Future of Music

download first, buy 2nd. everyone should do that...it saves you $$ because you don't buy shit cds.
However, if I read really ass kicking reviews from reviewers I trust i'll buy without listening. I dont do it often tho.

I prefer the booklet, case, actual DISC, and especially the better audio quality.
if you're listening to mp3s on an ipod with the included earbuds...
you will have a much harder time telling the difference than if you listened with just decent gear.

I've wasted a good deal of money at the local Tower records because they actually carry a good deal of Metal, and it's quicker than mail order

unknown said:
I've wasted a good deal of money at the local Tower records because they actually carry a good deal of Metal, and it's quicker than mail order
wasted was a good word choice...
www.alldirect.com (i hope it comes back online)
7.99 cds sell for 12.99+ at tower
11 dollar cds sell for like 18 at tower
plus free shipping on orders more than 99 dollars
my latest haul took 9 days(free shipping)

unknown said:

waaaaaay overpriced.

Newbury Comics is the cheapest place around here.

fom.jpg

I don't know why, but I found that funny.

Everyones favorite albums are going to be re-released forever so it does not really matter. If people still listen to and buy vinyls people are going to be buying cds for along time.

Even if cd sales do go down for metal due to downloads, you still can't download shirts. I bet merch sales are up a ton, since people have access to hearing so many bands. Concert attendance has probably risen as well. Bands make more money on merchandise than cd sales anyway.

TylerTheNuke said:
What about imports? I mean, some of metals classics aren't really avalible for such prices. what then?

I haven't even bothered looking in the imports section. it's not that big

People who didn't care about music much anyway(read: 99% of the population)
would prolly buy less cds when they can just d/l.

OTOH, filesharing is wonderful for people who do care and do buy. The underground scene, metal or not, will not be negatively affected.

i own many cds but have stopped buying them, the michael pinnela solo album was the last cd I bought, and thats because I knew there was no other way of getting it.

what is the point of buying a cd in this era of mp3 players when you are just going to rip all of the tracks to your mp3 player anyway? I now have around 300 cds collecting dust because of this. And most of the money goes to the cock sucking record company. And if a cd doesnt sell well, the record company doesnt give a band the support to tour, and actually make money by the fans who are out there but not showing their faces.

Downloading exposes a lot more people to a bands music than probably would otherwise listen. I know I have downloaded tons of albums I probably wouldn't have otherwise bothered with, and became a fan.

More people just need to get their asses to concerts and buy merchandise.
One step I think bands should start working on is making a broader range of merchandise, and making it more reasonablly priced. For instance, at a near sold out opeth show a few months ago, all of their shirts were black with only a few evil designs to choose from, and costed $35 dollars. This alienates a lot of people because not everyone wants to pay that kind of money for a cotton shirt, especially a black one that 5000 other people will have. If bands had more selection in their merch to fit everyones style, with better prices, I am sure almost everyone who went to their concert would by the merch. And there needs to just be more promotion spent on adveratising concerts. Everytime a good metal band comes around here, a lot of people miss out that would go simply because they dont hear about it unless they check the bands site all the time.

There are plenty of unsigned musicians or signed but not too popular, that make no/little money producing AWESOME music, so I dont think if career musicians stop existing, so will good music.

The_Isle said:
On that note, I think the above applies to movies too.

Not at all, most people do not have the patients to download movies and unlike cd's, downloading movies takes up a lot of space and chances you'll only watch it once. Songs people listen to over and over without it getting too old.