COB start writing new album

So if they record rhythm and bass before lead guitars you can assume they set more priority to heavy riffing than melodic leads?

metham2013_zps1b94b625.jpg

So if they record rhythm and bass before lead guitars you can assume they set more priority to heavy riffing than melodic leads?

Why?!? It doesn't matter when they record what. And you have to think about what would be easier. When you first record your leads, you have to play either over the drum track or a simple metronom. But when you have your rythm guitars recorded, it's mostly easier to nail a solo because most solos are based on the rythm guitar chords and not the other way. Many guitarist - myself included - record the lead parts over the rythm guitars but with a metronom behind to stay better in rythm.
But see for yourself: Here you see Alexi recording his leads over a rythm guitar track

Btw... Can anybody tell me what they're talking about when he records the sweep-tapping thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
He also said the same thing about BD and I swear he titled AYDY heavy as fuck as well. But he was right with every three of them. Nobody can deny that they aren't heavy.

I meant in terms of choosing the sound, but does it really make a difference cos they have the songs ready before entering studio anyway...

I think it would be somehow unprofessional or slightly immature to release song titles before the guitars of the songs are recorded, I think that's where the line is.

Alexi being psyched and the music being heavy as shit is interesting, also the description "dark", as RRF wasn't dark. Still, Alexi said RRF is very Satanic which still bugs me. I trust Jaska too, tho. Then again, how do we know how RRF was meant to sound, before Mr. Hyde changed the sound...

AYDY is their heaviest recording, but Blooddrunk is faster and darker.

no. it's just more fun to play over a complete backing track, or to add your fine melodies to a solid fundament. You don't paint a house before its even built, right?

I know it's stupid, but besides the COBTV, I hope Alexi remembers to include two Bodom related titles and "restores the balance of the force" :lol:

Looks like Petrax, from Jaska's most recent photo

I'd think so, but for once....

Feels so weird COB is in studio again recording a new album, cos there's been minimal talk about it.

...see? I can agree with you sometimes. They've indeed been secretive as fuck, we don't even know where they're recording and if they're going to have a producer or not.

For RRF they had an amazing intro track but they didn't include it. I think it would have set unrealistic expectations for the songs. Also it's not COB's style to release tracks that are not actual songs. I wouldn't mind an intro if the album is legendary, but I suppose this album will be the closest to Blooddrunk, cos that's where they left off before hiring a producer that manipulated their sound.

Wasn't the intro originally suposed to be part of NMF but then cut out because it was too long and they didn't want to start the album with over a minute of intro? I think I remember them saying something on that lines. And if I'm not mistaken it was indeed recorded and it's the intro they use before NMF when they open the gigs with it.

No honestly, if this one blows too, I'll give up.

Don't write checks that you can't cash :lol:

Drums is always first, and usually it goes bass->rythm guitar->keys->melodies/leads-vocals->backing vocals. But bass can come almost last (like iirc it did in either BD or RRF) or keys straight after drums or whatever. But very rarely do melodies come before rythm guitars, which leads me to...

Ok. I hope he composes the leads before the rhythms at least, but lately I'm not so sure.

...it may happen in 5% of the cases tops, but most of the time it's either all together or just the vibe. Before he may have used to do that (if you look behind it the backing to many leads in the earlier albums are just long powerchords/simple chord riffing, which does come after writing the melody, but lately he actually writes riffs that can stand by themselves and I guess melodies come later, because to back up a melody with a complex riff is much harder than to have the riff first and then see what fits and inspires you, at least that's how I see it.

Yeah, the thing is he writes a lot of rhythm-like riffing or whatever the fuck (like the Blooddrunk verses etc) these times for two guitars that work together simultaneously... I'd rather have more of the two melodies / harmony... but all depends on what sounds good, even if Bodom made Marilyn Manson like music I wouldn't mind as long as it sounded good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j723qPG-qhA

Btw... Can anybody tell me what they're talking about when he records the sweep-tapping thing?

0.32 - 1.07

Both: Heheheh.
Alexi: Lets listen to it... (Listens to it) Lets take it again. It's just only... randomizing (Is that a real word?)
Studio: Was it bad?
Alexi: Tapping could have been better...(Plays it) Well, I don't know. Lets try it.
Studio: Yeah. Only tapping?
Alexi: No, lets take the whole thing.

0.32 - 1.07

Both: Heheheh.
Alexi: Lets listen to it... (Listens to it) Lets take it again. It's just only... randomizing (Is that a real word?)
Studio: Was it bad?
Alexi: Tapping could have been better...(Plays it) Well, I don't know. Lets try it.
Studio: Yeah. Only tapping?
Alexi: No, lets take the whole thing.

Thx!

I have to say the vocals (and lyrics) in RRF are incredibly annoying, immature... I hope Alexi improves on the them. He can/could be very good with them, but when the COB vocals are annoying I can tell why people steer the hell away from this music. It's frustrating really. An annoying vocal part can ruin a song that would otherwise be a masterpiece. For example Hatebreeder and AYDY as songs are epic and have epic vocals, but are ruined by certain vocal parts that just sound plain horrible. Vocals are the easiest way for COB to make a huge difference whether for good or bad. They must find the best-sounding ways for Alexi to use his current vocal chords. I'd suggest making less lyrics for vocals, and making them both great.

Dude...why the Hell im everytime reading your name? Im sure if any COB Member would read your shit, you wont live anymore...

Come on, stop posting every damn shit in every Thread. You are NOT COB, and they dont care about your opinion as any other User on this Forum here!

Vittu...