In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

I agree about the mumbled/spoken parts, but he doesn't really do it that much anymore. Weird part is I love Clayman though, and he literally overdubbed almost all of the verses in the songs on the album with the mumbling talk.

I loved that as well. I thought it was kind of a signature thing he did until he completely dropped it after Soundtrack To Your Escape. He did it on some Reroute tracks.

I think he overdubbed a lot of the vocals on Clayman to give it a thicker sound, and it honestly works well. I kind of wish he did this again, it really fit him, but I guess he grew out of it. Any of the stuff that gets close sounds thickly accented and strange. It's really weird to think about how his voice projection is so different than it was back then.

Listen to the first few seconds of Black & White and then the riff at 12 seconds. Virtually the same riff.

Ok I kind of hear it more now. The drum beat is exactly the same. The riff's rhythm is the same, the notes are different though. I can see your point. That is kind of embarassing. I still like the song a lot though, even more than Black & White.

Yeah, I like it a lot too. I like all 3 songs so far but then again I'm not listening to them over and over again until the whole album is out. Then I'll listen a lot and see how much I like them.

I downloaded through oblivion off youtube, and am listening to a stream of everything is gone.

Still think Everything Is Gone sounds like something off of Pestilence's Resurrection Macabre mixed with SOAPF.

Was listening to "Minus" today, you can definitely hear the spoken-word vocals over the verses and choruses. Too bad "modern" In Flames songs won't ever have the proper feel or sound to bring the real Anders Friden vocal style back.

Was listening to "Minus" today, you can definitely hear the spoken-word vocals over the verses and choruses. Too bad "modern" In Flames songs won't ever have the proper feel or sound to bring the real Anders Friden vocal style back.

Trust me, he will never do that stuff again.

I have accepted they'll never really do melodic death again. It's been 14 years since clayman. It's time to accept that. There will be stuff that resembles older days, but never, ever expect another clayman song, or anything around that time.

It's cool when he's done the mumbly stuff very sporadically during the last couple albums.

The thing is, he is definitely capable of doing it, it's just that he obviously doesn't want to do it because it bores him since he's already done it so much and I guess he wants to try explore new areas with his vocals instead of doing the same thing twice. That's why every album has a remarkably (imo) difference in the vocals. I would say Colony & Clayman sound the most alike vocally, probably because they're only 13 months apart from each other.

only4theweak, what is the ''real anders'' vocal style? :O The spoken parts or the vocals on R2R or what do you mean? I'd say it's always been the real Anders, just with different approaches to his ''instrument''. He's definitely always has had a unique voice whether it's Whoracle or ASOP, not many other people that sound similar to him. Whether you like it or not is another thing though.

I'd say more Whoracle/Colony are closest vocally. His harsh vocals were deep growls then, but changed to a more higher pitch scream on Clayman.

only4theweak, what is the ''real anders'' vocal style? :O The spoken parts or the vocals on R2R or what do you mean? I'd say it's always been the real Anders, just with different approaches to his ''instrument''. He's definitely always has had a unique voice whether it's Whoracle or ASOP, not many other people that sound similar to him. Whether you like it or not is another thing though.

It's just weird how his technique changed SO much between Clayman and Reroute. It's why it seems like a different person at times. Even though Clayman and Reroute have very close screams, the way he pronounces things, the way he delivers things, the saturation of his screams. They're different.

Even when he did the mumbly thing, especially on Dawn of A New Day, his accent is so thick compared to, say Satellites and Astronauts.
His accent has been incredibly thick ever since Reroute. Even when he's talking during shows, it sounded different.

I'd say more Whoracle/Colony are closest vocally. His harsh vocals were deep growls then, but changed to a more higher pitch scream on Clayman.

I think there's a lot of difference between Whoracle and Colony. His growls on Colony are way more saturated, focused and are a bit higher in pitch. He even admitted he killed his voice on Embody the Invisible, and the rest of the album, which is probably why he struggled a bit on Clayman and a lot of live shows.

While they sounded amazing, his technique was pretty harsh on his voice. If it's going to make you a mute down the road, what's the point?

I think there's a lot of difference between Whoracle and Colony. His growls on Colony are way more saturated, focused and are a bit higher in pitch. He even admitted he killed his voice on Embody the Invisible, and the rest of the album, which is probably why he struggled a bit on Clayman and a lot of live shows.

Oh, I agree. I just feel those two albums might be the closest. But obviously every album is different.

Anybody got a link to Everything's Gone? It's the one song I'm yet to hear, and everyone on here seems to have heard it! Would be much appreciated! Curious to hear this "death metal" Black and White cover haha

I thought the video was very cool. One of their better music videos IMO. And the song has grown as well, that chorus really is nice. Still think they verses sound a bit weird. Not bad or good, somewhere in between for now.

The chorus is OK. Problem is In Flames have been writing catchy chorus's since Reroute to Remain. There are plenty of songs in their back catalogue that are just as catchy with far superior song-writing. This is new but as far as I'm concerned it isn't fresh at all, it's the same metal-pop they've been churning out for years.

The verses on this song, imo, completely ruin it. They're really lazy and the vocals don't really fit in at all. With better verses the song would at least be on par with the SOAPF stuff.

Video is OK. Song, chorus excluded, is bad. Like 4/10 bad. Still better than the other two we've heard so far.

Music has absolutely no connection whatsoever with stuff I liked about In Flames. This is just average pop (really guys, there are a lot of artists out there doing this thing much better) with electric guitars and a bad singer.

This is not about genre change (though I would like to hear IF doing what they do best), tr00 metalz, growls or cleans, heavy or mellow... (I listen to pretty much everything, from classical and pop, to brutal death metal and obscure progressive post-whatever bands) This is about good music and bad music. This is bad music. Boring, lifeless, meaningless, non-inspirational, lazy shit.

No amount of youtube views, fb likes, or kids screaming "Nflamez fukking ruleeeez" will ever change that. At least it will be forgotten in 5-10 years along with all other generic pop thrown our way these days.

You know, this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JipHEz53sU

... has 415 million views, expensive production, catchy chorus and a singer far superior to Anders, but it's still shit and it made no impact on genre or history of music.

Spot on A88.

What's frustrating is that we all know In Flames have the talent to be far, far better than this. It's not about them going "back to teh r00ts!!111!!" or producing another TJR/Whoracle. I wouldn't want them to because their hearts wouldn't be in it and I don't believe they could write great metal songs like that nowadays even if they wanted to. That lightning escaped from the bottle after Clayman.

No, it's nothing to do with them going back to what they were before. I have accepted that they have moved on and I'm fine with that. I genuinely enjoyed SOAPF as an album and thought it was their best work in some time. If they made an album of that quality again I wouldn't complain at all.

What I don't want is another half-assed, psuedo-pop-rock monstrosity like A Sense of Purpose. That album represented everything that was wrong with In Flames new direction (imo) and it was personally refreshing to hear the energy and passion SOAPF seemed to bring to the table. Sure, Anders can't pull of the singing live, but fuck it. I don't want to see them live now anyway.

Everything I've heard from the new album so far suggests it is very much back to the formulated, nu-metal infested shitfest that plagued ASOP and that's a huge disappointment for me. I'd love to be wrong but the first three songs I've heard off this album are, to me, all massive steps backwards. If this is what they're going to produce going forward I'd rather they had ended their career with SOAPF rather than branch out into a direction that is, in my view, way above their station and beyond their scope as a band.

I'll just say...going from Man Made God to lets-fuck-around-with-random-notes-and-wah-pedal solos is NOT an upgrade.