Ghost reveries has FINALLY CLICKED with me...

GR took few listenings to get me into, but after month of listening I kinda fed up with it. Now i think there are only 3 excelent songs: Ghost of Perdition, The Baying of The Hounds and Reverie/Harlequin Forest. Beneath The Mire has some great parts, but the intro sucks. The mellow songs aren't very good if you compare them to older ones like Harvest, Credence or To Bid You Farewell. The Grand Conjuration is just too repeative and boring.

So I think Ghost Reveries is their weakest album.

I thought it was pretty good (by normal standards, so disappointing by Opeth's standards) until I put it on repeat and played it over and over. I started to pick up parts that I liked, and eventually every song (bar TGC) grew on me. I agree with the dude before me though, it has gotten a bit boring, but maybe that's from the ridiculous amount of times it's been played on my CD player.

same with me...

not sure which # listen it was, but suddenly, (i remember i was driving), i realized that it was totally killer.

and hearing some of the songs live has helped a lot too...

Goober said:
ever since July (yeah....i got it early, but its ok because i bought it when it came out :D) I listened to it, i liked it, but i felt disapointed in many ways. But after a little more than half a year i put it on and it clicked....the songs i've heard so many times before had given me goosebumps like I had never felt before in my life. This album is truly a work of art. Yeah, i will agree thought that it isnt their best, but its definately one of their better albums. Favorite song would by far be Baying of the hounds. they have an amazing build up from the soft parts and eventually leads into a mindblowing guitar solo. If you hate ghost reveries...take another listen....i think you will be surprised

Took me more than 7 months to like it...Once i was listening to it in my mp3 player and all of a sudden i UNDERSTOOD this album! Before i liked it but not as much as other albums...Ever since that moment + Chronology show in NYC where they played some songs from the new album, i LOVE IT!

I heard Ghost of Perdition as the first Opeth-Song I ever heard on the mix-CD of a prog magazine, and it blowed me away. Within a month I owned all Opeth records except for Blackwater Park, cause you can't get it in my home town since a year. Now I'm waiting ... :bah:

Ghost of Perdition was the first Opeth song I ever heard on a mix-cd of a prog magazine, and it blowed me away. Within a month I owned all Opeth cds except Blackwater Park, cause you can't get it in Germoney since a year. Now I'm waiting ... :bah:

the first opeth album i heard was still life and that album got me to get all their other albums. ghost reveries IMO is very reminiscent of still life in the atmospheres of the songs. i love ghost reveries so much because i am biased towards still life is what i guess i'm trying to say.

firewindraging said:
the first opeth album i heard was still life and that album got me to get all their other albums. ghost reveries IMO is very reminiscent of still life in the atmospheres of the songs. i love ghost reveries so much because i am biased towards still life is what i guess i'm trying to say.

i love still life more than any other album by opeth, but i dont like GR, i dont see the same atmosphere at all :\

i have loved GP ever since i bought it. its a killing album. i reckon the melodic songs are their best and the grand conjurgation was the best song live when the played here in melb a couple of weeks ago. i dont understand why so many people dont like it. its a completly different album to all the others in my opinion. mike vocals are the best on this recording too.:headbang:

Maybe your mind is being conditioned to like the music after a while of not finding any obvious, glaring faults. Just like people who think that speaker drivers break in and improve in sound after a period of time, when it is actually their perception of hearing in the mind that "breaks in" and gets comfortable with what they hear.

Maybe your perception of reality is off. Just like when people breathe the air in one of the dirtiest cities in the world.

I have always loved GR, it's pure genius.

Brilliant songs, flows so well, really nice melodies, great clean vocals, and it has 'Isolation Years' - one of the best Opeth tracks, ever.

As for TGC - i didn't like it at first, when i heard it on its own. But now, hearing it in the context of the album, its grown on me a lot, and i love it now. Its that kind of track opeth need.. it drags you in, almost trance like. It is also an extremely good live track.

It 'clicked' with me after 2-3 listens, and hasn't faded since. Still an amazing album. Heres hoping for another masterpiece next time around!