Future of Music

Cds are cheap if you look around...
paying more than 10 dollars for a cd is just padding the wallets of record stores(excludes limited/indie stuff)
there should be a sticky thread on distros

I buy CD's and DL CD's. I just don't have the money to buy CD's at this point and time (like I'm 100% broke). Do I want to stop listening to music just because I can't afford CD's during my jobless time in my life? No... so I'll DL, and buy CD's when I get the money. I much prefer hardcopy CD's anywayz.

I don't use any p2p at all. I'll download from chums, but inevitably end up buying th cds the next time I see them cheap. I think that fo rmost metal bands, the "Big" ones included, it's really the merch and live tickets that pay their wages anyway. I tend to buy a load of cds second hand off ebay , amazon used and new etc, so the band have already had their royalty by the time I buy it anyway. I'm not a huge fan of downloading stuff for free, but then again I'm hypocritical enough to have savoured some stuff that Dodens has sent me without having bought it.

Bottom line: I prefer the cds, but I'd rather buy then used than brand new, paying £15 is for the birds.

I can truthfully say that without the internet, I would never have found metal, and therefore never have spent the money on going to concerts, buying shirts, and of course CDs. Any business they lose by downloading is more than made up for by the large amount of communication that goes on on the internet about metal, that would have never happened without it.

Entropiastrife said:
what is the point of buying a cd in this era of mp3 players when you are just going to rip all of the tracks to your mp3 player anyway?

That makes no sense. When you buy a CD you buy a license to listen to that music. Why does it matter how you then proceed to use that? I have around 475 CDs and I listen to them pretty much solely in mp3 form (because I find it more convenient and flexible and I also don't own a proper CD player anymore). Sure, my CDs are essentially collecting dust, but isn't that what collections do in general? It's not like CDs are objects that you generally do anything with other than either sticking them in a CD player or leaving them on a shelf. I buy music because I love music and I have some uncontrollable urge to collect it. In my eyes my CD collection is not useless at all. I derive happiness simply from owning them, ocasionally taking one off the shelf and looking through the booklet while I listen. And just having the high quality source material and being able to re-rip it into whatever format I want whenever I want.

If you really feel like you don't need to buy any CDs at all simply because you can just download the music then in my opinion you're simply not a real music fan because that means you have at most a very superficial attachment to music.

And to properly reply to this topic (I wasn't going to but I already appear to be writing): I think music downloads only 'hurt' (I use the term loosely since the majority are already multi-millionaires) popular artists because they cater to a different audience. Take Britney Spears. Her target audience is not people who are passionate about music like myself and many others here. Her audience is 13-year-old spoiled teeny bopper girls with no real concept of musical taste who simply find her new single to be "just so cool" and want to listen to it while they are gossiping with their girlfriends on MSN. So they download it, listen to it about 10 times, get bored of it due to the vapid and straightforwardness of the 'music' and move on to the next new hit song without ever buying a single CD because they have to spend all their allowance on Bacardi Breezers.

Ofcourse that's all a bit of an exageration, but in general I do think that is true. People who listen to pop music go for the easy thrills and never really get attached to the music simply because they aren't looking for that and because the music has so little substance that you couldn't get attached to it even if you tried. If you venture a bit deeper into the music scene that resides below the mainstream you just find a completely different type of music fan. People who do actually care about what they listen to and who do get attached to certain artists or albums. And those people generally don't just settle for a bunch of bad quality (I am convinced the average internet person has NO clue how to rip and encode CDs properly) poorly named files on their harddrive. They want the full package, sitting on their shelf collecting dust. And those same people are also likely to use filesharing services to discover new music that they could otherwise never have heard, and then proceed to buy that too, sometimes even at ridiculous prices.

Mainstream music does probably get hurt somewhat, but underground music profits from it more than anything. Since I personally could care less about most mainstream music in general, I am fine with it really. I certainly will never stop downloading, or buying CDs for that matter. No matter what happens to the music 'industry'.

CAIRATH said:
That makes no sense. When you buy a CD you buy a license to listen to that music. Why does it matter how you then proceed to use that? I have around 475 CDs and I listen to them pretty much solely in mp3 form (because I find it more convenient and flexible and I also don't own a proper CD player anymore). Sure, my CDs are essentially collecting dust, but isn't that what collections do in general? It's not like CDs are objects that you generally do anything with other than either sticking them in a CD player or leaving them on a shelf. I buy music because I love music and I have some uncontrollable urge to collect it. In my eyes my CD collection is not useless at all. I derive happiness simply from owning them, ocasionally taking one off the shelf and looking through the booklet while I listen. And just having the high quality source material and being able to re-rip it into whatever format I want whenever I want.

