COB start writing new album

His live vocals have gotten a lot deeper than they have been in the early years but they're way more audible.

This is waht most of guys don't really understand. Even if Alexi would try to do the same vocal style hid on the earlier albums, he couldn't do it anymore. When he recorded HB he was what? 19 years old? Now his voice is more mature, deeper and clearer. A good example is a friend of mine who's also the guitarist and singer of a local band here. When he started singing, his voice was also really immature and more like an additional instrument because nobody else wanted to be the singer but now he's 31 and over the years his voice is getting deeper and clearer and he can't sing as he sung 10 years ago.
So it's definitely impossible for Alexi to use the same vocal style again he did 10 years ago. So plz - especialy Joonas - try to understand this and don't write stupid comments about Alexis voice now and how it should be again.

Some questions are really stupid, but i like how he answered a "maybe" to playing hatebreeder live again, or even taste of my scythe...

Joonas's questions got answered but not really in depth. He considers atmosphere (although I doubt his definition of atmosphere is the same as Joonas) more important than technicality of songs.

No neoclassical riffs (I actually like this, I think the purely neoclassical shit from the first and second albums were the worst part of the songs).

More melodies.

June.

Joonas's questions got answered but not really in depth. He considers atmosphere (although I doubt his definition of atmosphere is the same as Joonas) more important than technicality of songs.

Yeah. He answers 7 of my questions starting from 2:45 all in a row. I think he wasn't expecting that deep questions, but he still tries to give effort and answer. Basically the only interesting bit of his replies was the "maybe" for having the Lake/Reaper theme back again, it sounded like that's exactly what he's planning.

Anyway, after over 7 years on the forum, 11 gigs, 12 years as a fan, and 7000 posts I finally get Alexi to answer 7 of my questions. Despite the quick nature of the answers I guess I'm relieved now. Maybe it'll still have influence on the new album. :D

Atmospheric as far as what?
Melodies, but also riffing, keyboard backgrounds, composions... how the music makes you visualize certain environments... but that gets way too deep to analyze in a situation like that.

If the music really returns more to the old direction, I really hope the Lake and Reaper thing is back... it would blow my mind.

Alexi likes the energy of the old albums, and the way you can sense the passionate anger in the first two albums. And he's planning on doing some death metalish growling like in FTR (ETID?)

Also, there will be more melodies than there were on RRF. (That was my question, they asked the questions in the order they were given since I sent mine right after Joonas)

Well, RRF has some 11 lead melodies, of which 8½ are guitar melodies, rest keyboard melodies (solos not counted). That's more than on Blooddrunk or AYDY, but it's about so much more than just lead melodies, that determines how juicy the album sounds. The number of melodies isn't that relevant, it's the melodicy of the album and atmosphere, which is not just about lead melodies. All those little melodic thingies here and there are what make the feeling, not just a superficial icecream melody...

Btw, I really like this how the doublebass tidal wave starts off with an orchestral hit and bass, at 0:17 - 0:22 some of the best seconds of music ever ^^ The orchestral hits Bodom use is like a doom bell or lightning or swords clashing together, so much dramatism, takes you "off guard", I really love them and would love to have more in their music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkrSYdvSUnM

What I find awesome in the song AYDY is the way it starts and ends with a fast tempo but the midway is much slower, and it's a creative song. I'd really love COB to experiment with drastic tempo changes...

This kind of creativity and more dynamic possibilities with the soundworld due to the presence of keyboard is what separates Bodom from bands such as...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0krreagQlyE

I hope Bodom make some great doublebass attacks with orchestral hits, and fuel the songs with heroic melodies and all kinds of atmosphere...

Here's an idea for a COB track:

Start with random cool shit, build up to a juicy melodic solo (such as Deadnight Warrior), then launch to a brutal doublebass tidal wave lead by a lightning-like orchestral hit, and lots of growling...

I think an important part of COB's potential lies in the possibilities to create really weird sounds with the keyboard. Then you've got of course a recipe of instruments and vocals that sound awesome together with creative songwriting. Then you've got the possibility to create the most badass and feelingful guitar riffing, which is essential in the trademark Bodom sound...

