My rant against metalcore

They are going to release a new album very soon. I was just talking (well email talking) to Blaine and he said that any Accused fan will love it.

The13thCandle said:
I love The Accused. Their cover of Id Love to Change The World kicks major ass. I thought I read that they were gonna release a new album.

My current theory about harcore/metalcore mosh pits is that the music is so awful that the moshers try to put one another out of their misery.

Yeah, especially Dillinger Escape Plan...if you're listening to that to mosh, you are ridiculously retarded...you can't mosh to a math-metal band, and then one with wheezing vocals on top of it...then the elements in the songs themselves!

mentalmeltdown said:
Guess what t-shirt was the drummer for LoG wearing? Persistence of Time by a certain band that certain people here say has stolen certain ideas from them.... ahem!

I am going to do an interview with Gary Meskel from Pro-PAin who I was talking to at the SOD record release party when I said to him " The crumbsuckers should wear those stupid shorts on the stage, because when I think of the crumbsuckers I think of Long Island, The beach and fun. That's exactly what those shorts say to me". Who was standing there?? Scott Ian and Jon Rooney and Scott had a look on his face like he just hit the lottery.
Another thing is Scott is a known liar and stealer of Ideas. When ANTHRAX stole the NYHC logo and I had to save their asses along with Roger from AF. They later stopped using it. WHY? I thought they were hardcore??
ALSO, REad the DAnny Lilker interview on my news page. DAnny Lilker calls scott a flat out liar for Stealing all his Ideas, Riffs, The name ANTHRAX that Danny Lilker thought of, But more importantly Scott steals Danny's story on how he came up with the name. FACT! Read the interview.
So I WILL BE VINDICATED, and you will see what losers and liars ANTHRAX really are. Look at the whole Pantera rippoff.
SAME BEARD, SAME AMPS, SAME CABINETS, SAME GUITAR COMP. Disgusting.

Oblivious Maximus said:
The follwing rant is an expression of my opinions, so try not to take offence.

Nu Metal for the most part was just a fad. And for the most part, it's dead, with a few bands still around. With the death of one fad comes another, but unfourtinally, this new fad has been around for quite a while, and dosen't seem to be dying. That fad is metalcore. This seriously needs to stop, for many reasons. Like Nu Metal, all metalcore bands sound the same. With the exception of a few bands, there is nothing original in the genre. The same old boring shit. Tired and gay lyrics about girls, faild relationships and just all around bitching about everything. Also, the vocalists in these bands all sound like they're chocking on a giganitc cock. Metalcore is pretty much what's wrong with Headbanger's Ball and other metal shows. I for one am sick and tired of turing on one of these shows wanting to seea good metal video, yet I'm subjected to the same generic shit that they play every week! It's not like Jamey Jasta, the host of the Ball isn't a metal fan, in fact, it's not his fault that the show plays such shit. The producers at MTV have shitty taste, and metalcore is the popular trend, so of course that's all they play. This is also the case with digital cable and satelite metal stations. all through out the day nothing but metalcore with some metal thrown in during the day. You have to stay up really late to catch really good metal. Thankfully, my digital metal station isn't like this, but I know many that are.

Basically, metalcore is clogging up the metal communtiy with it's shit. Most of the bands are trend whores, who are gladly providing the populist trash with the same old shit that you can hear from all metalcore bands. Atreayu, who are probably the worst of the worst, and 18 Visions are pretty much the same band. They both look like they were blowing eachother in their mothers closent, and when compared musically, they're pretty much the same. Like I said before, this is not the case with all bands in the genre. There are bands, like Between the Burried and Me, who are doing someting innovative and intresting, and sound completly different than any of the other metalcore bands. But, shit like The Dillinger Escape Plan is popular, and hogging the spotlight. I seriously believe that metalcore needs to be destroyed, sparing the talented bands. It's a plague, and it's epidemic is still spreading.

Atreyu pissed me off right off the bat, before I'd even heard them, with their "fuck black sabbath" comments in interviews(right before playing ozzfest, no less). They also claim to not be metalcore. Uh, okay.

Yeah, all those bands sound the same. Some are cool, I like shadows fall, don't know if they're really considered metalcore or not. But all these 18 visions, bleeding through, avenged sevenfold type bands have got to go.

Well Scott did jump on the whole Randall thing after having played with Dime, but I wouldn´t call it stealing, let´s say he was influenced. He has completely different wibe and style of playing, anyway.
I actually think Paul Crook´s style was pretty similar to Darrell´s.

