COB start writing new album

Some old school CoB, album out in May, Blast beats, groovy.. not bad. Not bad at all.

As for
H: Will the new album have the typical 9 songs?
J: I can't answer
That probably means no. Or at least they written more (or less) songs and they yet have to decide which ones are good enough for the album.

Ever vague Alexi Laiho. Some things he says should give Joonas a hard on but some other things are going to keep him awake at night.

Come on COBTV!

Henkka's Mobile Backstage interview with Jaska, posted 4 January 2013

H: How has your drumming style changed through the years, from Something Wild?
J: Maybe it makes more sense.

H: What do you think about other Finnis bands?
J: Good quality

I lol'd :D

H: Is the new album more like the recent stuff, like Relentless, or more like classical elements, like Hatebreeder?
J: No and yes. There is some old-school COB ...

H: Will there be a Bodom-story song?
J: I think we discussed about that, and I guess there might be one.

I cant wait, this will be epic. We need a studio vlog.

I get the picture so far they've headed back to the old-schoolish Bodom feeling, but it's straightforward and dark, and still the heavy soundworld etc of the new material. He says the songs are "nice". Don't know what to think really. I hope the speed of this album won't be indicated by flat drumming patterns but rather genious leads etc. Somehow I think I know exactly how this album is gonna sound. I'm thinking something like Blooddrunk but sharper. I hope there is more than one good song.

I'm experienced enough, tho, not to trust or give a fuck what the band says at this point. Still it would be interesting to read some exciting news bits. It's actually been more entertaining somehow than the actual releases of the last albums... because the hyping words make you create your own perfect vision of the album. It's quite interesting as there's not much said. Would be interesting to get something really surprising... For me it's just a little worrying, to be honest, when a band doesn't talk about their new album willingly. I'd love to hear something exciting.

However, after WIWI was dubbed the greatest hit of the band, and RRF very Satanic, I guess they'll be more careful this time and just let the music do the talking.

Well the last album was a quite big fail that song is so bad I really don't like it, shovel knockout was way better + I think the "hype manager" or what is that called really fucked-up everything.

Ever vague Alexi Laiho. Some things he says should give Joonas a hard on but some other things are going to keep him awake at night.

Come on COBTV!

This was Jaska anwering fans' questions, not Alexi; his interview is yet to come (but I'm sure, as you say, he'll be giving very little away, as usual).

They're not yet in the phase when the label allows them to reveal anything about the album, except words to describe the sound. And describing their own new music has always been challenging for COB, as they're "too close to their material", their attempts were even slightly delusive the last time out. And it seems they always throw in this "omg there's old-school COB" card on the table because it's a quaranteed thriller.

To me personally it does not look promising, because there's been quite minimal enthusiasm (on the internet). The intuitive feeling I have is they're so pissed off about the new material they don't even want to be around when somebody asks about it. Then there's this hope and faith I have in Jaska's words and the way he describes the new music makes me pumped up and ready to open up my heart for another disappointment. :lol: Of course it might be I shouldn't post this and they'll come up with a fantastic album... But I'm not expecting them to write their best album, so maybe I'll be more positively surprised than the band itself if it only turns out to be their third best album.

Based on what I've read so far, of course it sounds quite promising... dark, old-schoolish Bodom... 'heavy' is great of course, as long as it's not an alternative to good composing... But the "black metal" influences make me think of these bands that sound dark, but their music is all about a sterile boring flat drum pattern with a sterile boring riff and constant screaming. Too many of those bands have that occasional atmospheric momentum buried under the frustrating noise of unoriginal drumming/riffing/screaming, it's like two completely different frequencies of mind.

If they didn't like the new songs they wouldn't release an album. The question is how other people receive the songs.

Some quite interesting questions asked there. How Jaska describes the album sounds good, but of course it doesn't really give anything away.

Honestly it just sounds like they're saying what they need to say in order to hype all types of fans for the album.

