Iconoclast: News/Info Thread

The other day I was actually wondering if the band would surprise us and release a double-CD, and they actually are! I'm so excited about this that I really don't care about all the ridiculous track names; as long as the music is great! However, the only way "Bastards of the Machine" can possibly redeem itself from its title is if it has musical tie-ins to "Church of the Machine." Also, if "Light Up the Night" doesn't sound like it came straight from a classic Dio album I might be somewhat disappointed. Otherwise it seems that they're really playing up the cheese factor on this one, but it's not like they haven't done it before (read: Twilight in Olympus, V).

I also had a gut feeling that "Dehumanized" would be the third track, and that "The End of Innocence" would come before it. Kudos to me.

Now I'm confused.

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/cd/cd/symphony-x-iconoclast.html

01. Iconoclast
02. The End Of Innocence
03. Dehumanized
04. Bastards Of The Machine
05. Heretic
06. Children Of A Faceless God
07. Electric Messiah
08. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
09. When All Is Lost

Are the other 3 tracks covers or something? If so, why is the album order changed, and why 2 cds? I hope we get an official announcement about this tracklisting sometime soon.

yes I understand that, but why are the tracks in a different order on the 2cd set and why would a band have a version of their album with 3 less songs?

Obviously, everyone would want the 2cd set if they're all original songs, but if they're covers I'd much rather be able to listen to the album all the way through without having to switch cds to hear 2 more songs that could have just been on the first cd anyway.

Interesting. Special edition bonus tracks? Japanese bonus tracks? A quick AllMusic.com search of the three songs in question returned no significant results (at least not songs from bands Symphony X was influenced by), so I suspect they're not covers.

you don't think they did a Black-Eyed Peas cover on here?

I wonder if the 2CD set was supposed to be more like this:

CD1:
01. Iconoclast
02. The End Of Innocence
03. Dehumanized
04. Bastards Of The Machine
05. Heretic
06. Children Of A Faceless God
07. Electric Messiah
08. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
09. When All Is Lost
(Bonus) CD2:
01. Light Up The Night
02. The Lords Of Chaos
03. Reign In Madness

Looks like there will be a whole bunch of versions. A few different CD versions, and also LP / Vinyl versions.

Not too sure what to think of if it's a double album or not. They never mentioned it so bonus tracks seems more likely. If it really is long enough to be a double album then :headbang:

I guess that pretty much confirms the tracklist is real... nothing wrong with most of those names on their own and even names that might appear cheesy you'll probably get used to... I just thought it was weird that songs we know of were stuff like "Iconoclast", "Dehumanized", "Heretic", and "The End Of Innocence", while every other one we didn't had a long name with no short ones (also stuff like "The Lords Of Chaos" seemed like things people would say as a parody).

Anyway, just glad to see more indication that this thing is actually coming out soon :headbang:

On second read, I'm finding this post very hard to understand (not saying that you're incorrect).

What exactly are you saying a Polymeter is, and a Polyrhythm is?

Polymeter = the individual beats all align, but the measures don't. So you could tap your foot to it and always be on the beat of the whole song, but the different parts playing would only align on measures that are the multiple of both, i.e. every 15 beats for a simultaneous three-time and five-time part.

Polyrhythm = the measures align, but the beats within them don't. So after each measure both parts will always be on the same page, but you couldn't keep a single beat for the whole song, because they would be moving differently within each measure.

If there are any mistakes in this post, someone feel free to correct me, but I think that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really confusing news. I guess this will not be a day 1 purchase for me until I see what is actually out on the shelves, assuming simultaneous release of all editions. I do not think I can be quite so extravagant as buying two different editions although I would like to hear how each CD sounds in their entirety. I am a bit obsessive about the flow of an album as intended by the artist and I never put my CDs or mp3s on shuffle. Maybe if I didn't book my trip to see the live show... :p

At the London concert last night they played Prometheus. Excellent song, but the lyrics don't seem to be getting any better. I am probably going to annoy a lot of you, but Russel has a little go at a screamed vocal :)

Anyway, it was great, and they even through in Smoke and Mirrors, which was good, the rest was pretty standard...

Hey guys,

First post here. I was at the London show last night (amazing btw!!) and managed to record the new song Prometheus (although the audio is awful!) , and have just put it up on Youtube. Here's the link...

Sounded pretty dark and tense, with a couple of great solos from Michael Romeo!

Nice one!
Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
Not passing judgment until album is out.

Is Prometheus longer than the previous new songs played? Or same dynamic? Short and heavy.?