The way I feel the music is the guitars are a manifestation of the Reaper's unquestionable grim power and the torment and evil nature of the Bodom children, the heroic melodies represent the hopeless yet brave attempts to evade an inevitable death, or the willingness to follow the Reaper in blind faith, or just cutting throats in bloodlust, while the atmospheric keyboards and harmonies are spiritual echoes from the Abyss of the Lake...

...and these are the elements and feelings I hope to sense in the music, not the less interesting vibes, and lately it hasn't been all about the themes I mentioned.

You have some things like Hellhounds On My Trail with great atmosphere everywhere with the vibe of hellhounds chasing you in the forest of Bodom, and the difficulty to escape... A recent example of how it's definitely not just about technicality, there's a vision and feeling, not the most difficult riffing but they're done with such emotion you can feel the flaming black three-headed dogs chasing you through a forest. Atmosphere is all about creating a vision of something. There's both a vision and a feeling associated with it. The feeling originally derives from Alexi's personal experience and inspiration, such as regret and subconscious fear and anxiety, but he expresses it in a symbolic form.

I guess the vision and feeling can vary depending on the listener. I think Follow the Reaper (song) sounds energetic like it's pouring lifeforce all over me, while my brothers thinks it sounds very depressing. I think a lot of the Inearthed melodies in all their beauty sound very depressing (it's possible I'm associating depressing memories to them from the time I listened to them). When I listen to the harmony in Bodom Beach Terror it greatly collides with the lyrics "wash your hands in the lake of your blood just before you die"... The beautiful harmony makes me see a summer garden with apple trees and happiness... maybe it's the mindset of a madman getting his revenge smiling in extacy.

Haven't you said you like or want to have MORE lead melodies? And now you said you want less melodies?

Anyways, a perfect song for me or... let's say if it would be possible in any way I would like to hear a song with the intro of trashed, the verse of NMF, the chorus of SK, the bridge of Trashed, the solo of ETID and the ending of AYDY (since this would be a really fast song, the Ugly solo would better fit).

I see. I think that could even sound groovy as a song, but with all that glued together there would be no unite vision or atmosphere imo. But yes I like when the song stays sexy all the way through, as opposed to some of the newer stuff like Banned from Heaven that's like good sex at times but at times it starts talking about her ex...

I just say I don't really value about the singular icecream melodies as much as a melodic all-around genious feel. Even thrashy parts can add to the atmosphere and serve their role in a melodic song, but only when done right.

Of course it won't fit all together and it's definitely not atmospheric at all but I rather prefer that kind of songs. Except ETID or BFH (which could be a masterpiece if there wasn't that annoying verse and the whole part after the first solo)

3:46 comes the Lake/Reaper question, I think now's around the time they're planning the artwork for the CD, and Alexi's "maybe..." answer seems like he just thought it could be a fitting idea, as the music has changed... but what's with the laughter? There's some hidden message behind the body language and the way he says it, what does it mean... Maybe they just think the person who came up with the question is weird. Well let's see, but if they choose not to have that in their artwork, then they better have some very good other idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ2Uw4sM4zk

To me taste of my scythe only sounds cool for the first minute, after that it sort of starts to become random parts put together.

3:46 comes the Lake/Reaper question, I think now's around the time they're planning the artwork for the CD, and Alexi's "maybe..." answer seems like he just thought it could be a fitting idea, as the music has changed... but what's with the laughter? There's some hidden message behind the body language and the way he says it, what does it mean... Maybe they just think the person who came up with the question is weird. Well let's see, but if they choose not to have that in their artwork, then they better have some very good other idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ2Uw4sM4zk

Jesus, you went on a comment rampage after watching that interview didnt ya? :D I think its 100% that the cover will contain the reaper+lake cuz its was like : "How did he know that? Thats exactly what we are planning."

I think the same. What I do also miss are songs like Northern Comfort (which has atmosphere as fuck) or songs like the older versions of COB and Towards Dead End. Btw. when was the first version of COB and TDE recorded? If it was recorded during the SW time, I wonder how SW turned out so "bad" because those two songs are waaaay better than any song SW.

I think its 100% that the cover will contain the reaper+lake cuz its was like : "How did he know that? Thats exactly what we are planning."

That's what it sounds like...

I think those questions I came up with were so deep and interesting they deserved better answers. But at the end of the day the only thing that matters or ever makes a difference will be this new album.