Why do we talk about "them" liking or not liking the new material? It's supposed to be 95% Alexi's vision. How many people have the same taste in music? Even fans of melodic metal rip each others organs out discussing whether Bodom is the best ever or the gayest shit ever, or any other such band. What likeliness is there for all the five members of the band to think the same of the new material? Very minimal. If they all like it, that means they all had their own input on it, which would quarantee the album to suck. As long as Alexi adores it to death, is all that matters.

I realize it's easy for Alexi to write this kind of songs, but it's very very difficult even for him to give the songs that final edge of artistic vision to make them epic. So I figure he must stay true to himself and write whatever is pure to him. If he attempted to write something like the old COB, it may not be spontaneous so it could be hard to make it sound very good.

It's funny how everytime a new album is out they talk dispisingly about the "old-school neo-classical wankery COB", refusing to admit there was something special about it too. Then when a new album is in production, they suddenly talk sweetly about it having elements of the old COB, yet no neo-classical wankery... I suppose it's like every single melody is supposed to be old COB and every single riff is supposed to be new COB. :p

Henkka's update today re interview with Alexi on Mobile Backstage:

"Due to so many questions, we had to do Alexi's interview in two parts. First part is soon here. Second one coming next week!"

Roope says in his video 29 days ago they have 9 songs, or "we're working on our 9th song". I really don't care whether it's 7 or 11 songs as long as they're damn good.

Why do we talk about "them" liking or not liking the new material? It's supposed to be 95% Alexi's vision. How many people have the same taste in music? Even fans of melodic metal rip each others organs out discussing whether Bodom is the best ever or the gayest shit ever, or any other such band. What likeliness is there for all the five members of the band to think the same of the new material? Very minimal. If they all like it, that means they all had their own input on it, which would quarantee the album to suck. As long as Alexi adores it to death, is all that matters.

I realize it's easy for Alexi to write this kind of songs, but it's very very difficult even for him to give the songs that final edge of artistic vision to make them epic. So I figure he must stay true to himself and write whatever is pure to him. If he attempted to write something like the old COB, it may not be spontaneous so it could be hard to make it sound very good.

It's funny how everytime a new album is out they talk dispisingly about the "old-school neo-classical wankery COB", refusing to admit there was something special about it too. Then when a new album is in production, they suddenly talk sweetly about it having elements of the old COB, yet no neo-classical wankery... I suppose it's like every single melody is supposed to be old COB and every single riff is supposed to be new COB. :p

Why would each member having an input into the album guarantee it would suck? Roope is one of Alexi's guitar heroes. I'm sure whatever input he were to put into the album wouldn't cause it to suck. From what I know Alexi does the majority of the songwriting and seems to prefer the later COB albums over the earlier ones, so I think you're wrong in saying that lack of band input and Alexi adoring it to death = a good album, as this seems to have been the writing/rerecording process the past few albums. I don't think he is being pressured by anyone to take any particular musical route, he just writes the sort of music he enjoys and wants to play.

Why would each member having an input into the album guarantee it would suck?

The most delicate art is a vision of one man. You make someone mess with it and result is screwed. Of course there are some things the other band members could and should do, but not touch the actual songwriting.

Roope is one of Alexi's guitar heroes. I'm sure whatever input he were to put into the album wouldn't cause it to suck.

Roope's musical writing has always been boring, Stone is shit and I'm pretty sure the best Sinergy tracks were made by Alexi, Roope's solos for COB are also boring. There are lots of great guitarists out there who can't really compose interesting melodies etc... Just because Roope was Alexi's hero doesn't mean his songwriting for COB wouldn't suck. COB releases good music because Alexi's a good songwriter.

I don't think he is being pressured by anyone to take any particular musical route, he just writes the sort of music he enjoys and wants to play.

Everything's not always as it seems, but let's wait and see what we find out this spring.

The most delicate art is a vision of one man. You make someone mess with it and result is screwed. Of course there are some things the other band members could and should do, but not touch the actual songwriting.

Dude, after all, they're in a BAND, it's not Alexi's solo project. But now he does write basically all of the songs byhimself but still, of course the other members can come with opinions, inputs on how the songs should sound, maybe it alters the sound of a song? Who care's, it's obviously a band decision then meaning Alexi has agreed it sounded better.