Fucking harry potter

@ Pancakes... adults who read these books aren't what I'd call losers... I know plenty of adults who just don't read anything. Too many of them never read for fun. If something like this can make them enjoy reading, and have an imagination like a kid again then I want them to read it.

Now the people who dress up like the characters and go out in public... THOSE are losers... (along with the Star Wars and Star Trek fanatics who actually do that shit)

Silver Sable said:
@ Pancakes... adults who read these books aren't what I'd call losers... I know plenty of adults who just don't read anything. Too many of them never read for fun. If something like this can make them enjoy reading, and have an imagination like a kid again then I want them to read it.

Now the people who dress up like the characters and go out in public... THOSE are losers... (along with the Star Wars and Star Trek fanatics who actually do that shit)
I'd rather be an adult that dressed up as Chewbacca (basically, I'd just get some rubber vampire teeth and go naked) than a ten year old who dresses up as a child wizard going to some sorcerer's school named 'Hogwarts' (OMFG FUNNY NAEM LOLZ). Kiki's Delivery Service > Harry Potter

Silver Sable said:
*Looks at your reply to the do you wanna get married and have kids thread...*

I hope your children all love Teletubbies and Barney and shit until they are like 8... and then I hope they all love Harry Potter just to piss you off :p

I will raise my chlidren oldschool. I wonder if I can find every episode of the first two Power Rangers seasons anywhere...

Pancakes really knows how to make a fool of himself, yes?

All bias aside, I'm curious about Harry Potter books and I'd probably pick one up if I didn't already have two books to read. I've dismissed the hell out of the series because it's kid's stuff, then I saw the movies and found them entertaining. My mother is a HUGE fan, and I highly value her opinion of books.

@Pancakes. So, liking a book that you do not like makes someone a "loser," huh?

BlackwaterNymph said:
I happen to like the books ...to me, the main thing is it's getting children reading (yeah I care- I'm going to be a teacher) and growing geeks for the future.

Yeah, that's one thing I'm grateful for. It's very heartening to see a child reading a 700 page book. :)

Belial said:
All bias aside, I'm curious about Harry Potter books and I'd probably pick one up if I didn't already have two books to read. I've dismissed the hell out of the series because it's kid's stuff, then I saw the movies and found them entertaining. My mother is a HUGE fan, and I highly value her opinion of books.

if you actually liked the movies, then you're most definitely going to love the books.

@Pancakes: I'm curious, do you actually read anything other than your computer screen?

The first two books absolutely sucked. The next three have all been very good, so SHUT UP. I hate Harry Potter movies and want them to die. Die.

Starscream said:
its clearly written for children as the writing style is appauling, she may use big words occasionaly but the actuall context in which they're used shows the authors lack of skill.

things like " then harry walked up to the big goblin who was magnitudiously scary and had a big stick, harry then said 'go, you bad monster, you make me sad and melancholy.i shall defeat you with my wand. harry then hit the goblin with his wand and he ran away.."

wow. way to go making a fool of yourself! i'm not a fan (i'm totally indifferent to the fact that the next book is coming out) but i did enjoy her books and read them all (my sis got me into them).

fact is her writing is good. it's cultured, full of vivid characterization and classic manichean, underdog, good vs evil themes. there are reasons why she's won book awards (and, i'm talking about before harry potter become so widespread and popular).

but, no really, i can give rat's ass about it, but i do hate ignorant assessments of other people's writings, especially the ones that issue from "counterculture" impulses. i tend to think people who hate somehting just because it's associated with the masses are as stupid as blind fanatics. you're all a bunch of sheep.

even if some people like it why the hell yould it be reported above something like the resurection of the GM debate or ANOTHER assasination of hamas leader by the israelis?

probably because no other book in history sells like a gazaillion trillion copies on the day it's released.

ps: the movies suck trememndous jelly-roll with cheese ass.

Guardian of Darkness said:
The first two books absolutely sucked. The next three have all been very good, so SHUT UP. I hate Harry Potter movies and want them to die. Die.

as do I, that's why I told Belial he's going to enjoy the books. as for the first two, they're made with a criteria for 11 and 12 year olds, while the next three grew in complexity, just as Harry grows in age. that's the idea, and it works well on all books, if you ask me.

blakmetalemp said:
Raise them with Good Times and Sanford and Son's.

jeffersons.jpg

97-974.jpg

we movin on up! :tickled:

I thought that was confirmed when he did that stupid kid science educational show that was for really slow children. He officially hit loser status when he made himself a game show prize. Win a date with a star (read loser who can't get a real date)... He bought himself a hummer. How much more of a insecure freak can he be?

Pancakes: What the hell, dude?

Assuming you have the reading level of a fourth grader, you can finish the book in two days MAXIMUM.

Just pick it up and read it. You might like it.