I hear ya Billy, and I agree with you......Why do you have to keep saying it??
I believe everything you've said about Scott Ian, reason being is that seeing is believing and once I've read it here (Once or I don't know NINE times later)
And you look at the situtation it's obvious that he's a fucking scumbag.

But Bill, you're coming off as obsessed with these losers...You're not going to change the diehard anthrax fans mind, no matter how many times you beat them on the head with facts & truth...........they're blind to it.

I for one don't think you need vindication and I think that most of us take your side of this argument anyway, hell the only time there was any conflict was when the sheep showed up to try and defend their sad position as anthrax fans.

It's your site, and I'm not trying to piss you off...But you might want to try and find something else to post about.

That's it...my .02

Buzzard said:
I am going to do an interview with Gary Meskel from Pro-PAin who I was talking to at the SOD record release party when I said to him " The crumbsuckers should wear those stupid shorts on the stage, because when I think of the crumbsuckers I think of Long Island, The beach and fun. That's exactly what those shorts say to me". Who was standing there?? Scott Ian and Jon Rooney and Scott had a look on his face like he just hit the lottery.
Another thing is Scott is a known liar and stealer of Ideas. When ANTHRAX stole the NYHC logo and I had to save their asses along with Roger from AF. They later stopped using it. WHY? I thought they were hardcore??
ALSO, REad the DAnny Lilker interview on my news page. DAnny Lilker calls scott a flat out liar for Stealing all his Ideas, Riffs, The name ANTHRAX that Danny Lilker thought of, But more importantly Scott steals Danny's story on how he came up with the name. FACT! Read the interview.
So I WILL BE VINDICATED, and you will see what losers and liars ANTHRAX really are. Look at the whole Pantera rippoff.
SAME BEARD, SAME AMPS, SAME CABINETS, SAME GUITAR COMP. Disgusting.

Oblivious Maximus said:
To me, The Dillinger Escape Plan is annoying, retarded crap. I really don't see how people like that shit. Every time I hear it I want to rip my brain out.

Might as well go ahead, you clearly won't miss it much. Oh, and as trendy and 'cool' this style of music has become, jumping on the fellow bandwagon of chest beating 'grrr metalcore is not metal it's not true BLOOD AND FIRE RAAA' is equally as sad and empty - it's just the other side of exactly the same coin. If your rant was even vaguely coherent and sensible, I'd probably have agreed with you.

Avenged Sevenfold is the worst of the bunch....I CANNOT stand to hear that band at all. Man I get angry just thinking how shitty they are.Those guys bring suckiness to a whole new level..O/T Who has bought the new Helmet? I bought about a month ago and I have to admit after reading all of the crappy reviews of that album, I was completely surprised at how good it is. It totally blows away Aftertaste.

dill_the_devil said:
Might as well go ahead, you clearly won't miss it much. Oh, and as trendy and 'cool' this style of music has become, jumping on the fellow bandwagon of chest beating 'grrr metalcore is not metal it's not true BLOOD AND FIRE RAAA' is equally as sad and empty - it's just the other side of exactly the same coin. If your rant was even vaguely coherent and sensible, I'd probably have agreed with you.

Want me to give you a better one for him? Ok...metalcore is gay. It's what happens to metal when suburbian douches from tennesee get involved after Nirvana influences everything. If you've noticed the grunge and rap-metal influences in metalcore, then you can easily agree. Why is there no such thing as metalcore in Europe? BECAUSE METAL WAS NEVER KILLED BY NIRVANA THERE! Ok, I know everyone here doesn't want to here it, fuck you. U.S. METAL WAS SHOT IN 1992 AND IS TAKING ITS TIME GETTING RESSURECTED. And that's why I don't like metalcore. It tries to take loud guitars and fast drums (which I like) and meld it with a specific attitude that can be found in rap-metal, or in a combination of Nirvana and 50 Cent (which I DESPISE). The riffs have a pathetic sound to them, the drumming is rarely impressive unless you just get mind boggled by every hyperspeed drummer ever - not a single metalcore drummer really does anything particularly creative - and so annoys me, the bass is as usual with trendy bands, laughable - I have YET to see a metalcore (or rapcore, nu-metal, glam metal, punk, etc.) band use a bass guitar in a manner other than to make the guitars heavier, and the vocals are very very far from anything new or interesting - out of control screaming? We've heard it before, Atreyu, and it's extremely cliche regardless, and so is trying to rip off Death Metal bands. Oh, and one last thing: NO SOLOS. That's one of my main points against anything trendy (except glam, but they were trying to immitate the underground.)

