In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

We touched on this earlier but with "Siren Charms," In Flames has really changed the perception of what a Swedish melodic death metal band sounds like.

LOL, Swedish melodic "death metal" band.

Good interview.

If you're gonna have a solo in a song, make sure it counts. Putting a solo in there because you're lazy or don't have enough lyrics, it's the wrong way to do it I think

It's important if you're gonna put time and effort into a solo, it needs to be something that stands out.

Not funny.

I like the wah.

True.

...Hansa Studios [U2, David Bowie] ....

Being in Berlin for six weeks and being in that fantastic studio where all these fantastic records had been made, it adds something to it. I can't really put my finger on what it is. I know it helped Anders a very big deal to be there and get the atmosphere and to have something to get in the right mood I think.

Yeah, right mood. :D

Guess we have the next ''official'' single then. Really cool and unusual artwork IMO.

10559787_682265961852108_6825206600418961830_n.jpg

That artwork does not match the song in any way whatsoever :D but it is badass.

That was a great interview by Bjorn, really interesting. At least he admits the band are still lazy, as I suspected :D although it's mainly because they exhaust themselves touring, by the sounds of it.

I think we all knew this was coming at some point or another. Haha.

Not as funny or imaginative as I thought it'd be.

Well actually it could be funnier than that :D

As Hitler says "Lets put our trust in the new At The Gates album" lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Another funny/interesting story from a 2008 interview with Björn.

How did you become a member of In Flames?
It’s my cousin’s fault. He was friends with Jesper. They grew up together and went to school together and shared the same music tastes, like thrash metal and hard hitting stuff. I was also into that, but in a totally different area of town. I never knew about Jesper until my cousin told me about a friend who was starting a band and needed a drummer. I didn’t know if I wanted to do it. I got there and we jammed a bit and tried out some ideas. I thought it really wasn’t my style. It was a bit too hectic for me. They recorded the first album, and I got really pissed because I missed the opportunity. It sounded great. It sounded really melodic. It was nothing like we had tried out in the rehearsal space. I was really into the album. Then I got offered to do it again, and this time I wasn’t going to let it go. I understood how to combine this aggressive drumming with all the melodies in the music.

The thing I think about both this new record and Sounds, is that since Jesper's departure, the songwriting style has changed into a style that is a bit more freestyle in nature, and sometimes clashes in a way that doesn't sound as thought out, as though the song doesn't achieve the full picture that it's going for... and oftentimes, the beautiful intros just don't seem to match with the song at all, like on Rusted Nail. The guitars become too jarring.

Overall, it simply sounds like an extra member or better producer could now shape the songs into better executions, that a little more time needs to be spent on the tracks.

Other than that, I believe In Flames are still a pretty decent band, and I can still really groove to their songs. They do sound quite weaker in songwriting strength than they did on A Sense Of Purpose (a record I personally really loved, especially the song Chosen Pessimist), and I do think they need to change up the sound a little bit once more (the Sense Of Purpose sound is no longer sounding as strong and well thought-out), but generally, they're still pretty good.

I think that Rusted Nail has a really catchy chorus once you really digest that it's not as catchy as In Flame's usual hits. Anders still has quite a bit of vocal swagger about him, and he can still write a catchy chorus. Through Oblivion really has some great keyboards and manages to sound like old-school In Flames in that sense, though I think a better execution of ideas could have packed so much emotion and timelessness into what is currently a bit of a sloppy chorus in terms of Ander's lines and just how they are layered and lined up.

From what I hear so far though, I am excited about the new release, and I feel like they're will be at least 6 tracks I really like, which is about the usual for an In Flames release. At this point, though, I really do think In Flames should try for something huge, big, extreme, and experimental with the next release.

Even an acoustic album, like the song Come Clarity, would probably be a breath of fresh air!

Just saw this at In Flames's Twitter page:

BtLj09BIAAAMBmz.jpg

"Here's another thing from the mid 90's. Why did they ever evolve?"

Nice one lol

Taotrac, you might really like ASOP, but that doesn't mean it has better song writing. Most songs on that album have the same exact structure. If you like it better, that's your own taste and your right. But you honestly can't say it has better writing. And why should they try something huge with their next album? I'm sure a lot would argue that they already do with each album. In Flames is one of the few bands that change so drastically album to album. Now, Bodom and Kalmah are bands that maybe should do something huge and different. I personally like all their music, but they don't really change much album to album.

Just saw this at In Flames's Twitter page:

BtLj09BIAAAMBmz.jpg

"Here's another thing from the mid 90's. Why did they ever evolve?"

Nice one lol

Bit of a backwards analogy, or just an intentional misunderstanding.

In the case of In Flames it's like going from having a top of the range smartphone to a 1980's brick that has the most annoying ringtone ever.

If you want some real, fresh melodeath forget about In Flames and listen to Wolfheart. It's like a blend of early Kalmah, In Flames and Insomnium. Better than Before the Dawn and his other bands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be'Lakor is fucking awesome. Got into them last year, the last album is amazing and the production on it as well. Stone's Reach is equally good music wise, but I can't really stand the sub-par production on it.

Stone's Reach was better. I was a bit disappointed with Of Breath and Bone. It's OK, but nothing really stands out. Production is good.

I just read that new interview with Bjorn. What a jerk. On Siren Charms: 'This is where we are right now and it's a great statement and summarization of everything we've done without looking back to the roots.'

I just read that new interview with Bjorn. What a jerk. On Siren Charms: 'This is where we are right now and it's a great statement and summarization of everything we've done without looking back to the roots.'

Reading comprehension not even once