COB start writing new album

Black? Are you fucking kidding me... BLACK!? That's not blue or green.

Let's be honest, Alexi's been writing the same riff-oriented heavy style since AYDY and we'll get more of the same.

Remember all the great words about RRF, like how WIWI is one of their greatest tracks, and it turned out gay pop

What the band says and what the management says is two different things. I think it's best to wait for Alexi's opinion on new material because he's usually brutally honest. Wasn't there some DVD out there he said he wouldn't buy because it sucked? Don't think he's particularly worried about hyping music with bullshit.

Let's be honest, Alexi's been writing the same riff-oriented heavy style since AYDY and we'll get more of the same.

I think so too, even with RRF they said it's like the best things of old Bodom + best things of new Bodom... which was so not true, it was their most thrashy album.

What the band says and what the management says is two different things. I think it's best to wait for Alexi's opinion on new material because he's usually brutally honest. Wasn't there some DVD out there he said he wouldn't buy because it sucked? Don't think he's particularly worried about hyping music with bullshit.

Yeah I think the band said there's a catchy chorus on it and that's it, the management wanted it as single. However the fact is Alexi and every member of the band always thinks their newest album is their best. Last time they said RRF isn't their fastest or most melodic or most anything, it's just best... I've never seen a band not hype up their newest album or saying they think it's not very good when coming out of studio. They always have the best album they ever made, I think it's in the contract or something. For me personally I would totally dig if bands were honest and said "this time we ain't got the best album we ever made, but it's the most melodic/fast/whatever this time".

I do think the SKO fragments had a strong Hatebreeder vibe, but you can never judge an album by selected samples. It's hard to imagine how it used to sound before the American producer changed it to sound American, but it's clear COB had a darker sound before he came along to change it. I just hope Alexi's pulling off something great this time and making catchy metal guitar stuff... they should hire a producer from an atmospheric black metal or doom metal band this time.

Joonas said:
I think so too, even with RRF they said it's like the best things of old Bodom + best things of new Bodom... which was so not true, it was their most thrashy album.

I think the best songs on RRF are actually a mix of half old and half new. NMF, SKO, and RTH&B all have old school vibes where it matters, like in the solos and chorus. The trash parts are pretty trashy though, but I just happen to really like that mix since I first got into metal through trash bands. Blooddrunk is definitely Bodom's most trashy album by far, though. Blooddrunk is the only really outlying Album that COB has. As a trash album, it's great. But if you listen to it for COB sound you'll have a bad time.

Joonas said:
I just hope Alexi's pulling off something great this time and making catchy metal guitar stuff.

Personally, I feel like RRF shows that Alexi still has what it takes to appeal to hardcore oldschool bodom fans. I think it comes down to how Alexi has evolved his rhythm writing style. As you get better at writing music, you just naturally create more technical riffs. Hatebreeder and FTR have simple rhythm guitar tracks. There's a lot of tremolo picking of single not stuff going on or simple power chord progressions. I guess it's a lot easier to create an atmospheric sound with that, so if Alexi would want to create something atmospheric he'd have to swallow a bit of pride on that writing aspect and just go with the simple but effective route once again.

so if Alexi would want to create something atmospheric he'd have to swallow a bit of pride on that writing aspect and just go with the simple but effective route once again.

Well I think atmosphere and technicality don't rule themselves out... for me let's say Everytime I Die or Warheart are perfectly technical enough... if it was down to that then yes Alexi should swallow up some of his pride cos in the process of showing everyone his technical guitar playing skills he's creating a mess of his art. When you think about rhythms, think about SNBN, that song is incredibly simple on the rhythm side, but it's still the best song ever written by man.

I'm just checking out the new 69 Eyes album and I can hear a familiar melody in this song, it's pretty nice. 0:07, 1:14 and 4:07. (Some nice background too.) The melody notes remind you of Angels Don't Kill. I think the cycle of this band's discography reminds awkwardly of COB's. First a raw sound, then the two cult-creating personal albums, then a stride to a pop'ish direction, then an attempt at American thrash soundworld which reflects in annoying songwriting... and now... Just please make it atmospheric and dark with killer guitar riffs and heroic melodies, like the finest blend of melodic death metal... there's wishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just listened to that 69 Eyes-song. And then I listened ADK. There are some same individual notes but I dont see any similarities in melodies between that song and ADK. Plus 2 totally different type of songs musically. Nice try though.
I think you can find similarities in everything if you just dig them up. Comparing the 69 Eyes and Bodom feels just...wrong. I saw 69 live on Radio Rock-cruise and they did surprise the audience, a bit like COB likes to do sometimes. Encore was The Doors-cover. Talked with the bass player after the gig, he told they were quite nervous how the audience would react.

Well, enough about this. I really don't know what to expect from the new COB-album. Every album has sounded a bit different compared to the previous one, its like the basics are the same but then there's always that little twist. I really liked RRF, more than Blooddrunk. What made RRF so good, imo, was that it was very coherent album. I didnt get the feeling that some song was there just as a filler but all the songs just sounded good. So they nailed it with the composing and deciding the order of the songs. I just wish for a lot of energy and attitude.

