COB start writing new album

Not gonna lie, but this new shit sounds killer. Though they only showed us two riffs, and part of that cover, I sorta get what the boys mean when they describe some of the stuff on this upcoming release as between the 2nd and 3rd (or even 3rd and 4th) albums. Still haven't heard enough to really have a concrete opinion. But I'm definitely pretty stoked :D

Well, singing is actually meant to sound good in music, even in death metal... and it can sound better in death metal than any other type of music...

Well, then I don't know waht you like in songs like Warheart. For me Alexis voice in Warheart and in mostly every song on Hatebreeder sound like frog squawking. If I would do a cover of any Hatebreeder and just sing wah wah wah wah wah wah, it wouldn't make such a difference ^^

Well, then I don't know waht you like in songs like Warheart. For me Alexis voice in Warheart and in mostly every song on Hatebreeder sound like frog squawking. If I would do a cover of any Hatebreeder and just sing wah wah wah wah wah wah, it wouldn't make such a difference ^^

Get off the high horse, the HB vocals are good.

The better vocals on Hatebreeder are some of the best in death metal ever. You know, I've heard a lot of arrogancy regarding the vocals, yet I've never heard any fan do better. You don't recognize true art here.

The better vocals on Hatebreeder are some of the best in death metal ever. You know, I've heard a lot of arrogancy regarding the vocals, yet I've never heard any fan do better. You don't recognize true art here.

Actually those vocals on HB are black metal vocals. But I totally get your point about the epic HB vocals. Definitely one of my favourites of Alexi's vocals as well.

Some of the HB vocals are good some are not. But I mean, on HB he could've almost skipped writing any lyrics cause he's not articulating any words for shit.
I think the vocals on Black Widow for example is extremely bad, while the ones for Silent Night is really good.

Holy fuck man you must be kidding..."Hatebreeder" is probably my favourite COB album but Alexi's vocals are pretty lol worthy the whole way through. I could name 100 death metal albums with far superior vocals, e.g. "Still Life" by Opeth, "Human" by Death, "Focus" by Cynic. Whenever somebody mentions the positives of that album it is almost always the neo-classical vibe, not the vocals.

on HB he could've almost skipped writing any lyrics cause he's not articulating any words for shit.

I don't think this kind of lyrics are bad at all:

I see angels burning, falling down in ruins
Looking down I see me, I'm my own enemy
Angels whispering fire, no longer I'm alive
Settled down I'm done with the trip to my kingdom come

I'm an outcast on the path of rebound
Everything is frail, I desolate, crush and burn
I have chosen darkness to be my guide
War is in my heart, death is by my side

You're fucking mad if you think these lyrics suck. Sure there's worse lyrics too on this album, but the songs Warheart, Silent Night, Hatebreeder, Bed Of Razors and Downfall really have some great lyrics and yes black metal vocals. Nobody knows the lyrics to Hatebreeder but you can tell they're something great.

Simple comparison (take into account the audio quality)
Warheart live in 2001:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeHOPbBXHas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeHOPbBXHas[/ame]

Warheart live in 2012:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8W_FZZleBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8W_FZZleBU[/ame]

Do with it as you please.

^You can hear what eleven years of singing this kinda music does to your throat. I don't understand how to sing like that, but it sounds like two different styles of metal vocals, like the voice is coming from deeper with the abdominals in the past.

Its the same lol, little difference Alexi had better voice or he was rested before the show.
EDIT: If you do growl/guttural screams it fucks up your throat. Fry vocal screaming not!(thats why alot singer change style) Sadly I experienced it on myself.

For me, lyrics can be a very important part of a song, if they are good. They can raise a song onto a new level and give it a lot of personal meanings. Some songs (mostly non-metal) I like almost exclusively because of the lyrics. But if the lyrics are bad, it's usually pretty easy to ignore them if they don't stand out too much. And with growling vocals can sound good even if the lyrics are bad. When it comes to COB, there are a few lyrics or parts of lyrics that I really like, but most of them I don't listen to very closely since they aren't that good. If the new album had some better lyrics, it would be a nice thing of course but with COB the music is more important. I like Alexi's singing well enough, perhaps it has gone a bit downhill but hopefully he can pull off good singing for the album.

Its the same lol, little difference Alexi had better voice or he was rested before the show.
EDIT: If you do growl/guttural screams it fucks up your throat. Fry vocal screaming not!(thats why alot singer change style) Sadly I experienced it on myself.

Eh, no? Correct growls comes from the diaphragm, and is not supposed to hurt your throat at all. If you're not using your diaphragm for your leverage/power and instead only your throat you're gonna fuck your throat up badly.

Also, lyrics in metal actually tend to be very good from my experience. Without lyrics it would just sound ridiculous with vocals just making sounds and not any words. Children of Bodom's lyrics I sadly don't really care about at all because I don't like them and on the earlier albums you can barely hear what he's saying anyway. But for me as an super In Flames fan, the lyrics from the first couple albums add such depth to the music, easily the best metal lyrics I've ever heard/read. Depends what kind of subjects/themes you like when it comes to the lyrics though. Personally I love lyricists who use a lot of metaphors instead of straight lyrics with only one interpretation.

Ehh I don't wanna argue, but the screaming hurts your body, your throat is supposed to be a wind instrument... And you can see on some bands who used bad techniques now they have a worn-out vocalist. (like the semi-gay bmth)Especially in the recently popular hardcore music(Suicide silence, the devil wears prada etc)

Ok, I gave this whole lyric thing some thought last night while listening to some metal and I retract my last statement about vocals not mattering. But it really just depends for me. Examples.....Cannibal Corpse.....epic vocal style that really adds to the mood of the song. Pantera...same thing. I guess for me the lyrical content is not so much what matters but the way in which it is sung/growled/screamed, which can really add that something extra to a song.

So the vocals DO matter, but as a guitar guy, I guess I am just more interested in the music itself. When I first listen to any song I automatically pay most attention to the guitars and drums, then once I have listened to a song long enough to basically memorize how the music is, then I kind of start to pay attention to the lyrics. Lyrics just aren't the first thing I listen for when listening to any type of metal or heavy music.

Eh, no? Correct growls comes from the diaphragm, and is not supposed to hurt your throat at all. If you're not using your diaphragm for your leverage/power and instead only your throat you're gonna fuck your throat up badly.
Even correct growl is tiring for voice. So technically it shouldn't make any damage at all, but it's easy to injure yourself while practising.
Or when you have to sing while beeing ill.

But perhaps someone would like to have "speaking" voice as Corpsegrinder, who knows...

In my opinion the majority of COBs lyrics are bad, there are much better lyrics in Metal (e.g. Emperor). Allthough I have to say that the improvised lyrics on the first album (or two or three?) are actually better than the newer ones.

On the vocal matter, I like the early vocals a lot more, allthough I wouldn't say that the newer ones are bad, they're just two different styles. His live vocals have gotten a lot deeper than they have been in the early years but they're way more audible.

In general, the lyrics don't really matter to me, they can be a nice addition but, in my opinion, the vocals are way more important - they can ruin a song (Just look at everything Cradle put out after PoEMF) or make it even better. That's why I couldn't listen to a majority of Death Metal bands, this uber evil low pitched growls just don't appeal to me.