Katatonia: Overrated in the underground community?

Katatonia: Overrated in the underground community?

• Yes.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters
lurchcamp.jpg

this new album is very very very un-heavy

i never thought katatonia was at their best doing the softer stuff, so i'm not feeling this at the moment

It sounds really sparse, as if the songs weren't totally "there" and they just filled in the spaces with keys and such. Jonas seems bored on vocals. Hopefully it will improve with time.

It sounds really sparse, as if the songs weren't totally "there" and they just filled in the spaces with keys and such. Jonas seems bored on vocals. Hopefully it will improve with time.

Listened a few times at work last night, and I'm gonna mostly take all of this back. Really digging it. I guess I'm a true Katatonia fanboy.

yeah last two times i said katatonia albums were kind of meh i had to eat my words so this time i'm going to shut up for a whiole

Fuck Katatonia. I used to really dig Fair Deal, Tonight's Decision, and the other one of that era. I tried listening to them a couple years back again and thought it was some of the worst shit ever. And the lyrics make me cringe. Terrible.

i listened to dance of december souls a shitload for a few weeks back in june/july and brave murder day, less brutal, still awesome. so i check out discouraged ones and its not doing much for me, vocals are pretty rough. did he get better at singing? are the other soft rock albums better?

i listened to dance of december souls a shitload for a few weeks back in june/july and brave murder day, less brutal, still awesome. so i check out discouraged ones and its not doing much for me, vocals are pretty rough. did he get better at singing? are the other soft rock albums better?

yes he did get better at singing but the other albums are not necessarily better

theyve basically got 3 eras in the clean bit

first: discouraged ones & tonight's decision, both of these are really good and pretty simple music-wise
then: last fair deal gone down, which sucks and is bad music
lastly: viva emptiness, the great cold distance, night is the new day, and dead end kings, which are more "modern" and "more professional" and feature much better singing but they're actually still good

you should prob. check out tonights decision next, if you dont like this youre wrong :)wave: doomsniffer)

Last edited by a moderator: