GMD Poll: Darkthrone's Discography Ranked

Tier 1-The Masterworks

1. Transilvanian Hunger- Minimalism perfected. This record is lifelessness expressed through the living. It's as if Darkthrone are mere surrogates for a cold and foreign force. The drums basically repeat the same droning pattern from start to finish, creating a hypnotizing ambiance. The riffs are strange and twisted, sounding simultaneously majestic and grotesque. The cold, emotionless vocals sound as if they're coming from the atrophied mouth a corpse. While this record has been imitated countless times thanks to its simple song structures and lo-fi production, it's chilling, detached execution is virtually unparalleled. No other record sounds so inhumane, in the truest sense of the word. Said succinctly, Transilvanian Hunger is music devoid of the human form of life.

2. A Blaze in the Northern Sky- This record has a spirit and energy like no other. It is free, cathartic, and wild, as if drunk on a new found love for evil. That aesthetic is reflected in the compositions, with plenty of strange song structures and sudden shifts in tone, mood, and tempo. It is further reflected in the performances, especially in Fenriz's relentless drumming and Nocturo Culto's wild howls. Yet, all these risks work. Each track is distinct, blazing it's own trail through the darkest of skies, yet the ecstatic vivacity of the permanence unifies the record.

3. Under a Funeral Moon- Under a Funeral Moon is as vile and primitive as they come. The raw production lends a cavernous tone to the record. That's the perfect tone for this collection of droning, buzzsaw riffs and crude, tribal drum patterns. While there are still a few of the dynamic twists found on A Blaze in the Northern Sky (i.e. "Summer of the Diabolical Holocaust") the songwriting is approaching the sparse minimalism of Transilvanian Hunger. However, Under a Funeral Moon is it's own monster. Unlike the ultra-detached aura of Transilvanian Hunger, Under a Funeral Moon seethes a cruel and vicious bloodlust.

4. Panzerfaust- Panzerfaust lives up to it's name. This record is a full frontal attack, with Nocturno Culto unleashing absolutely vile vocals that dominate the mix. The songs are divided between more throttling, Celtic Frost inspired tracks and hypnotic black metal in the vein of Transilvanian Hunger. Regardless of the style, each track hits its target.

Tier 2- Good Shit

5. Ravishing Grimness-
Very strong songwriting and riff-craft throughout. Slightly longer compositions with a series of progressions that are carefully tied together. “The Claws of Time” is their best post-Panzerfaust song.

6. The Underground Resistance- A way more creative and engaging form of retro metal from Darkthrone. The songs are epic and provide an interesting mix of thrash, doom, and viking metal. “Valkyrie” is their best song in over a decade and “Leave no Cross Unturned” is an excellent epic that justifies its length. An easy choice for the “Their Best Album Since” award.

7. Goatlord- Such a wonderfully weird creation. There is far more energy in the performance and far more inspiration in the songwriting then there was on Soulside Journey. The vocals are indeed weird, but they really work to create an otherworldly atmosphere on this Frankenstein record.

8. Sardonic Wrath- Not too different from Hate Them: high energy, straightforward black metal. Really, the only thing that sets it ahead of its predecessor is the final two tracks. “Hate is the Law” is arguably Darkthrone's best punk-influenced track.

9. Arctic Thunder- Darkthrone’s most black metal album in over a decade. Darker, more bleak, and more rugged than their recent works. There are some beastly riffs on this album, while other tracks are a bit more run-of-the-mill. Overall, not a very adventurous album, but a nice “welcome home” record. Also, as random note, the album title sounds like the name of a gum flavor or deodorant scent.

10. Circle the Wagons- Easily, the best “punkthrone” era album (I know… it’s much more influenced by traditional metal, Motorhead and Celtic Frost than it is by punk, but “punkthrone” a lot catchier). There’s the highest number of stellar tracks (i.e. the title track, “Those Treasures Will Never Befall You” and “Stylized Corpse” [which actually has an interesting song structure]) and the fewest number of dumb tracks (just “I am the Grave of the 80s” and “I am the Working Class”). Darkthrone seems a little more comfortable in the style, so the songs come off as more natural and less like “look how retro we are!”

