Hate towards nu-metal

I think it was their downfall. Roots was nothing but the extension of the groove and latin influences on Chaos AD, replacing the heaviness with nu metal/wannabe funk elements. The damage was already done when they decided to throw away the thrash and death metal elements on the riffs to focus only on the rhythm with mindless chugging.

Max Cavalera was the one who destroyed Sepultura.

I think it was their downfall. Roots was nothing but the extension of the groove and latin influences on Chaos AD, replacing the heaviness with nu metal/wannabe funk elements. The damage was already done when they decided to throw away the thrash and death metal elements on the riffs to focus only on the rhythm with mindless chugging.

Max Cavalera was the one who destroyed Sepultura.
im sorry but you are incorrect and anyone who actually listened to the band when those albums came out will tell you the same thing. Roots was much more than just an extension of the sound they hinted at on Chaos AD, which still has a bunch of mid-paced thrash scattered throughout. It was the nail in their coffin and everyone(including myself) who purchased that album on day one was left in shock. The additional groove and tribal elements actually worked on Chaos AD. The full on groovy nu-metal on Roots did not. And i wouldnt say they lost their heaviness with that shitstain of an album, but they did lose their metal edge ... which again cannot be said for Chaos AD.

And yes, Max and his wife were the downfall ... but Andreas also embraced the direction they went towards.

im sorry but you are incorrect and anyone who actually listened to the band when those albums came out will tell you the same thing. Roots was much more than just an extension of the sound they hinted at on Chaos AD, which still has a bunch of mid-paced thrash scattered throughout. It was the nail in their coffin and everyone(including myself) who purchased that album on day one was left in shock. The additional groove and tribal elements actually worked on Chaos AD. The full on groovy nu-metal on Roots did not. And i wouldnt say they lost their heaviness with that shitstain of an album, but they did lose their metal edge ... which again cannot be said for Chaos AD.

And yes, Max and his wife were the downfall ... but Andreas also embraced the direction they went towards.

I don't think you understood what I meant. Chaos AD was well received back then, I remember. It made some sense to many. The album has energy, it was well produced and the drumming is incredible. BUT... it had no riffs. It lacked riffs the day they recorded it, still lacks them now.

I heard it when it came out. People loved "Territory". I got bored of it around a week after the release. I couldn't believe that, after BTR and Arise, they totally stopped writing riffs in favor of chugging and headbanging rythms. I knew it was the end. Sure, it was metal, but it was groove metal at best, not thrash/death metal songwriting anymore. The novelty wore out really fast.

When Roots came out, the expectation of many were really high, since they said they would expand the tribal elements. Many expected something similar to Chaos AD... I didn't. I knew they would only put something worse. A friend of mine got the album when it was released and I heard it with him. He was almost crying, I just laughed. I didn't expect that, for sure. It was even worse than I imagined.

The difference, I believe, is that I was never that much into Chaos AD unlike many others.

The band embraced the change in style after Arise, They foresaw the dawnfall of thrash and tried to get into the next trend. In Chaos AD they kept some aggression, but they HAD to change to survive, to pay the bills. Most thrash bands did it anyway.

You can say that this is a similar case about Metallica. Load and Reload weren't the problem, they were just logic steps following the success of the black album. Metallica stopped being Metallica with the black album - which is a really good album for what it is - in the same fashion Sepultura stopped being Sepultura with Chaos AD.

Last edited:
Dude, there are a bunch of mid paced thrash riffs on that album. Do you really need me to link you to them? Sometimes you just love talking out of your ass man.

I did not like Chaos AD when it came out and it was not "well received" by their true fans. But right now i can appreciate it for what it is. a pretty solid experimental mid paced groove/thrash album. Roots is incomparable.

i love Bestial Devastation, butlulz. such a bin-crowd statement.

I know, and it pains me to have to say anything so hipster as, "Only their first ep off a split album is fully the tits," but it's definitely where I'm at with Sepultura. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy and listen to everything up through BTR, but Bestial Devastation is for sure the one for me.

Oh fuck, what? haha

I think they took their skills and talent the farthest they could with BTR anyway. Arise was pretty good but you could tell they started to suffer some lack of ideas. Nothing serious, just a slight decline.

I'd agree that they definitely became much more capable musicians, but the creative vitality of their earliest work is where it's at for me.

Schizophrenia tho.
One of my all time faovirte bands. Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains are better. Morbid Visions and Arise are just as good if not better.

Let me pull that one out. I'll get back to you.
:lol: so clearly you're not even that familiar with the band but are over here yapping about when they peaked? Lmao ..... ammmmaaayzin

Reactions: CiG and Sophii
Max in his youth was unstoppable, man. Such a shame he produces so much shit now.

Actually, newer Soulfly aint so bad. Its at least actual death/thrash type stuff instead of the gross nu-metal shit.

Besides early Sepultura, his Nailbomb project is one of my all time favorites.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
View attachment 23143

My personal favourite is Schizophrenia, but I think it's pretty obvious Sepultura peaked with Beneath the Remains. It was a perfect balance of everything that made them great up until that point.

I can buy that. I'm just personally ever so slightly bitter that it wasn't the full on death metal record I always wish they'd made after they learned to play their instruments. Probably irrational to hold that against them, though.