Iconoclast: News/Info Thread

Although the sound is terrible in the video, I might like this song the best so far.

Non-PL instruments, PL vocals. What's with the random scream @4:05? Awful. The chorus is great however, very catchy.

Random scream my ass, that just ends the chorus if you didn't notice 2:47. Personally, I think it would be awesome if that was an actual scream and not just shit quality. Very Townsend-ish and I think Russell could easily handle that kinda stuff, so I wouldn't really be surprised to hear something like this on album too. I didn't really like the chorus tho, pretty lame if you ask me.

The quality is so bad that I'm almost sure that I heard blastbeats at some point lol. Now, wouldn't that be cool, eh? ;D

Non-PL instruments, PL vocals? Err... what?

Random scream my ass, that just ends the chorus if you didn't notice 2:47. Personally, I think it would be awesome if that was an actual scream and not just shit quality. Very Townsend-ish and I think Russell could easily handle that kinda stuff, so I wouldn't really be surprised to hear something like this on album too. I didn't really like the chorus tho, pretty lame if you ask me.

The quality is so bad that I'm almost sure that I heard blastbeats at some point lol. Now, wouldn't that be cool, eh? ;D

Gotta disagree, man. Screams and blastbeasts don't belong in Symphony X's music...

Yeah I pretty much hate russel's new vocals. He sounds unintelligent and brutish.

As for the other parts of the song it seems alright. Prometheus is the name of a 2012 film, the prequel to Alien directed by Ridley Scott. It's a huge project, i wonder if it's just a coincidence..

Non-PL instruments, PL vocals? Err... what?

I think the instrumental first minute of the song, for example, sounds pretty much like the Symphony X I love. Most of Paradise Lost didn't... I don't like the vocals here and on PL because there too much screamy shit. Russell is possibly my favourite vocalist when he sings with a clean voice, but Russell screaming just annoys me... He doesn't need this, nor does the band.

To me Symphony X is perfectly balanced music, not aggression.

I think the instrumental first minute of the song, for example, sounds pretty much like the Symphony X I love. Most of Paradise Lost didn't... I don't like the vocals here and on PL because there too much screamy shit. Russell is possibly my favourite vocalist when he sings with a clean voice, but Russell screaming just annoys me... He doesn't need this, nor does the band.

Well said. To me Russel's vocals sound childish and somehow pretentious. I can't take it seriously and it is annoying to listen to.

The beginning of dehumanized and Prometheus are too similar to me (vocals)..

Is this what Russel meant by his experimenting with some "rhythmic" stuff? It's god awful so far.

I find this opinion extremely strange because Russell has been using a gritty vocal style in every faster/heavier song Symphony X has made until now. He might've left the 80's crotch squelcher out of the newer albums, but I don't see what's so new and strange about the gritty vocals? You guys new to SX?

I havnt listened to the song yet cuz im at work, but when someone mentioned a scream, the first thing that came to mind was the scream in king of terrors right before the instremental part that leads into the solo section. Is it something like that? If so, no big deal

I havnt listened to the song yet cuz im at work, but when someone mentioned a scream, the first thing that came to mind was the scream in king of terrors right before the instremental part that leads into the solo section. Is it something like that? If so, no big deal
I'm afraid it sounds quite like something that you'd expect from Ihsahn rather than Russell Allen, but it's most likely because of the BAD quality. Sound is overall very, very distorted on that clip.

I find this opinion extremely strange because Russell has been using a gritty vocal style in every faster/heavier song Symphony X has made until now.

I admit that 'gritty vocals' aren't exactly new, but there's a difference between screamy vocals dominating a song and some rougher parts here and there that are actually (most of the time) functional as building up intensity. For example, The Divine Wings of Tragedy has a screamy section comparable to the vocals on Paradise Lost. It lasts for 23 seconds, which is easily bearable (on a 21 minute song!) and a crucial step towards the instrumental climax of the song.

And definately not all the fast/heavy songs had such vocals. Damnation Game, Wicked and Evolution are good examples. Even if there are such vocals in older songs, in most cases there's still a lot of melody. I can't understand how you can not notice the difference in vocal style.

There's nothing 'less intelligent' about screaming/unclean vocals. Get over it.

There's nothing 'less intelligent' about screaming/unclean vocals. Get over it.

I didn't say that, I said RUSSEL's vocals sound less intelligent..

My favorite bands are Wintersun, Ensiferum, old In Flames. I love "unclean" vocals. I just don't like how Russel sounds. The emotion doesn't seem to fit.

Can't really tell to much whats going on with the new song, but the intro sounds pretty bad ass.

As far as the whole Allen growls controversy. If anyone listened to his most recent interview, he clearly states that he likes the growls, and heavier, rhaspy vocals alot. But he won't resort to screaming. Though, a scream at a certain part I don't count. I'm sure neither will he. I think you guys are digging to deep, I love Allen's Rhasp. Though I love diversity, so I hope to hear some soft vocals.