11. Total Death- A massive letdown considering the previous four albums (excluding Goatlord), but it’s still a strong black metal album taken in and of itself. “Earth’s Last Picture” and “Ravnajuv” are stellar pieces of black metal and the rest of the tracks are all at least solid. That said, it clearly lacks the imagination of predecessors.

12. Hate Them-
Darkthrone were starting to sound a little stale by Plagueweilder and consequently, they stripped down their sound on Hate Them. This is a very straight forward and energetic record. The songwriting is a little basic, but solid enough. Save the chorus of “Striving for a Piece of Lucifer,” little stands out.

Tier 3- Meh

13. Plagueweilder- There’s nothing bad about this album, and the compositions are actually fairly interesting. However, the performance lacks heart and energy. Also, the riffs, while solid, are fairly boilerplate. Nothing really imaginative, distinct, or exemplary here.

14. Soulside Journey- Just way too austere. Very little stands out from it and very little resonates. An album I’ve learned to countless times, but still couldn’t point out more than a few standout moments.

Tier 4- PBR

15. F.O.A.D.- Fairly unimaginative hero-worship. Some of the tracks have absolutely awful lyrics (“hey, we’re cool cuz we like 80s metal!”). Shit I would expect from teenagers trying to prove themselves, not grown-ass men. That said, there are enough strong riffs scattered throughout the album, and the energy level is high, making for a listenable record.

16. The Cult is Alive- Read notes on F.O.A.D. Black metal elements remain fairly prevalent in comparison to the next three albums. “Graveyard Slut” is the worst Darkthrone song ever.

17. Dark Thrones and Black Flags- Read notes on F.O.A.D. However, at least the other “punkthrone” records have at least a few tracks that stand out. This one really doesn’t have any.

10. Circle the Wagons- Easily, the best “punkthrone” era album (I know… it’s much more influenced by traditional metal, Motorhead and Celtic Frost than it is by punk, but “punkthrone” a lot catchier). There’s the highest number of stellar tracks (i.e. the title track, “Those Treasures Will Never Befall You” and “Stylized Corpse” [which actually has an interesting song structure]) and the fewest number of dumb tracks (just “I am the Grave of the 80s” and “I am the Working Class”). Darkthrone seems a little more comfortable in the style, so the songs come off as more natural and less like “look how retro we are!”

11. Total Death- A massive letdown considering the previous four albums (excluding Goatlord), but it’s still a strong black metal album taken in and of itself. “Earth’s Last Picture” and “Ravnajuv” are stellar pieces of black metal and the rest of the tracks are all at least solid. That said, it clearly lacks the imagination of predecessors.
really-meme.jpg

Really, putting Circle the Wagons above Total Death is easily the worst part of your whole list.

Reactions: CiG
with Nocturno Culto unleashing absolutely vile vocals that dominate the mix.

lulz, that's a nice way to describe the worst part of that album.

Shit I would expect from teenagers trying to prove themselves, not grown-ass men.

It's sad that you didn't even know how to approach this type of work. BUT ITS SO SERIOUS :lol:

take the pretentiousness down a few notches, then maybe you might be able to enjoy their later work a little more for what they are.

lulz, that's a nice way to describe the worst part of that album.

I get why people don't like that element, but I fucking love it.

It's sad that you didn't even know how to approach this type of work. BUT ITS SO SERIOUS :lol:

take the pretentiousness down a few notches, then maybe you might be able to enjoy their later work a little more for what they are.

I get it. It's PBR music. Cheap shit that takes little effort to write and little effort to get. You can get drunk and have a good time listening to it, but ultimately it has no substance. They're not bad albums though, just fairly vacuous.

