Languages and those who violate them

fireangel said:
Concerning Ali G. I think some people have not realized that this all is extremely ironic and that he uses this language also to point at urgent topics and to cover his critics in a very fun-way. Ali G is very politically and socially aware, and this show couple of times made me lay on the floor and laugh for longer while ;D This is really brilliant.
Sad though, when people (mis)understand it as an idea about what language is "cool", like you explained here.

You're right, he is very clever at what he does, and can be funny, but unfortunately maybe in some cases he's too good with the satire, because your average 'wikked' moron doesn't realise he's being satirised, he just thinks people of his ilk must be cool, if someone acting like them gets put on TV, and that he should keep being an utter fucking plank for the rest of his days..

@destroyer: you might as well stop listening to metal, if you don't want to hear 'blood' anymore. :D

I hate it when people write posts in forums and use language like "Wut bands do u compare ur self to.......and wut bands r similiar to u ? ? ?"
The use of "ur" and "r" and "u" may be acceptable in texts where you're only allowed to use 160 characters or something, but in a long post? I've seen people write endless essays using these abbrevations and several others, and frankly I can't read it, it's too annoying.

Omg! STFU! LOLOL!!!!!11

err, well, back to the topic like, innit? :)

the worst thing germans have done to their language lately is the adaption of the 's from english language. "martin's car" would translate to "martins car", but seemingly no one knows that any more. and if that by itself isn't such a big deal, well, really clever germans tend to apostroph every fucking s at the end of a word, regardles's whether their homemade rule applie's or not. that's just totally ridiculou's.

Im word blind, and i kinda learn to spell by watching a word alot of times and I remember it, so I have alot of all peoples mistakes :p now lately I see alot of norweigen writing and norweigens use k alot where we in Denmark use g .. so sometimes I simply mezz up my own language by writing "kikker" instead of "kigger" forexample

Ooh, there's another one: "alot". ;) A lot of native English speakers do that, and even one teacher at my junior school did it. We actually taught her the proper way of writing it, it was quite bizarre at the time. Gods, we got cocky that year.

heard that about "alot" before. for a while i've actually been uncertain about what was the correct form, but i'm glad things were cleared up at some point. :)

and when i was in junior high, i ended up having to correct a substitute teacher for some gross mistakes. too bad back then i wasn't inclined to get cocky. ;)

no cocks, but i was an ass back in the days already. i don't really know when i started being such an asshole, but it probably was back in my mom's uterus, which would explain why they had to drag me out of there with force, a good two weeks later than when i was supposed to crawl out on my own. :)

It reminds me of one of the English teachers I've had these last 3 years... She's a very nice person and everything, the only problem is that her students, aged 16-18, know more English than she does... It was especially obvious in my class, since we all study a lot of languages and are fairly good at it, so we ended up having to correct her grammar and spelling mistakes quite a lot... Sometimes, when we wrote essays, I would get mine back with questionmarks next to certain words. The explanation for that was that she wasn't quite sure if these words existed... most of the time they did ;)
Now I have a different teacher (who is good, apart from some minor pronounciation issues) and take a different English course (preparation for Cambridge Certificate exam), but those who have the regular English have a teacher now who's a lot worse. I read a paper she had handed out to her students where she wrote some things about herself, and the part that made me laugh the loudest was when she was talking about her allergies and her "swallowed eyes". :D

@rahvin: Is this a trend?? We were both two weeks late, we're both crap at life (at least by your general admission, I'm not convinced). Did anyone pass out at your birth, like my old man did at mine??

Also: :lol: @ swallowed eyes

Rusty said:
@rahvin: Is this a trend?? We were both two weeks late, we're both crap at life (at least by your general admission, I'm not convinced). Did anyone pass out at your birth, like my old man did at mine??
apparently not, but rumours say my mom, after being asked whether she wanted the doctors to intervene and take me out or make one last try at a "natural birth", replied on the lines of "for fuck's sake do all you can to get this guy out of me quick because he's killing me".
also, i tried to strangulate myself with the umbilical cord already before birth. it's obvious i had a pretty good idea of what was to come. :)