My rant against metalcore

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
The follwing rant is an expression of my opinions, so try not to take offence.

Nu Metal for the most part was just a fad. And for the most part, it's dead, with a few bands still around. With the death of one fad comes another, but unfourtinally, this new fad has been around for quite a while, and dosen't seem to be dying. That fad is metalcore. This seriously needs to stop, for many reasons. Like Nu Metal, all metalcore bands sound the same. With the exception of a few bands, there is nothing original in the genre. The same old boring shit. Tired and gay lyrics about girls, faild relationships and just all around bitching about everything. Also, the vocalists in these bands all sound like they're chocking on a giganitc cock. Metalcore is pretty much what's wrong with Headbanger's Ball and other metal shows. I for one am sick and tired of turing on one of these shows wanting to seea good metal video, yet I'm subjected to the same generic shit that they play every week! It's not like Jamey Jasta, the host of the Ball isn't a metal fan, in fact, it's not his fault that the show plays such shit. The producers at MTV have shitty taste, and metalcore is the popular trend, so of course that's all they play. This is also the case with digital cable and satelite metal stations. all through out the day nothing but metalcore with some metal thrown in during the day. You have to stay up really late to catch really good metal. Thankfully, my digital metal station isn't like this, but I know many that are.

Basically, metalcore is clogging up the metal communtiy with it's shit. Most of the bands are trend whores, who are gladly providing the populist trash with the same old shit that you can hear from all metalcore bands. Atreayu, who are probably the worst of the worst, and 18 Visions are pretty much the same band. They both look like they were blowing eachother in their mothers closent, and when compared musically, they're pretty much the same. Like I said before, this is not the case with all bands in the genre. There are bands, like Between the Burried and Me, who are doing someting innovative and intresting, and sound completly different than any of the other metalcore bands. But, shit like The Dillinger Escape Plan is popular, and hogging the spotlight. I seriously believe that metalcore needs to be destroyed, sparing the talented bands. It's a plague, and it's epidemic is still spreading.

Oblivious Maximus said:
The Dillinger Escape Plan, Gay metalcore shit.

Actually, they are extremely impressive with what they're doing - on their new album they have all sorts of retarded shit thrown in. They have elements of all sorts of music, while never leaving the color of the music they play. Not only that, but the music is very, very complicated. I don't like them much, but they're almost definetly the most impressive metal-core band I've seen so far.

All the other bands you mentioned really are shit though.

Lamb of God is one of the best bands to ever come out. If Slayer and Pantera had a baby it would be Lamb of God. From the first second I heard them I was hooked. They remind me of the The Accused (vocally)

Buzzard said:
What do you think about, Lamb of God? I think they are heavy as balls.
I also like some of Shawdows falls shit. WHat's your opinion?

I recently watched Hellfest 2002 and Hatebreed and Lamb of God were the headliners.
Guess what t-shirt was the drummer for LoG wearing? Persistence of Time by a certain band that certain people here say has stolen certain ideas from them.... ahem!

You complain that all metalcore sounds exactly the same, then proceed to use The Dillinger Escape Plan (extremely technical jazz-fusion mathcore band who have recently developed a notable Faith No More Angel Dust vibe in their sound), Walls Of Jericho (basically a female fronted Slayer) and Atreyu (emo) as your examples of the lack of diversity of the style? You managed to immediately discredit your entire rant in one single line. Well done.

NB - I agree about Atreyu and 18 Visions though - entirely interchangeable.

Billy - this is probably the first time I've agreed with you on something, but Lamb Of God are amazing, yes. Shadows Fall rock also.

I love LOG!!!! As I lay Dying and the Dillinger Escape plan are also awesome. You don't really look at when albums are released do you Cryptie? D.E.P have been around for quite awhile so I am not sure what bandwagon you are even talking about..Maybe bands are trying to sound like them.Try doing a little research before ranting....I do agree with what you said about Atreyu and 18 visions...They have to be by far the worst crap that I have ever heard in my life. I would listen to St. Anger (another band that needs to seriously go away) before I would listen to them....Shadows Fall blows too....

muffytheVampirelayer said:
Lamb of God is one of the best bands to ever come out. If Slayer and Pantera had a baby it would be Lamb of God. From the first second I heard them I was hooked. They remind me of the The Accused (vocally)

Muff,
they kinda remind me of some Testament(which is good) and they have the same spirit and drive of Pantera when they first started. Never heard the accused though. Are they good??? and what would be a good album to check out?

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
Muff,
they kinda remind me of some Testament(which is good) and they have the same spirit and drive of Pantera when they first started. Never heard the accused though. Are they good??? and what would be a good album to check out?

I love The Accused. Their cover of Id Love to Change The World kicks major ass. I thought I read that they were gonna release a new album.