Note: about none of the above applies to the Dillinger Escape Plan.

But why are you here? (don't take this the wrong way Billy, I loved The Rebel You Love to Hate) Not like Milano's music is brilliant. I would have expected a rant that was half-finished, or written without much concentration involved, rather than coming and finding a highly sophisticated discussion on the various tone an modal patterns found in cadences of metal-core songs, and the net effect on the expression of the key of the song, and the way a minor 6th will allow the harmonies a different tone color.

coolsnow7 said:
Want me to give you a better one for him? Ok...metalcore is gay. It's what happens to metal when suburbian douches from tennesee get involved after Nirvana influences everything. If you've noticed the grunge and rap-metal influences in metalcore, then you can easily agree. Why is there no such thing as metalcore in Europe? BECAUSE METAL WAS NEVER KILLED BY NIRVANA THERE! Ok, I know everyone here doesn't want to here it, fuck you. U.S. METAL WAS SHOT IN 1992 AND IS TAKING ITS TIME GETTING RESSURECTED. And that's why I don't like metalcore. It tries to take loud guitars and fast drums (which I like) and meld it with a specific attitude that can be found in rap-metal, or in a combination of Nirvana and 50 Cent (which I DESPISE). The riffs have a pathetic sound to them, the drumming is rarely impressive unless you just get mind boggled by every hyperspeed drummer ever - not a single metalcore drummer really does anything particularly creative - and so annoys me, the bass is as usual with trendy bands, laughable - I have YET to see a metalcore (or rapcore, nu-metal, glam metal, punk, etc.) band use a bass guitar in a manner other than to make the guitars heavier, and the vocals are very very far from anything new or interesting - out of control screaming? We've heard it before, Atreyu, and it's extremely cliche regardless, and so is trying to rip off Death Metal bands. Oh, and one last thing: NO SOLOS. That's one of my main points against anything trendy (except glam, but they were trying to immitate the underground.)

Note: about none of the above applies to the Dillinger Escape Plan.

I hear alot of solos in metalcore. That's one of its few redeeming qualities.

Buzzard said:
So I WILL BE VINDICATED, and you will see what losers and liars ANTHRAX really are.

I know your views on Anthrax so I'm not going to get into an argument since I am a fan of both Anthrax and SOD. And I'm not as interested in the people behind the songs as I am in the music itself. But I do want to hear what someone else has to say about this argument or confirm either side of the story - someone other than an insider (i.e. you, Dan, Charlie or Scott).

corpseripper said:
I hear alot of solos in metalcore. That's one of its few redeeming qualities.

Then I must have missed the redeeming metalcore or some shit...Lamb of God doesn't solo, Dillinger Escape Plan doesn't solo, Throwdown doesn't solo, Atreyu doesn't solo, etc. Only one I can think of that even has leads is Between the Buried and Me, and I personally don't entirely consider them metal-core.

dill_the_devil said:
I didn't know the worlds most intelligent person in the world posted in the Milano forum. When did I say "GRRRR!!!! IT'S NOT TRUE!!!"? Also, rants aren't supposed to be coherent.

Never claimed to be the world's most intelligent person, but if you're going to rag on an entire style of music, it's best not to shoot yourself in the foot by proving with your examples how little you actually know about the subject. Especially if it's on the internet. Even I know that.

Coolsnow7 - much better, thanks! I can tell you've listened to a fair number of bands in the style, and while the 50 Cent comparison has made me go somewhat cross-eyed, in general I see where you're coming from. However, there are European metalcore bands - Caliban, for example - but they're either playing catch-up to the American style or flirting with Gothenburg influences.

As for why I'm here - I tend to flit about forums looking for interesting discussions, and I saw the thread 'my rant against metalcore' next to this forum and thought I'd check it out. Generally I stick to posting album reviews and interviews for the site. :)

gaschamber said:
fuck any band with ANYONE with dreadlocks.

What even Bad Brains??? Surely you cannot be serious! Even Rich Hoak from Brutal Truth? At the Gates?

Didn't Lilker have dreads at some point?

Yo...I dont even know what "metalcore" is. I know that the past 6 or 7 years hasnt done much for the world of music. As for modern bands that are good, Id say Madball, Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, Lamb of God are some kick a@@ bands. I would have even said some of Slipknot, but dude...they wear costumes. Thats no good. Im diggin the new AF stuff as well....I guess when it comes to really good music, I gotta look thru the archives and grab the oldie but goodie bands. This nu metal stuff is on its way out. Lets just hope that this really annoying wave of pop punk crap follows. Bring back the real metal.