I disagree with way too much in your post to address it all, but do you not consider The Underground Resistance as part of Darkthrone's "punkthrone" era? Just curious.

Not really. It’s a completely different style of songwriting and has prevalent influences (viking era Bathory, doom metal) that aren’t present on the previous four albums. It really stands on its own in Darkthrone’s discography. I would have liked to see them produce at least one more album in this style before moving on TBH.

Not really. It’s a completely different style of songwriting and has prevalent influences (viking era Bathory, doom metal) that aren’t present on the previous four albums. It really stands on its own in Darkthrone’s discography. I would have liked to see them produce at least one more album in this style before moving on TBH.

Agreed. I was just making sure you weren't contradicting your placement of The Underground Resistance above Circle the Wagons while simultaneously saying Circle the Wagons was the best of the "punkthrone" material, as I have heard others lump The Underground Resistance in with those others.

I myself don't even really see those albums as especially punky (seems to all be in the visual aspects and that's it) and hear a lot of the traditional metal overlap with "punkthrone" material and onward.

*And I definitely share your wishes there.

I’ve always thought The Underground Resistance was more of a traditional metal album, definitely in the way it felt if nothing else.

I revised my list last night, had Panzerfaust way too low. Will blame it on not owning it until recently. Some real Celtic Frost madness going on there.

Reactions: Omni
Didn't have time to listen to much but whatevs

1. Goatlord
2. A Blaze in the Northern Sky
3. Transilvanian Hunger
4. Soulside Journey
5. Arctic Thunder
6. Under a Funeral Moon
7. Panzerfaust
8. Plaguewielder
9. The Underground Resistance
10. Ravishing Grimness

Reactions: CiG
I’ve always thought The Underground Resistance was more of a traditional metal album, definitely in the way it felt if nothing else.

Indeed. "Felt" as in aesthetics? Because sometimes I got the feeling the "crust" label was used with the previous 3 albums simply due to the cover art but surely people aren't that retarded.

People are totally that retarded.
Yeah tell me about it, we have one of those retards here. He thinks Protest the Hero are tech-thrash.

Anyway, i dont think ive heard anyone call those albums strictly crust or anything, which would be pretty retarded indeed. I think it's sometimes used to describe their "newfound" low-fi punky sound that they sprinkled in there. I've even heard people say they hear early Amebix in there. Which is pretty spot on imo

METALSUCKS:
Was the move towards more of a blackened crust punk sound on the last few Darkthrone albums intentional, a natural progression, better reflection of your and Nocturno Culto’s mindsets, or both?

Fenriz: All of the above, but the main thing was that we got our own portable studio, and suddenly a wind of freedom at the Darkthrone speedway-court took a stronghold. Fuck the cobwebs. Also, when we started writing more songs, not only riffs and lyrics apart from the songs, things obviously changed, and so it came to be that i started once again to do vocals in Darkthrone, and the way it works out now is the best – pretty much 50/50 songwriting and instrumentation and also we sing on our own songs – i these days have 110% fulfillment in writing and singing my songs in Darkthrone, everything else would be fake, so that’s why I don’t and CAN NOT do guest vocals for others, I am 110% committed to my own anger and force in my songs now. no shit.

edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: EspaDa
.. yes i agree(and no one should even question the "metalness" there, kind of like how most metalcore is indeed metal and not just "metallic hardcore ";))

but they were still a crust band first and foremost. Hence i have no problem with people using "Crust" as one of the words to describe "Punkthrone". Btw that's the first time ive used that term :lol:

also, just "some" Amebix in there?

kind of like how most metalcore is indeed metal and not just "metallic hardcore ";)

Not really. Metalcore schismed into metallic hardcore and mallcore. Kind of like crust which schismed into crust punk orthodoxy and the more metal variants. ;)

also, just "some" Amebix in there?

Indeed.

Hence i have no problem with people using "Crust" as one of the words to describe "Punkthrone".

Fair enough.