In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

With eyes wide open. Usually, a ballad us meant to raise the feelings from the listener. I think this song fails in every aspect. It's not emotive, the intro melody is really weak and the solo melodies are boring and not emotive at all. As for Anders, mid pop mid alt rock verses in which he tries to bring some emotion with his singing but I think this kind of singing just doesn't suit him. An example for me to be understood. I think that Anders brings more feeling with his screams (or what would be screams if he could) and simpler melodies like in the last chorus from Rusted Nail than with this kind of singing.

One of the worst songs from the album.

I think it's one of the best songs on SC. It is gay as fuck, and Anders voice can't really carry the chorus (once again, this is gonna sound so shitty live), but I like it. No terrible parts.

I think it's one of the best songs on SC. It is gay as fuck, and Anders voice can't really carry the chorus (once again, this is gonna sound so shitty live), but I like it. No terrible parts.

Same here. Chorus is tolerable on the album thanks to studio magic, but yeah, live it'll be pretty bad :D

Sorry but I don't understand what d'you mean. I was joking about this thread going religious.

But, the greek god of the sea is Poseidon, Persephone is the goddess of the underworld. And Anders talks about God with G in capitals, wich is usually used to refer to Jeovah or Yaveh, god of the Jewish, Christians and Muslims.

Edit: also, after carefully reading the lyrics, I don't think Anders is talking about Sirens or sailors.

Holyshit.. I wrote it out wrong, I meant to say the god of the underworld.

The song is about being tired of trying to get charmed into god-belief, such as sailors in greek mythology is charmed to being drowned. I saw my original post was way out of hand. I blame tiredness.

Pretty good. If you jam enough at drop a# tunning, you can compose an ASOP song. Even I can create IF riffs :D

I have a Variax 600 modeling guitar with two bank knobs dedicated to In Flames.

first bank: pos 1 3 5 is Bjorn's LP custom in C standard pos 2 is acoustic in C standard, 4 was a Super Strat in B standard (was for soilwork)

second bank: pos 1 3 5 is Bjorn's LP custom in Drop A# pos 2 is acoust in drop A# pos 4 is Drop G for Transparent.

Guitar tone is my custom Colony tone on Guitar Rig 5 using the 5150 amp sim.
Quad tracked rhythm and 2-3 leads (2 for stereo, 1 for mono)

Some people complain about Anders sounding whiney in his singing sometimes, but I think it can make or break a song. Good example is Come Clarity's chorus, he is expressive in his voice but it makes the song that much better.

If it fits for a song then it's fine, there's nothing wrong with having emotional inflections in singing in a song especially if it really calls for it.

Of course, that's my own opinion.

By now, I would say that my favourite songs are:

-Rusted Nail (I don't get why so much shit on this song, I don't think is that bad and, the fails it could have are the same that we can find throughout the album).
-Filtered Truth.
-The Chase.

And still are songs that I don't stand much listenings. (As an example, I've been listening to SOAPF for the past 3 years minimum twice a month).

Rusted Nail is actually OK. It's pretty close to SOAPF standard, chorus is a typical modern catchy In Flames chorus, well executed.

I also quite like 2:40 - 3:50 of Dead Eyes. For once the instrumental guitar fits in perfectly with the rest of the song, rather than sounding like Generic In Flames Solo #44.

The only thing rusty is your pants, Clay poo.

Great review from AMG. He gave the album a 1.5/5 and summed things up nicely...

"But the biggest problem though, is that the band has no clue at all as to what to be. If you don’t want to create another Whoracle or The Jester Race Part II, that’s fine. But when you have bands transcending their older sound but keeping the feel of their earlier albums intact, fans follow and respect that immensely. It’s like In Flames doesn’t know how to do that, and in all fairness, it was a huge problem well before their last original member, guitarist Jesper Strömblad, quit the band in 2010."

The only thing rusty is your pants, Clay poo.

"But the biggest problem though, is that the band has no clue at all as to what to be. If you don’t want to create another Whoracle or The Jester Race Part II, that’s fine. But when you have bands transcending their older sound but keeping the feel of their earlier albums intact, fans follow and respect that immensely. It’s like In Flames doesn’t know how to do that, and in all fairness, it was a huge problem well before their last original member, guitarist Jesper Strömblad, quit the band in 2010."

Thanks Uneasy_Faggot, totally wasn't a joke.

Agree

I disagree with this. The band clearly it knows what it wants to be, a modern melodic metal band. They recognise that the new albums are different to JR or Whoracle and have no problem with this. They stated that 1000 times and said that if people don't like it fine if yes then join the party. I understand if people think the album is good/bad but the above comment is wrong as support for giving the album a bad rating.

I disagree with this. The band clearly it knows what it wants to be, a modern melodic metal band. They recognise that the new albums are different to JR or Whoracle and have no problem with this. They stated that 1000 times and said that if people don't like it fine if yes then join the party. I understand if people think the album is good/bad but the above comment is wrong as support for giving the album a bad rating.

If they wanted to be a modern melodic metal band they would've created something at least equal to the quality of Sounds of a Playground Fading

It's 1996 all over again :kickass:

Vocals sound a bit weird, but it's been nearly 20 years so I'll give the guy a break :D

It sounds like a real continuation of SOTS, although with a bit more modernized production. Also in that song at least, he's screaming in a bit lower pitch, but I like it a lot. He used to only death growl with Grotesque before ATG, so maybe he'll throw out a few of those, would be nice.

Fuck yeah! Melodic death with some death actually in it.

Nothing groundbreaking, but instantly recognizable, feral and powerful.

8-8.5/10.

I don't think AWWR will outshine the new Carcass record, but damn, can't wait to hear the whole album.

Yes. The fuck is wrong with people? WHY do they think an album HAS to sound somewhat similar to The Jester Race? It really fucking doesn't.

Stop making up fake rules for music, people.

Yes. The fuck is wrong with people? WHY do they think an album HAS to sound somewhat similar to The Jester Race? It really fucking doesn't.

Stop making up fake rules for music, people.

You're talking about maybe 10% of people who dislike the newer stuff and they're the hardcore strict melodic death metal nerds