If you really feel like you don't need to buy any CDs at all simply because you can just download the music then in my opinion you're simply not a real music fan because that means you have at most a very superficial attachment to music.

And to properly reply to this topic (I wasn't going to but I already appear to be writing): I think music downloads only 'hurt' (I use the term loosely since the majority are already multi-millionaires) popular artists because they cater to a different audience. Take Britney Spears. Her target audience is not people who are passionate about music like myself and many others here. Her audience is 13-year-old spoiled teeny bopper girls with no real concept of musical taste who simply find her new single to be "just so cool" and want to listen to it while they are gossiping with their girlfriends on MSN. So they download it, listen to it about 10 times, get bored of it due to the vapid and straightforwardness of the 'music' and move on to the next new hit song without ever buying a single CD because they have to spend all their allowance on Bacardi Breezers.

Ofcourse that's all a bit of an exageration, but in general I do think that is true. People who listen to pop music go for the easy thrills and never really get attached to the music simply because they aren't looking for that and because the music has so little substance that you couldn't get attached to it even if you tried. If you venture a bit deeper into the music scene that resides below the mainstream you just find a completely different type of music fan. People who do actually care about what they listen to and who do get attached to certain artists or albums. And those people generally don't just settle for a bunch of bad quality (I am convinced the average internet person has NO clue how to rip and encode CDs properly) poorly named files on their harddrive. They want the full package, sitting on their shelf collecting dust. And those same people are also likely to use filesharing services to discover new music that they could otherwise never have heard, and then proceed to buy that too, sometimes even at ridiculous prices.

Mainstream music does probably get hurt somewhat, but underground music profits from it more than anything. Since I personally could care less about most mainstream music in general, I am fine with it really. I certainly will never stop downloading, or buying CDs for that matter. No matter what happens to the music 'industry'.

Here here dude :kickass:

cookiecutter said:
I can truthfully say that without the internet, I would never have found metal, and therefore never have spent the money on going to concerts, buying shirts, and of course CDs. Any business they lose by downloading is more than made up for by the large amount of communication that goes on on the internet about metal, that would have never happened without it.
QFT. I blame the internet for 95% of my music taste.

As for the whole CD/mp3 thing, I will download, but mostly single songs from band/label sites. As for albums, I prefer CDs as you also get booklets, art and the guarantee that it won't go bye-bye the next time a virus comes around.

Also, the RIAA fudge the whole "record sales are going down" angle. While album sales are decreasing, it's not at the rate they'd have you believe. When the RIAA talk about record sales, they also include tapes and vinyl LPs, the sales of which have been going down since CDs caught on.

I "get" the download thing. Spending $15 on a crappy CD blows. Sometimes I've gotten home frmo buying a CD, found out that it sucked, then went straight back to the store to buy another one just to get the bad "wasted money" taste from my mouth. lol

Still...rationalize it all you want downloading instead of buying is stealing. A band creates a product, and instead of selling it, people are taking it for free. Yah, there are some benefits for sure...like getting your name out there...but if things keep going the way they are going, I think there will be some major backlash.

Scott

>>>>>Metal on the other hand does not (for the most part) get heard, so one of the only methods of hearing a band is to download some of their music. This "helps" by getting the music in front of the people that would buy it but might not have if they hadn't even heard it.

I went home and thought about this Demonhelm, and yeah...I can see your point.

If that is the case though...then what happens? What are the consequences to record labels not making CD's that sell?

Maybe then they focus on genres that do sell, eh? lol Or maybe they will be forced to stop mass producing shitty music.

Even on this board, it's about a 75/25 split in favor of people who download. They can rationalize it all they want, but you've still got metal fans cheating the very industry they claim to love.

It's a long term problem.

Scott

Well you're obviously not getting my point if you think I'm just preaching about stealing.

Downloading doesn't affect me personally...now. I'm just wondering what some people's thoughts are on the future, because it will impact (and is already) the industry. If there are bands on this board, it would be interesting to have their input. It would be interesting knowing how they would write music knowing they will never make a profit from it.

Scott

PS - Get off the fucking thread if you don't like it!! lol - it amazes me how retards want to waste their time, and everyone elses by posting useless uninsightful crap on threads that don't appeal to them just so they can feel cool.

kerry king

The fate of the music industry is in the arms of kerry king. It's up to him now

I can say that I have never downloaded anything. I don't own an iPOD or anything else like it. I own a couple thousand cd's and I don't see myself ever stopping buying them. I need the booklet and actual cd, mp3s are pretty boring imo.