In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Got to listen to "Everything is Gone" on Sirius/XM here in the states.

Fuckin WAAAAYYYY better than Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion although to be fair, Through Oblivion is more of a chill song.

Screams were real heavy in this song, nice heavy lead riff and choruses vocally were nice and brutal. A bit heavier than the screams on ASOP and SOAPF

Cleans in the verses were pretty nu-metalish but clear sounding and reminded me of the style of singing Anders did on Reroute and STYE

Some faith has def been restored in the new record. It's not 15 years ago, but it's still metal.

In Anders' interview posted earlier, he said the company basically picked what singles we'd hear first. I really think they should've released "Everything is Gone" as one of the singles because that way at least people would see that they're still relatively heavy and not hammer them so bad online about it.

Good to hear. I saw IF posted on twitter that sirius xm was going to play a song. I looked it up today but couldn't find anyone that had ripped the song sadly, or what song was played or anything at all so thanks for the information about that.

You didn't by any chance save it, or can you listen to the track again and record it?

On the first listening, the album seemed really awful, all songs were like Neo/Rock ballads and Anders' constant whining was getting boring only after two tracks.
That might be surprising but the two singles are the songs that are the more reminiscent of In Flames so far.
There's this track "Dead Eyes" you'll probably find awful because of its chorus. And there's also "When the World Explodes" with its lyric female singing that just sounds weird and out of place.

However after about ten listenings I can tell you I appreciate most of the album but I don't really listen to it as an "In Flames album", it is clearly too different for me. That's more some chill-out Rock album with easy-listening and catchy tunes.
I've already made some ranking of the tracks:
- the ones I don't like because they're boring and basic:
Everything's Gone (bad Neo/Metalcore)
Siren Charms (plein dull)

- the mediocre ones with only some catchy hooks:
Through Oblivion
With Eyes Wide Open
Rusted Nail

- the more dynamic and better written ones:
In Plain View
Monsters In The Ballroom
Filtered Truth
The Chase

- the ones that keep getting better and better:
When The World Explodes
Paralyzed
Dead Eyes
Become The Sky

About the solos I think you can forget them. Björn always uses pedals and it's annoying as hell. As I've written on the track-by-track, the one from "Filtered Truth" is the more decent one (not counting the bonus tracks which are definitely superior).

Riffs are mostly basic modern riffs like we've already heard on Sounds Of A Playground Fading, nothing to really be amazed at. Some are efficient and groovy though.

As for the melodies it depends on what you like. Lead guitars are mostly in the background in the mix and synths are very present. That creates catchy melodies at times and that's it. My favorite ones are the riff from "Become The Sky" which really gets in your head, and all the arrangements on "When The World Explodes" which are perhaps eerie but also daunting.

Don't expect any groundbreaking songwriting.

Well this sounds promising, sort of... This is definitely the last new album i will be listening to from IF though. I didn't like the 2 singles much and while i like some tracks off of ASOP and SOAPF, they were not really anything special imo.

Well this sounds promising, sort of... This is definitely the last new album i will be listening to from IF though. I didn't like the 2 singles much and while i like some tracks off of ASOP and SOAPF, they were not really anything special imo.

If you still like at least a few tracks per album why wouldn't you keep listening to those tracks then? :p

I have some bands where I only like 5 songs out of like 5 albums total but I still listen the shit out of those songs.

EDIT: Hi btw spineshank155, good to see you joined the forum. I'm dikdiel13 from last fm :)

If you still like at least a few tracks per album why wouldn't you keep listening to those tracks then? :p

I have some bands where I only like 5 songs out of like 5 albums total but I still listen the shit out of those songs.

EDIT: Hi btw spineshank155, good to see you joined the forum. I'm dikdiel13 from last fm :)

Hi dikdiel13! :wave: Wow, small world here. Well it's mostly because i want to remember In Flames for the early records and if there are some decent tracks on the new album then for sure i will be listening to those. And while i do like some tracks off of ASOP and SOAPF i don't like them as much as the material before then. Though i did scrobble/listened to SOAPF recently.

My recording software crashed right beforehand.

They said it was supposed to come on at midnight so I sat there for an hour and a half until 1:30am for it to finally come on. It also came out of nowhere as well so I would've missed the oppurunity to record it in time anyway.

I tried looking for someone who might've ripped it but no luck.

Worst case scenario we'll have to wait until Sept.

The screams in the chorus were much more brutal than expected, kind of like A New Dawn but even harder it was great to hear

Everything's Gone sounds nu metalish, but at least this song is listenable and it's different as well. Not the best track, but it's better than the previous two tracks.

Everything's Gone sounds nu metalish, but at least this song is listenable and it's different as well. Not the best track, but it's better than the previous two tracks.

Exactly. Still heavy enough with a hard hitting chorus that will sound better with high def quality from the actual record.

