GMD Poll: Iron Maiden Albums Ranked

#6 Iron Maiden (1980)

413051.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.5/16

People rating Iron Maiden high are probably prone to idealizing first works and S/Ts. Iron Maiden was incredibly unpolished, and not in the admirably "raw" way one may describe thrash albums. It almost wasn't even metal. The Led Zeppelin imitation is obvious.

Maybe you should stay in the social forum.

Just remember Dak is literally a groove metal guy.

Last edited:
#5 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

80.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.8/16

Iron Maiden isn't getting enough love this round

That's because the album they released this year wasn't very good.

The best album they ever released isn't very good? Okay.

So, a ponderous, bloated and utterly mediocre effort that foretold some of the worst songwriting decisions of latter-era Maiden is the best album they've ever released?

812495d53739132fbfe75183dc5f30309010a97bc2b2051a38ae27980b77e0f3.jpg

@zabu of nΩd

The evil that men do lives on and on
(3x)

Can I play with madness? The prophet stared at his crystal ball
Can I play with madness? There's no vision there at all
Can I play with madness? The prophet looked and he laughed at me
Can I play with madness? He said you're blind too blind to see
(3x)

These lyrics are objective proof that the entire composition is a filler track.

4RZEL9m.gif

SSoaSS is filler-free, perhaps the only Maiden album to be so. Very cohesive and compelling record from start to finish. The tracks are free bloated passages as well. The title track may be long, but it is perfectly paced and developed to function as the epic centerpiece of the album.

Where the riffs at?

OK, the last one might not be a direct quote...

#4 Number of the Beast (1982)

75.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.9/16

Best Album you have ever bought!!!

The Number of the FUCKING Beast!!!!

YES OF ALL THE IRON MAIDEN ALBUMS THE SEVEN SON IS THE BEST ALBUM BUT I LIKE NUMBER OF THE BEAST TOO CAZ IT IS THE FIRST MAIDEN ALBUM I BROUGHT DUDE

The Number of the Beast is masterful, title track is a great song but constant overplaying has fucked it up for me for the most part.

Favourite song would have to be Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I don't think I'll ever get sick of "Hallowed Be Thy Name". Now that's how you end an album.

#2 Piece of Mind (1983)

76.jpg

Average points per vote: 13.5/16

How about those fucking brilliant solos in Where Eagles Dare??? You close your eyes and you can imagine a burning sun in your face with the planes soaring around each other, bombs below! I *still* get goose bumps everytime I listen to that solo.

Piece of Mind is pretty forgettable overall with the exception of a few tracks

"What are the TWO WORST songs on Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind?"
1) the first half of the album
2) the second half of the album

If Piece of Mind is B+ at best, what the fuck is A+?

Piece of Mind kids. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

#1 Powerslave (1984)

77.jpg

Average points per vote: 13.9/16

Ok, as noted in my last post I'm converting this thread into a sketch board for newcomers to Metal music, I'm really hoping to help at least 1 listener get into this awesome genre.
Please take note, I don't know anything YET about metal, so at least for a start you'll have to give me a hand.

just get fucking powerslave

I'm afraid there is only one possible choice, no band could match Maiden back in those days. Powerslave is flawless.

Pretty close. Powerslave beat out Piece of Mind by .4 points.

Doooooooo
Doooo DOooo DOOOooo DOOOOoo DOOOooo DOooo Doooo
DOoooduhlee DOOooduhlee DOOOoduhlee DOOOooo DOooo Doooo Dooo
DOOooo Dooo Doo Doo
Doo Doo DOO Doooooooooooooooo

That was probably the first Iron Maiden harmony I totally fell in love with. I think I considered Losfer Words a top 5 Maiden song at one point. Pure metallic beauty.

It's completely understandable. I personally find it hard to enjoy heavy metal instrumentals, but my main problem with that track is that I just feel like it breaks up the album experience.

It did for me anyway, totally takes me out of the moment.

Reactions: EspaDa
I totally agree. It breaks up the album experience and that's the main reason why I can't enjoy the album how I would like to. The Duellists and Back in the Village aren't memorable too as I don't remember them at all.