Must Have Guitar Albums

Symphony X last night was phenomenal...one of the best live bands I've ever seen...the ease at which they pulled off such complex arrangements was brilliant...Michael Romeo's guitar was inspiring. They did the entire Odyssey epic as the encore. One of the best shows I've ever seen...musically and performance-wise.

On the other hand...Michael Schenker sucks ass...I can't believe he cancelled again. Twice I've had tickets to see him at The Chance and twice he's cancelled. I won't even bother next time. I may have to change my nickname that was given to me 25 years ago.

Symphony X is one the best live bands ever IMO too, can't wait to see them again it's been too long but i'm a few weeks a way for 2 shows!!!!!!what i noticed from the early May New York show they played king of Terrors & Communion & the Oracle (awesome track from V)wich rae not in the current set list.
Sorry to hear about the Schenker deal, don't change your nickname brother i'm sure there must be a great reason for it.

Thanks for posting your opinion i'm so fired up!!!

Symphony X is one the best live bands ever IMO too, can't wait to see them again it's been too long but i'm a few weeks a way for 2 shows!!!!!!what i noticed from the early May New York show they played king of Terrors & Communion & the Oracle (awesome track from V)wich rae not in the current set list.
Sorry to hear about the Schenker deal, don't change your nickname brother i'm sure there must be a great reason for it.

Thanks for posting your opinion i'm so fired up!!!

No, they didn't play those, but it didn't matter. They do quite a few tracks from Paradise Lost including the title track, Domination and Walls of Babylon(sp?).

Back in 1978 when i was 8, i remeber the big hype with the release of Van Halen's debut i was living in Los Angeles at the time so it was huge, i went with my cousin who was my hero and was 10 to Music Revolution to buy the LP when i was debating between a BOC or Kiss lp, an older guy asked me if i liked guitar i said yes, he told me to take a shot on the Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush live lp, i purchased it and till this day it ranks really high on my list incredible palying i was too young too understand but as the years passed by i began to love his playing anyway i recomend to listen that album

Back in 1978 when i was 8, i remeber the big hype with the release of Van Halen's debut i was living in Los Angeles at the time so it was huge, i went with my cousin who was my hero and was 10 to Music Revolution to buy the LP when i was debating between a BOC or Kiss lp, an older guy asked me if i liked guitar i said yes, he told me to take a shot on the Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush live lp, i purchased it and till this day it ranks really high on my list incredible palying i was too young too understand but as the years passed by i began to love his playing anyway i recomend to listen that album

That is a good one, Flavio. In '78, I was 12...I'm sooooo old!:erk:

Strangers In The Night...that is an absolute must have for anyone...even though that bastard cancelled my show!

That is a good one, Flavio. In '78, I was 12...I'm sooooo old!:erk:

Strangers In The Night...that is an absolute must have for anyone...even though that bastard cancelled my show!

Totally Strangers in the Night also ranks high with me, Schenker was on fire on that recording, in 1996 i finally got to see UFO's reunion on the Walk on Water tour here in San Diego the set was Stranger in the Night in the same order with 2 new songs added it was my favorite Schenker performance live from 12 shows, that night you could feel the electricity in the air

Totally Strangers in the Night also ranks high with me, Schenker was on fire on that recording, in 1996 i finally got to see UFO's reunion on the Walk on Water tour here in San Diego the set was Stranger in the Night in the same order with 2 new songs added it was my favorite Schenker performance live from 12 shows, that night you could feel the electricity in the air

I saw him once at the Ritz in NYC back in '83 or '84...it wasn't so hot from what I remember...he had a new temporary singer and they did MSG stuff...MSG doesn't have a lot of great material.

I might be right, but that temporary singer was Ray Kennedy??? he sucked big time, i ordered a VHS from an import shop it was Japan super rock 84' with MSG,Scorpions,Whitesnake,Anvil & Bon Jovi, Whitesnake was awesome it was the Slide it in tour with Powell,Murray & Sykes, anyway the MSG set just sucked ass as soon is this guy opened up his mouth.

I might be right, but that temporary singer was Ray Kennedy??? he sucked big time, i ordered a VHS from an import shop it was Japan super rock 84' with MSG,Scorpions,Whitesnake,Anvil & Bon Jovi, Whitesnake was awesome it was the Slide it in tour with Powell,Murray & Sykes, anyway the MSG set just sucked ass as soon is this guy opened up his mouth.

Yeah that sounds about right. MSG should have wrapped it up after Assault Attack.

I'm looking for some instrumental guitar albums that aren't the same old boring, tired, neoclassical, Yngwie clone, shred nonsense. Any suggestions. My current favorites are Chris Poland's Chasing the Sun and Andy Timmons' Resolution. I just want something that's inspiring, not necessarily technically impossible and jaw dropping...something that's soulful.

Have you checked out Kiko Loureiro from Angra i really enjoyed the album " No Gravity" a lot of styles every song is different.

Paul Gilbert's Get Out Of My Yard is awesome too.

Both albums Flavio said are awesome, and if you like Al Dimeola/Coltrane, check out Kiko's second solo album, “Universo Inverso”, too, one of my favorite jazz fusion albums ever.. Check out Joe Pass' "Virtuoso", from long before Yngwie, Pass is a real virtuoso of his instrument, too (unlike too many shredders get labeled with nowadays).

Mattias "IA" Eklundh is pretty awesome, too, like nothing you've ever heard, he's the Viking version of Buckethead. His myspace (Listen to Lydia's House, or anything really, all his songs are great):

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=47511284

Both albums Flavio said are awesome, and if you like Al Dimeola/Coltrane, check out Kiko's second solo album, “Universo Inverso”, too, one of my favorite jazz fusion albums ever.. Check out Joe Pass' "Virtuoso", from long before Yngwie, Pass is a real virtuoso of his instrument, too (unlike too many shredders get labeled with nowadays).

Mattias "IA" Eklundh is pretty awesome, too, like nothing you've ever heard, he's the Viking version of Buckethead. His myspace (Listen to Lydia's House, or anything really, all his songs are great):

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=47511284

I watched a bunch of Kiko Youtube videos...the Stanley Jordan tapping stuff was nice, but the other is "eh". I hear a lot of Satch in there.

Eklundh should find a melody...sounds like a tame Chris Arp from Psyopus.

I need to get Universo Inverso, it has a lot of awesome reviews in Europe
I really enjoy Pass too.
"IA" i got to see him live at prog power usa in atlanta last year and he puts on a show it was the odd ball of the festival, people were so into it he'll be back this year to co-headline the pre-party with vandenplas also that same night cellador & lance king's new band krucible , "IA" will do a clinic the next day for the gold badge holders, i'm in!!!!, we got to hang out with freak kitchen good bunch of guys.