^I'm sure the 69 melody notes similarity to ADK is nothing but coincidence, still I thought I'd throw it on the table for spices.

I'd like COB to take the approach for the new album they're going to create an album that spawns an entire cult of its own, that's what great albums do that have distinct personality and originality and megaloads of creative ideas and atmosphere. I know it's not realistic to expect the same band to have another peak moment in the cycle of their discography, but it's not forbidden to hope. I'd like more emphasiz on moody guitar riffs sacrificing techcnicality from the top of priority list. That and an interesting atmospheric soundworld with more melodic orientation. In my opinion this would be better than continuing with the hammering sound and purposeless songs with no feel. It's much more impressive to create easy composions that make you go goosebumps than technically complex composions that have nothing in them. Why does the technicality always have to be pushed further, isn't this supposed to be art first and foremost, and technicality just a close tool in creating the art. If you add 20% technicality to Hatebreeder and take away 80% of feeling I think it's a bad deal. What I can sense in RRF is it's done as job, not as passion, maybe too tight schedules for allowing creativity to sprout. And when you give more freedom to the rest of the band in songwriting, the songs lose their touch. I think Alexi should compose alone in an inspiring environment and listen to atmospheric death metal bands, but maybe he's into something else.

Now here's a bloody brilliant piece of guitar and keyboard music: 0:21 - 0:51, something for Children Of Bodom to get inspired on. (I don't like Wintersun otherwise but this little piece makes me rape the replay button.) This kinda stuff makes me wonder why the won't COB use the keyboard backgrounds more. It creates instant atmosphere when done correct, and it usually works great for COB everytime. You can set the mood for a song thru the sound used, whether it's a heroic and feelingful high pitch like this, or a low pitch choir with a dark mood, or a mysterious medium pitch like Warheart, or whatever... Increased collaboration with the guitar and keyboard is one of the keys to making a divine Bodom album. I wish they'd throw any possible thrash riffs out the window and use this opportunity to create epic metal songs that remind you of breaching the gates of Hell or Heaven instead of the feelings of a hangover morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sry for Off-topic:

Aaah.. Joonas doesn't like Wintersun? How did that happen? I have always considered their music as very atmospheric and ispiring (And I am really digging the drumming although I am a guitarist, Kai Hahto is n1!) . And now with the bits of the new material I am really starting to like them even more. One thing I don't like is the NuclearBlast's overhype all aroud the new album tho. I would like to know what do you consider negative about their music, Joonas. :)

It sounds unnecessarily fast and restless, unable to carry enough creativity and punch in the music, then the vocals make it sound comical... good example is the beginning and end of the video I posted.

Well, at first I thought so too, but I got their first and only album kinda stucked in my phone and gave it a lot of spins recently and I have to say there is so much to dig in it. The drumming may sound like it is blastbeats all the time, but there are a lot of rythm-changes too. Beautiful Death is my favourite song for now.. but let's wait for Time I to come out.. and then we can have a talk. :)

Off-topic - end!

Can't wait for the new COB album. Hope it will be better than the two last. I want it to be something a little bit like FTR but not all the same. Variety of riffs, solos, many keyboards parts... and good lyrics. I do care about lyrics, about what is the song about. Alexi sometimes writes really good songs and the lyrics are awsome but sometimes they are too simple.

Can't wait for the new COB album. Hope it will be better than the two last. I want it to be something a little bit like FTR but not all the same. Variety of riffs, solos, many keyboards parts... and good lyrics. I do care about lyrics, about what is the song about. Alexi sometimes writes really good songs and the lyrics are awsome but sometimes they are too simple.

I agree he should start writing great lyrics about the Lake and the Reaper and the symbolic things again, it's really dumbed down now, but he can't even sing the new songs properly. I think due to Alexi's worn-out vocal chords he's doing faster lyrics/vocals cos he can't really growl anymore.

Lol wtf... they already have, listen to Ugly.

If you're talking about the bit in Ugly that starts around the 1 minute mark, they sound a little alike, but for me that was probably the best moment on the album. Unfortunately the pre-chorus and chorus were massive let-downs. Still it would be sweet if they could maintain those melodic bits without having to use disjointed thrashy transitions.

I'd like to put together a video of the best bits of this album, it would make a great short video. Anyone wanna help cos I don't know how to make videos? :D I did attend classes in Helsinki for making Flash graphics in my previous job but it's a different thing. I want to include the name of each track as well as some creative pics for each sample. I think it would be cool, as this album is all about sighing waiting for the next cool part.

Ok so the new COB album is like half ready. Over the years I've learned that most of times when a band doesn't talk about their upcoming album, there's not much to talk about really. Sad.

What I want to hear is:

"Hi guys, we now have five songs ready, it's very atmospheric and dark melodic death metal with creative songs, we have the Lake Bodom in the cover art again and we hired a producer who previously worked with atmospheric black / doom / death metal bands. We have regained the passion of our youth days and have some new interesting keyboard soundworlds and epic riffs..."

Let me live this dream...

first of all, Joonas youre a fuckin weirdo dude! wtf!? i have no words..

ok now..
holy fuck! i havent listened to COB or melodeath in years and wow it sounds so cheesy and dated! :lol: