Mixtape Game ExTreME EdiTiON!

Witchaven - Ok riffs, can't stand the drums much, solo's sweet. Crappy thin production 6/10

Bathory - l like Bathory but at times the plodding fucking beat they use for everything grates on me. And its a boring plodding fucking beat. Maybe not on everything...but you know what l mean? 6/10

At the Gates - l have owned SOTS since it came out but because of that album i've never bothered checking out their other stuff. With this that's about to change. Kind of like how Consuming Impulse shits all over Testimony of the Ancients (and l like that album) this is killer. 9/10

Slauter Xstroyes - Cool Atheist vibe in the riffs and bass on this, l may have to check out more 8/10

Suffocation - People are only happy if its a tune from Effigy or Breeding but to me Suffo' are godz and this album brings back great memories of working in the misery of south London the year it came out (96? 97?) Love it 9/10

Hail Spirit Noir - l appreciate the try hard variation within this tune - love the bass - cool non metal interlude, then drowning itself out.
uh this is alt country a bit. these guys don't really want to be metal do they? 6/10

Exodus - fuck you this is thrash at its purist. Without tunes like this thrash wouldn't be here ...ok maybe that's a bit strong but this is the old essence of thrash as we know it. Turn it up 9/10

Helstar - oh man how many times have l seen this on vinyl or cd and gone 'nah' only to hear it now and kick myself for not taking the time to listen to this mini guitar masterpiece...this is something ld quite happily own and play once a year but be very glad l bought it in the first place...7/10

The Chasm - a band that doesn't know what it wants to be..part Defecation part Dismember part name a typical BM band here, this is ok...there's worse...not particularly brutal, original or entertaining...l could totally headbang to this when shit faced. Mind you lm drunk and first spliff in so who knows? 6/10

Morbid Angel - Third best album imo, not including demos or split demos etc, Covenant rules but it had that funny phase/wishy washy production thing that Altars and Blessed (although vastly different production) did not. Great tunes great riffs great (soft) drumming but still...7/10

Judas Priest - Yeah lets hear those big 80's glam drums , those pop 80's riffs the dodgy fills and effects and lets say thats up there with Priests best....fuck offf 3/10 saving grace is of course the leads

cool list, always pleased to find new/old music, again, this is a fantastic exercise to partake in, cheers to whomever

Yeah, these drums in that Priest song are awful but how can they not be awful if they were performed by that paedo Holland. Don't know how anyone could call him a musician, he's generic as fuck.

I think they actually used a drum machine on that one. It fits the synthetic 80s vibe imo.

But yeah Holland sux, especially after Screaming for Vengeance.

@Sirjack You're obviously free to have your opinion on The Chasm, but to call them unoriginal is just plain wrong, especially on Deathcult for Eternity. Released in 1998 and having no obvious main influence, The Chasm crafted a piece of insanely original, unique and creative death metal. It just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Witchaven - The Golden Rings Of Blood 8/10
Part starting at 2:37 bumped this up to an 8 for me. Some good black/thrash here.

Bathory - Blood Fire Death 10/10

One of my favourite songs of all time. Hail Bathory. Undeniably epic and majestic. I go back and forth between this and "A Fine Day to Die" for best on the album.

At The Gates - Night Comes, Blood Black 9.5/10

Top 3 album of all time for me right here. This isn't even one of my favourite tracks and it's still a masterpiece. I don't know what At the Gates were on when they made this record, but I've never heard anything that sounds quite like it to this day. Unhinged, demented and way ahead of its time. Lindberg's vocals add an extra dimension here.

Slauter Xstroyes - Blood In The Streets 8.5/10

Fuck yes, HamburgerBoy approved in-crowd metal. This is totally great. (Baroque, he clearly submitted this and not Exodus or Helstar.)

Suffocation - Thrones of Blood 6.5/10

I maintain that Human Waste is the best thing by this band. I can appreciate this, but it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Hail Spirit Noir - Blood Guru 6/10

Well this was totally fucking weird and out there. I'd need to listen to it more to see if I actually like this or hate it, leaning towards the latter after one listen but I dunno. Last half stood out the most. Giving it a 6 for being an interesting submission.

Exodus - Bonded By Blood 9/10

Classic thrash attack. Who doesn't like Bonded by Blood?

Helstar - Baptized In Blood 8.5/10

I love this album. Up there with Ample Destruction in terms of USPM for me.

The Chasm - Revenge Rises/Drowned In The Mournful Blood 10/10

Another top 3 album of all time. Impossible for me to rank the tracks on this record, but if I tried to this wouldn't be near the top I don't think, and yet it's still a 10/10 song. I feel the same way about this album as no country does about Thousand Swords, it just came out of fucking nowhere. 1998, way past the creative peak of the genre and The Chasm decide to release one of my favourite death metal albums ever. Find me another album that sounds like this please. Utterly fucking devastating.

Morbid Angel - Blood On My Hands 7.5/10

There are 5/6 tracks on Covenent that I consider great and unfortunately this isn't one of them. It's not bad though, and I still worship this band based on their first 2.

Judas Priest - Blood Red Skies 6.5/10
Best album title ever. As if this plus "Point of Entry" didn't give anyone clues to Rob's sexuality. Am I missing something here? I can't put this anywhere near Priest's best. Rob's vocals and the leads are the highlight.

Sucks that old wainds forgot to submit "Blood of Christians on My Sword", would have been another 10/10 for me.

He clearly said that there isn't a main influence that you can pinpoint on that album, which is something that I would agree with. It's definitely an album that doesn't really sound like any other death metal album that I've heard.

Reactions: Phylactery
No I didn't. It obviously has influences like all music does. I just can't point to anything that it really sounds like, which was the point I was trying to make.

At least you loved the At the Gates track though, killer album.

Reactions: Sirjack
Witchaven - The Golden Rings of Blood 7/10

This wasn't bad at all. I've never heard this band before.

Bathory - Blood Fire Death 9.5/10

An awesome song from one of my Bathory albums. I'd be disappointed if this wasn't in this round.

At The Gates - Night Comes, Blood Black 9.5/10

At the Gates at their best.

Slauter Xstroyes - Blood in the Streets 8.5/10

I'm a Slauter Xstroyes fan. Lovely.

Suffocation - Thrones of Blood 6/10

This is okay.

Hail Spirit Noir - Blood Guru 4/10

I wasn't really into this song.

Exodus - Bonded by Blood 9/10

This isn't the best song on the album, but this album rules and Paul Baloff is a monster vocalist.

Helstar - Baptized in Blood 9/10

I love the first four Helstar albums. This track rules.

The Chasm - Revenge Rises/Drowned in The Mournful Blood 10/10

This is my favorite track on this playlist. As I stated above, this is a one-of-a-kind album.

Morbid Angel - Blood on My Hands 7/10

Not their best work, but still solid.

Judas Priest - Blood Red Skies 6/10

I'm not really into this Priest album, but the guitar and Halford bump it up a bit.

Yeah, The Chasm is pretty low key in terms of showing off their influences. It's like trying to find the Johnny "Guitar" Watson and Edgar Varese influence in Zappa's music.