Languages and those who violate them

a question for the russians: :D

is it correct to say "мне 22 лет"? i mean, using 'лет' instead of 'года'. i always thought of it as an outrageous (!) mistake, but today, a new student who lived several years in ukraine, claimed it's possible to use it, even in official papers.

Northern Lights said:
Concerning Ali G; irony is wasted on the youth today ;) The intelligence you need to understand it just isn't there... :p
The silliest thing is when people start mixing Ali G talk with Swedish, like so many white, middleclass 14-year-olds, "fjortisar", do today... I can't keep a straight face whenever I hear someone talking like that, it's too ridiculous. "Ei mannen, typ potatismos i hooden, bah liksom aiiight?"
Oh yes, the "I was like 'no'" has it's Swedish equal: "jag ba 'nej'" :D
no, nej, nyet...
No Means NO
or is it know?

bahahahahaha :p

Hmm... interesting interesting..
But what if you have a 6 instead of that 8?
can I still use 'лет' or do I have to switch to ''лемoдт' ?

:p ..you Russians and your crazy alphabet

Thanatos said:
I want you as my slave :)
Yeah, and I'd like to set foot on the moon this summer but that's just not going to happen buddy :)

Oh, I know. I hate how it seems to be perfectly acceptable to use "an" instead of "a" before words beginning with an "h" - such as "an historic moment" in news reports. It sounds so damn stupid, what's wrong with saying "a historic moment"?? You don't hear people going into pet-shops and saying "I'd like an housetrained dog please", so why do newsreporters feel they have to do such things?? And while we're on the subject of "h", I also hate how some people around here call it "haich" instead of "aich" (at least this one I know is a violation, the first one does seem fine unfortunately).

MagSec4 said:
My!.. what language!
Who taught you that, sweetheart?

..I bet it was those two Greek monks :p
Of course not! They merely sowed the seed, i took this form of art into higher levels on my own. :heh: :p

And btw, a violation that makes me pissed off, is the recent tendency of people to write "nuff" instead of "enough"...

I can't stand excessive 'abbreviations' of words in conversation either. It gets ridiculous in English with the majority of people in the U.S.
My own sister does this all the time!

In Spanish, a lot of people tend to abbreviate some things in the most jackassed of ways and, for some reason, changing all 'qu's to 'k's has become 'cool'
For example: "Por qué me dijiste que tú lo querías?" becomes "p k me dijiste k tu lo kerias?"
To me it looks ridiculous.

@magsec: maybe legende could confirm that this is getting popular in online colloquial french too... it crushes my very few chances of understanding conversations in that language. :(

What some people on tv (I notice it most on the sports news channel) are now doing is incredibly annoying. Instead of saying something like "Arsenal only managed a draw at the weekend", they'll say "Arsenal, they only managed a draw at the weekend", and they'll do it every single time. A typical example: "Arsenal, they only managed a draw at the weekend, but Chelsea, they couldn't capitalise and only drew themselves. Manchester United, their win moves them further up the table and United manager Alex Ferguson, he had this to say..." yadda yadda. EVERY TIME. I hate people.

MagSec4 said:
I can't stand excessive 'abbreviations' of words in conversation either. It gets ridiculous in English with the majority of people in the U.S.
My own sister does this all the time!

In Spanish, a lot of people tend to abbreviate some things in the most jackassed of ways and, for some reason, changing all 'qu's to 'k's has become 'cool'
For example: "Por qué me dijiste que tú lo querías?" becomes "p k me dijiste k tu lo kerias?"
To me it looks ridiculous.
Heh, people do that in french, too and I dont like it either. It's bad enough that I leave all the accents aside already :erk:
It's the same thing though "ki" instead of "qui" and "pkoi" instead of "pourquoi" pffffft