Hate towards nu-metal

CIG you're exempt because you probably do hate all of these.

That list is kinda stupid looking. Voivod? Tad? Primus? Mkay then. Not to mention all the bands lumped in there because a decade after they started they did one or a few albums with groovy elements like Exodus, Testament, Slayer etc.

everything you have highlighted(and more). Rap has no place in metal and is my biggest gripe with the subgenre.

I was going to say this but forgot, great point. Just because you like two things (rap and metal) it doesn't follow that they should be combined.

OK
I'VE FIGURED IT OUT
BY GOD I'M ONTO SOMETHING

People don't like the mixing of primary genres.

But why.

I was going to say this but forgot, great point. Just because you like two things (rap and metal) it doesn't follow that they should be combined.

Superficial novelty looks like smart music to dumb people. There are a lot of these "It's two things!" sorts of bands out there, and they invariably develop a cult following from among the easily persuaded.

ummmm , you ask why people hate nu-metal and then you copy pasted a list of groove bands(a bunch on there arent even groove bands btw) and then you have the audacity to refer to others as sheeple? oh the irony :lol:

OH JEEZ OH MAN I DIDN'T PEER REVIEW THE WIKI ENTRY

Why do you like that trash? Let's start there instead. ;)

I don't love it. I hardly listen to Nu Metal. But I will definitely rock out to some Static-X in the winter, I used to play it snowboarding all the time.

If I had to define, it's almost like disco. Clipped, aggressive dance music, perfect for moving something besides just your head and holding the power stance. It's party music. Sure, this is due partly to it's simplicity - typical metering etc - but why is simplicity something to hate on? Familiar vocal rhythms, achievable foot tapping, and frankly trying to sing like John Davis is almost as fun as trying to sing like Mark Shelton. Just fun South Park shit. The goofiness is not a deterrent, at all.

If I had to define, it's almost like disco. Clipped, aggressive dance music, perfect for moving something besides just your head and holding the power stance. It's party music. Sure, this is due partly to it's simplicity - typical metering etc - but why is simplicity something to hate on? Familiar vocal rhythms, achievable foot tapping, and frankly trying to sing like John Davis is almost as fun as trying to sing like Mark Shelton. Just fun South Park shit. The goofiness is not a deterrent, at all.

I associate South Park with funk metal before I do nu-metal myself. Primus etc. But it sounds to me based on your comment that it's due to nostalgia. Am I wrong?

but why is simplicity something to hate on?

It's not though. I don't know anybody who says they hate nu-metal because it's too simple. I love doom metal and grindcore, arguably two of the most simplistic metal offshoots there are.

Reactions: Sophii
What's the problem with nu metal?

-Most of their singers suck hard and often do ridiculous attempts of wannabe beatbox rhythms and sounds, trying to create a sort of signature element on their performance.

-Sad absence of riffs. The guitars are almost an excuse to provide a sense of heaviness but the riffs themselves do nothing.

-Production is usually disgusting.

-Songwriting is usually aimed towards causal music listeners, using a specific "ABACAB" structure to deliver fast food like pleasure.

-Lack of artistic ambition. Fast food music indeed.

That said, I have to say not everything is garbage.

I think Korn's debut has some decent alt rock tracks. I like the distortion on that album and there are a couple of decent riffs on it. Also, Jonathan Davis performance delivers some sort of anguish/hate that fits the overall sound (as childish it might be). The heavy section of Shoots and Ladders is nice. Faget has nice drumming, to name a few things.

SOAD is sadly lumped into this category but they are easily the best band of the lot. I like how they incorporated Armenian folk into their sound. They also seems to be aware of more music than their peers, provided they've delivered far more ambitious and varied material. Good musicians too.

Some Deftones songs are nice. Their debut had a decent feel of heaviness.

Slipknot is a band that has all the elements to make decent music but their songwriting simply suck. They chose the right elements but they can't make it right.

Mudvayne is decent, generally speaking. They seem to be far more into extreme metal, especially the drummer. I think death metal is present in their sound to some extent.

Reactions: Sophii
I associate South Park with funk metal before I do nu-metal myself. Primus etc. But it sounds to me based on your comment that it's due to nostalgia. Am I wrong?

It's not though. I don't know anybody who says they hate nu-metal because it's too simple. I love doom metal and grindcore, arguably two of the most simplistic metal offshoots there are.

-South Park was a Manilla Road comment lol. Vocals of both them and a lot of Nu Metal remind of South Park voice acting.

-You may not be hating on simplicity but most certainly other naysayers are.

Or safe. Though Korn's first Demo, even though simplistic as fuck, is full of riffs imo. If Jonathan Davis wasnt the vocalist and they swapped him for a vocalist sorta like Mike IX Williams, it would make a worlds difference to me.