Also, the cleans were still better than how Trivium's Strife sounded in the studio version lololol

Will blast this in my car.

Thanks for the link. That was a solid track, nice death metal riff quite unlike any IF riffs I've heard. But I hope that's a radio rip quality upload, because it sounds very mudded compared to the first 2 singles, and you can barely hear the lead guitar melody.

Cool solo, sounds very different from the usual In Flames solos.

Super weird structured chorus as well but I like it.

Probably one of the ''heaviest'' songs IF has ever done, riffwise. Would be even better if Anders used his low-pitched death growl in the verses instead of the spoken cleans.

That sounds like a song that can be fucking awesome to hear live.

EDIT: Damn that chorus is amazing, it's really growing on me after 3 listens. Will be even better with studio quality also. The way the vocals are layered in the chorus makes it really cool.
''I'm the one who brought the mountain down
Tore it piece by piece down''

I love the ''who brought the mountain'' part, catchy as hell.

Thanks for the link. That was a solid track, nice death metal riff quite unlike any IF riffs I've heard. But I hope that's a radio rip quality upload, because it sounds very mudded compared to the first 2 singles, and you can barely hear the lead guitar melody.

Cool solo, sounds very different from the usual In Flames solos.

Super weird structured chorus as well but I like it.

Probably one of the ''heaviest'' songs IF has ever done, riffwise. Would be even better if Anders used his low-pitched death growl in the verses instead of the spoken cleans.

That sounds like a song that can be fucking awesome to hear live.

EDIT: Damn that chorus is amazing, it's really growing on me after 3 listens. Will be even better with studio quality also. The way the vocals are layered in the chorus makes it really cool.
''I'm the one who brought the mountain down
Tore it piece by piece down''

I love the ''who brought the mountain'' part, catchy as hell.

This song live def will be way better than ropes or fear is the weakness, those songs were way too weak and boring live. The hard hitting chorus in Everything's Gone and main guitar riffing are way heavier and will be much more explosive on stage.

EG impressions:

- interesting to hear IF doing some death metal riffs
- I REALLY liked the chorus, music AND vocals
- solo section sounded promising for the first few seconds
- rest of the song is just random shit not worth remembering

Yes it is.

I may be the only one, but I don't hear any 'death metal' riffing going on at all. I hear heavy at times numetal riffing. The chorus is put together in an interesting way but is numetal as well. Overall I give it a 4/10. Compared to something like Zombie Inc, which is a 10/10.

^ Pretty much my thoughts. One of the worst track of the album. Perhaps you're relived listening to some heavier stuff after Through Oblivion and Rusted Nail but I find Everynthing's Gone boring and it seems like they didn't even know how to end the track.

Yes it is.

I may be the only one, but I don't hear any 'death metal' riffing going on at all. I hear heavy at times numetal riffing. The chorus is put together in an interesting way but is numetal as well. Overall I give it a 4/10. Compared to something like Zombie Inc, which is a 10/10.

The intro riffs are nu-metalish but the verse riff is definitely a DM-like riff to my ears.

And I knew I remembered that riff at 0:11 from somewhere PlainVanilla, it is indeed very similar to Black & White.

^ Pretty much my thoughts. One of the worst track of the album. Perhaps you're relived listening to some heavier stuff after Through Oblivion and Rusted Nail but I find Everynthing's Gone boring and it seems like they didn't even know how to end the track.
The good news for people like me who enjoy Everything's Gone is that since you rated it very low, it makes my hope rise a lot more for the other songs since I really like Everything's Gone.

Everything is Gone...

OK, so they've actually 100% ripped off the black and white intro. Good start.

First minute, yawn.

Chorus is alright.

Fell asleep again.

Woke up for the solo, nice little section.

It's better than Rusted Rod and Through Oblivion, then then so is Oops I did It Again.

This doesn't drop until September ... won't all the songs be leaked by then?

Just heard something cool, not related to the album though. I recently fell in love with Mastodon a lot, saw an interview with the guitarist Bill Keliher, and apparently he, Björn and Mikael from Opeth has had plans to collaborate, but as of yet they haven't started seriously writing riffs and such. That would be a fucking awesome collaboration in my eyes and very interesting how it would turn out. Bill said that when he talked about sending a riff or something to Björn, Björn apparently said as long as it's metal or something along those lines. Bill said he did start writing some riffs but he wasn't happy and wanted to write a perfect riff before he sent anything around.

It's probably not going to happen anytime in the very near future since IF is just starting their huge world tour in 2 months, but maybe Björn will write something in the few days off at home, who knows.

I like the riffs. Reminds me of Pestilence's previous album. Very straight up death metal-esque.

Also people saying the intro is black and white, I don't hear it. The structure of the riff might be a bit the same in terms of rhythm, but that's it.