Katatonia: Overrated in the underground community?

Katatonia: Overrated in the underground community?

• Yes.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters
i will say that there is a place for not clothing what you want to say in fifteen layers of clumsy simile and metaphor as metal bands are wont to do

jonas renkse is actually a very skilled lyricist and i believe he knows when he's being banal and is doing it for effect

this is not warning or 40 watt sun, this is the real shit right here

they ARE named Katatonia ... wtf you guys expect.

can we sticky this thread as the last thing ever on RC?

If you don't like Tonight's Decision then GTFO. Regarding the new one, I'm still enjoying it. The chrous on Undo You is sex on my ears.

Like I said, I used to LOVE it. Then I ...evolved I guess. I dunno. And I think the songwriting is fucking terrible too. Basic verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus. So repetitive.

Even The Great Cold Distance is a stretch. I remember loving it when it first came out but the infatuation died quickly.. there's just something about it. Individually the songs are all quite good, but if I try and sit down and listen to it as a whole.. ugh. The singles released during that era are great though much like previous ones, especially My Twin with Dissolving Bonds and Displaced.

I honestly stopped listening to new Katatonia albums after The Great Cold Distance. I'll take that one and Brave Murder Day and be very happy. The others were very nice for a solid lengthy spell after I picked them up, but they don't really "do" it for me anymore I guess.

Note: I have not heard the new one, the last one, or Discouraged Ones. So that's like, my opinion, man. And now that I've said that, I'd probably scoop all three up just to check them out anyhow. Why the hell not?

I really dig their early EPs (For Funerals To Come, Sounds Of Decay, the one about Meth). No one ever talks about them, it seems.

Holy crap I didn't even realize I bought Night is the New Day awhile back. It came up on an mp3 disc on a drive earlier today and I thought "WTF?!"

I changed it after just a few tracks, I vaguely remember not liking it a year or two ago. The Great Cold Distance is definitely :kickass: material still.

So it turns out that Night is the New Day is pretty rockin' stuff. YOU WERE WRONG AGAIN NAD.

New one comes out tomorrow? I suppose I'll be scooping it up. Yippie / Skippie / Dippie / Etc.

ok ive listened to Tonight's Decision several times and there are some pretty awesome songs there, as well as some pretty meh songs. further listens will probably change some of those into awesomes. i should probably check out some of these early EPs you guys are talking about as well.

So it turns out that Night is the New Day is pretty rockin' stuff. YOU WERE WRONG AGAIN NAD.

Nah bro, you were right the first time. This band has turned in to complete horseshit after TGCD. Their latest two instill a depth of anger akin to what bubbles in my veins when I hear a negar hop sex serenade, or a metalcore jump da fuck around screamo diddy.

Nah bro, you were right the first time. This band has turned in to complete horseshit after TGCD. Their latest two instill a depth of anger akin to what bubbles in my veins when I hear a negar hop sex serenade, or a metalcore jump da fuck around screamo diddy.

you are a butt